Marinara Sauce

Help me you co/ck/suckers, my marinara sauce always tastes like bland shit. Absolutely no flavor in the end.

What am I doing wrong? What is your go to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-h6ToaL6Qg8
youtube.com/watch?v=KT7W9oJP6BI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do you use fresh or canned tomatoes? How long do you cook it for? What kind of spices and herbs do you use?

Do you use roma tomatoes, salt, sugar, garlic, and oregano?

My usual technique:

Heat olive oil - cook off onions & garlic, add some tomato paste once those are done, cook a few minutes.

Add crushed tomatoes (canned), oregano, thyme, basil, salt, black pepper, bring to boil and then simmer for a few hours.

Everyone on here is gonna say its heresy, but add some cayenne.

what do you want your marinara sauce to taste like?

habenero is my go to

this, except i use real tomatoes & canned tomato sauce

You're not slick, Chef John

Stepup your canned tomato game that's basically it san marzano

Add a glass of red dry wine and let it reduce. Even a shitty one will make it better

have you tried using salt

OP here, this is basically what I do but I still find it lacking. Should I just add more of everything or maybe double the salt?

At the end of the day I find it tastes very "weak" just not like much of anything.

bump

his recipe for marinara is actually good though

Butter.

Throw in some wine after the onions and garlic and some anchovy paste at the end too.

Several hours? Really? Keep in mind, canned tomatoes have already been cooked. Cook them for several hours and you're going to need to add a ton of sugar and some baking soda to take the acidic edge off.

Add a little bit of tomato paste. You don't want to cook the whole mixture for very long because it will get bitter, so you can't spend a long time reducing it. You might also want a better brand of crushed tomato.

I also suggest using FRESH crushed garlic (either crush it with the flat of a knife or do it properly with a mortar and pestle) instead of minced. Dried or fresh parsley near the end is also good for marinara.

I've always done minced garlic and fresh tomatoes for a few hours to let it reduce. Haven't had any issues with taste.

Add anchovy fillet with your onions. You can add carrot and celery diced really fine too. Use wine too if you like.

Cook onion, garlic, couple bay leaves. Add in half cup of kalamata olives and a bunch of torn basil. Add two cans of tomatoes drained and crushed. Cook for awhile to reduce liquid. Add a good pinch of sugar, then a load of salt and some pepper.

Love me some olives. I always just make zucchini and squash peelings cooked in another pan with salt/pepper and add them to the chunky sauce. Instant meal. I'll add meat if I have any but it's just fine without.

The absolute perfect Sunday Gravy.

Just follow this process.

Watch, learn, cook, teach.

youtu.be/-h6ToaL6Qg8

Look up Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce. Cut the butter down to 3tbsp and youre good to go senpai

Protip, toast your garlic.
You put that shit in a pot without onions and caramelize it, use the onions to deglaze. Soften the onions then add bay leaf and thyme. Cook until fragrant.
Step by step to develop flavors one by one. I use whole peeled canned tomatoes, and puree them. It's different then buying tomato puree. You can also just crush em yourself for a super chunky sauce. Cook it down for like 45 minutes, add sugar if it needs it and salt+pepper.
Finish with butter and chopped fresh basil, fresh diced tomatoes if you like. You must use solid butter, and stir it in before it melts or it will separate back out.

If it needs more flavor, add more stuff. To One Number 10 can of tomatos I use about a half cup of chopped garlic and a whole white onion. if using fresh thyme about 1/4 ounce weighed with the stems, then picked.

This

I like to use Knorr Vegetable Stock Potâ„¢. What the Stock Pot does is it seasons the sauce.

buy fresh herbs or grow them, or at least fresh spices. don't use old dusty stuff

I keep waiting for him to pass out from that breathing. Holy shit.

Why don't people blend the garlic onions and tomatoes together in a blender? Wouldn't that mix all the flavors the best and make it a smooth sauce?

add a bit of chorizo sausage into the oil fry it for a few minutes then continue

>>not using fresh oregano and basil
>>FUCKING FAGGOT
You definitely deserve a fucking band for not using fresh herbs you fucking faggot

I find an old Italian joint and buy their sauce in quantity. They know how to make it better than I ever will.

How long do I cook it for once I've added the tomatoes?

I usually use whole canned tomatoes, is that bad?

Do I need to add tomato paste if I cook it long enough?

Is adding clam juice haram?

about 30 mins minimum, although I usually add some stock so I need to evaporate all that out, so basically whenever it's the right consistency, I'm done

no, not at all, I usually do about half fresh and half canned tho, cherry tomatoes usually give it the best color and flavour

usually not if you have enough tomatoes in there, probably better to use it for heavier sauces like a bolognese

yes, very

>mortar and pestle
You will end up with minced garlic all the same.
>parsley in marinara
Useless.
>dried parsley
Even more useless
>slow cooking tomatoes makes them bitter
Demonstrably false.

>using non-Italian ingredients
fucking Chicagoans

When should I use parsley senpai?

>All those uncultured garlic plebs
I have a system, I cut it with a razor blade and it gets so thin it just liquefies in the pan with only a little oil. It's a very good system

In the end it's up to your personal tastes.

[spoiler]After all, you are the capybara of your marinara.[/spoiler]

The best way to make marinara is to make puttanesca instead.

good god cooking is like going to the gym for him
did you see the sweat fall on the meat?
and what was the nasty black thing in his garlic?
christ

>not just choppping it finely then mashing into a paste with some salt and the back of your knife]
top pleb

>oregano
Should only be used for pizza.

>Several hours? Really? Keep in mind, canned tomatoes have already been cooked. Cook them for several hours and you're going to need to add a ton of sugar and some baking soda to take the acidic edge off.
You are wrong or are using a shit brand of canned tomatoes.

I do a couple different kinds of red sauces, but for straight marinara, I would grate a carrot and an onion and crush some garlic, cook that out in my pot, make some space and throw in some tomato paste, caramelize that a bit, deglaze with some shitty white wine and reduce it a bit, then add some San marzano style tomatoes and let them slow cook. Mash it up at the end, or hit it with a stick blender depending on how you want the consistency to be, and at the end salt a bit of red chili flake. It takes more salt than you think you need, in my opinion. The chili flake isn't there for heat, it makes the tomato flavor really pop and adds brightness.

A note on the wine: I prefer a dry white because I'm not looking to add wine flavor to the sauce, certain flavor components in tomatoes are alcohol soluble, so really you're making the sauce more tomato--y. Vodka would probably have the same effect, but then it would be a vodka sauce and not marinara (although I suppose this isn't strictly marinara either.)

That would just burn your garlic to a crisp though

youtube.com/watch?v=KT7W9oJP6BI

I can tell you that it's been cooked for 20000 years and has a lot of gelatin and the main ingredient is tomat

>copying techniques from movies