God dammit this book is so boring I'm 400 pages in and I'm about to give up reading it is one of the most tedious...

God dammit this book is so boring I'm 400 pages in and I'm about to give up reading it is one of the most tedious activities I've ever engaged in this books is so fucking repetitive jesus christ what is the point of making this almost 600 pages when every chapter says the same fucking thing what is the point of even reading past the introduction

Other urls found in this thread:

yanisvaroufakis.eu/2014/10/08/6006/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well, economics isn't meant to be a thrill a minute. And it's important to state and give evidence for every little piece of your thesis - that's why Wealth of Nations is 1200+ pages and the original Kapital took three volumes. Just find a more layman-oriented book on the same topic if you're finding it too much, no one could really blame you.

thanks for the blogpost, me'laddi-o

Economics is a waste of time. You find a thousand pages meticulously outlining with perfect logical consistency how the entire world operates and then some other autist will publish another giant door stopper outlining why everything the last guy said is completely wrong

That's how every field of scholarship works.

That's what you get for falling for the meme.

I don't think its as radical in other fields though. Like in Biology you don't see people still arguing about whether Darwin was completely false.

I studied economics and don't find any of the text difficult. It is just incredibly boring.

It is also factually wrong so you can probably just leave it.

This book exists almost solely for Paul Krugman to masturbate too, and aside from the central thesis of THE RICH ARE GETTING RICHER AND POOR ARE GETTING POORER says not that much of interest. This book exists within and synthesizes a zeitgeist of left-leaning economic thought, but can't be bothered to actually produce useful new economic ideas.

The suggestions in the book are risible. As an example, how precisely does Thomas Piketty plan to add a "global wealth tax" and apply it to everyone around the globe? There is absolutely no way to do that. If such a tax were implemented it would basically only punish the wealthy in countries with proper legal systems and tax enforcement mechanisms, who would then just find other places to stash their dosh.

Is it even worth it to learn about economics?

I've never had an interest in it, but everyone treats it like it's the most important thing ever to know about, but I don't work with money or anything so I don't know what to do with that knowledge if I had it.

Don't waste your time it isn't called the dismal science for nothing. Different stating axioms and assumptions can produce wildly different conclusions. Most political economists just produce stuff that conforms to their political ideology anyway.

It completely isn't the most important thing. Economics is so popular atm because most people in government are radical centrists, technocrats basically who believe that every problem has a technical solution. Economics is a great candidate for that because it is the social science which is most reliably mathematical.

Its current popularity doesn't say much about its efficacy for actually explaining human behaviour

>CAPITAL
>it's all in capital letters

2profound4me

Read some of Nassim Taleb's books to tangentially learn about economics and more importantly why it's unimportant (or outright harmful).

Pic related is a far more interesting economist.

Also has a good critique of Piketty: yanisvaroufakis.eu/2014/10/08/6006/

There ya go.
This guy I like.

pls be my gf

That's because biology is a harder science than economics

holy fuck, this book is very easy to read as it's made for general readers. The introduction to the history of economics is really well done in the beginning. But did anyone else feel the ending was a non-sequitor, or at least was not justified well enough and did not quite seem relevant to the data? Piketty articulates the problem of modern capital accumulation, and does not necessarily HAVE to come up with a solution, but tries to and it just comes off as the basic European modern liberal idea of endlessly expanding education and throwing money into the public sector

Nobody would care about the book if it weren't for the policy recommendations.

Of course, a book can be flexed to any page lengths-within reason. My point being that although not totally stupid, your 1200+ number for that text sounds to me to be "silly" for a given edition to have. Pages for a dense work don't have to be, and frankly /shouldn't/, be /that/ sparse.

Based upon my fairly, but not ridiculously dense Prometheus (590pp), 1200 pages really does start to sound silly. My point, again, is that your 1200+ number for such a text is /unreasonably sparse/.

Immediatley discontinue using your stupid trip and leave this website. You now remember that you were unwanted and unrespected before, and you remain so. No one likes you, and no one cares what you have to say, and this not because you are particularly right or trencheant about anything, but because you are just a simple bore and we know it. Just leave and give up.

>Says the boor.

>leave this website.
I *am* going to take a shower. Enjoy my absence. Oh and figure out how to use filters or something

You should definitely have, at least, an introductory understanding of economics if you want to be a well-informed voter.
There are some valid criticisms of economics as a field of study, but it's by far the best tool we have at the moment.

It's a real easy and compelling read. Don't let your ADD get the better of you, amd take a little break if need be.

You mean Darwin summed up in about 3 or 4 lines?

People argue for, against or add more work upon Darwin all the time.

>taking Taleb seriously

>Well, economics isn't meant to be a thrill a minute.

And yet Sowell achieved just that in Basic Economics, which is a great read.

>Runs an anti-EU/Eurosceptic campaign
>Turns out to be the biggest EU shill on Earth

POTTERY

>global wealth tax

Pikkety knows this is ridiculous and involve the creation of an impossibly extensive bureaucracy, he just throws it out there.

I'm doing a minor in economics. Ask me whatever you want.

europeans are KEKS. all of their leaders are ugly females