Salmon Dishes/Fish general

Howdy folks, I recently bought a 2lb bag of frozen skin-on salmon fillets from walmart

I've never cooked salmon and would like some suggestions.

I plan on making a green salad with the meal and some wild rice.

any recipes or advice would be appreciated.

General fish thread as well, I suppose

Other urls found in this thread:

patiodaddiobbq.com/2010/03/slammin-salmon.html?m=1)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

cut skin off.
mince it up with a knife
add bell pepper
onion
garlic
old bay
salt and pepper
bread crumbs

patty, chill then fry in a pan.

Salt, pepper and old bay or salt and lemon pepper. Cook at 425 until flakes and is opaque. Can also use curry power for season.

I'll have to try that sometime, but I wasnt planning on making fish cakes/ fish burgers tonight. plus the skin is the best part.

noted. unsure about the curry powder however. seems pretty strong to me.

Thaw
Brush with butter + soy sauce
Add lemon pepper to flesh side
Broil for around 15 minutes
Easy as pie and pretty tasty. For crispy skin you might want to look into a cast iron recipe or grill

Look, salmon itself is a godly fish. There is neither need nor the opportunity to use it as a blank canvas. You gotta preserve the natural flavor of the salmon and magnify it.

Coat it with some melted butter, or spray on I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray.

Sprinkle some citrus-based seasoning; the specific type doesn't matter as long as you can plainly smell the orange. If you have lemon juice, use it sparingly.

Drizzle with a little bit of honey.

Place SMALL dashes of minced garlic onto the filets.

Bake at 420 for about 15 minutes.

I agree. I've ate a lot of salmon - good and bad - and i know less is more.

I'm leaning towards pan frying the salmon though. I dont really feel like preheating/oven shenanigans. you're advice is solid though.

This. Salmon is simply incredible and doesn't need to be fucked with. Don't do shit like this, there is absolutely no need and you're going to ruin it Take the fillet, add a thin film of oil or non-stick spray and stick it in the oven or grill

DONT REMOVE THE SKIN

ONLY A RETARD WOULD REMOVE THE SKIN FROM SALMON

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW FUCKING GOOD THAT SHIT TASTES

>enjoying frozen salmon from walmart
It's one step above canned.

I didn't see that part.

OP, never buy frozen salmon. Every frozen salmon I have ever had was complete fucking dog shit.

>honey
Honey glazed salmon is the shit. Whenever the dining hall served it, I would be sure to take multiple pieces. The combination works so well.

Even salmon eat each other's skin at a certain point in their lives.

That alone should serve as a testament to flavor.

Go to the Pacific Northwest, catch a salmon, eat it raw.

OP is probably non-white. They can never understand how white people can enjoy the taste of food without drowning it out with other shit. They do not appreciate high quality ingredients. They buy frozen/old shit.

Unless he lives on the coast it's going to be previously frozen filets that've been thawed and left sitting in a caseline for days anyway.

That's not true at all. I can get fresh wildcaught sockeye salmon flown in overnight in season (July and August) and I live in bumfuck flyover. And farm raised fresh, never frozen can be bought year round. This ain't the 70's Grandpa.

OP here: thanks for the discussion and input everybody

alright, first of all: i'd buy fresh fish if i didnt live in the middle of the continent and if it didnt cost 14$/lb. 7$ for 2lb of salmon is the poor man's option

i took 's advice

mixed 2tbsp soy sauce with some orange zest, olive oil, tsp sugar

brush it onto the salmon and fried in 1tbsp oil. (it was too much oil)

it looks like complete ass because im new to the cooking scene, but it tasted good.

cooked some chives in the leftover oil, served with wild rice, salad, and the sacrificed zest orange

You did alright OP. Ditch the soy sauce next time.

>how to ruin good salmon
fuck off with your bullshit fishballs.

>any recipes or advice would be appreciated.

Just got back from fishing on the Manistee River MI where a buddy caught a brown trout and all he did was filet it with the skin on, breaded it with crackers or something and tossed it on the grill, skin-side down.

Tasted great.

>Retards wanting to preserve the integrity of frozen farm raised salmon

Unless you are a hilljack that eats fish once a month`fish balls' is the perfect recipe for this product.

You're retarded.

>walmart has a great seafood selection

Walmart shill or bumpkin? You decide.

You forgot eggs to help bind it

True, but I'd use mayo/dijon combo. Maybe a bit of olive oil.

True. Any time I make salmon cakes which is rare, I always add mayo, eggs and dijon

I have to agree. Trying to cook frozen farm raised salmon like fresh wild caught will be terribly dissapointing. Freezing is particularly damaging to the texture of salmon. It's probably the primary reason so many amerilards think they hate salmon, because they've only had frozen.

>amerilards think they hate salmon, because they've only had frozen

Europoor, please.

Salmon fishing is a hugely popular sport in the U.S. and we catch bazillions of them every year.

There is an over abundance of farm raised garbage here in the states unfortunately. The difference between typical farm raised and wild caught is huge. Restaurants, especially chains in particular all sell "Atlantic" salmon. That's your indicator it's farm raised shit. People just don't educate themselves enough to know the difference so they assume it all is and tastes the same. At least there are some companies doing some really nice responsible farming such as ORA King Salmon and Hidden Fjords out of the Faroe Islands. This is certainly much better than any other farm raised salmon.

>Salmon fishing is a hugely popular sport in the U.S. and we catch bazillions of them every year.

Indeed. But, surely you, as an American, have noticed that for every fisherman that catches wild salmon him/herself, there are a hundred who only know frozen.

And? We still love salmon.

Hello fellow MI bro. I always lightly flour and fry in butter, or smoke if smoking meat, but coating in ritz or salteen crackers hadn't occurred to me. Will try.

Yuropoors, particularly in the UK, don't have the freedom to go out fishing for trout and salmon, they "belong" to the queen and is a sport for the posh set. See also: pheasant and deer hunting. Yet another reason why the lot of them are limey cocksucking faggots.

Fry in butter in a pan, salmon already tastes good

Put in foil

Put a stick of butter in there

Squeeze some lemon juice in there

Top off with some dill, pepper and salt

Grill that shit for a little while

Salmon isn't hard

>stick of butter

blitz thyme, deseeded scotch bonnet, garlic, a little lemon juice, and raw coco oil and coat 150g portions of salmon, leave for 48h
put a nice wee sear on them before covering with the thickest cream you have to hand. Serve on a bed of wholewheat pasta with a rosemary and a glass of Soave or similar

You can't go wrong with a classic.

If you've got a smoker, plank that shit. But some planks (expensive at grocery stores, cheap at hardware store... Get untreated cedar and cut to size). Slap fish on plank. Crack salt/pepper on it. Slather it in a good mustard. Give it the necessary smoke time and happy days.

You can make a diy smoker if'n you gots redneck engineering in your blood.

Baked salmon. It's easy and low-effort: add just a little bit of water, sprinkle some garlic salt and pepper, cover with foil and place in oven (375 degrees F) for about 25-40 minutes (depending on the thickness and amount; I tend to cook two fillets at a time).

You can have it as-is or toss some of it into a salad, prep it the same way you would for tuna sandwiches or crackers, have with ramen noodles or however you can think of.

I recently had cold noodles with salmon as a sort of salad: drained water from noodles (ditch the seasoning packet), rinsed in cold water, add tomato, cucumber, greens, salmon, minced fresh garlic, olive oil, mix in ranch dressing.

Today, I mixed some into pico de gallo (AKA salsa) with pineapple, plain yoghurt/sour cream and hot sauce for dipping tortilla chips. Tastes great.

>Yuropoors, don't have the freedom to go out fishing for trout and salmon
>norway, with a higher gdp per capita than the US, is one of the biggest exporters of high quality salmon in the world.

What's the problem, son?

the brands that I get for wild caught are good.
i've also thought about fishing and catching my own.

Not enjoying a nice and buttery grilled salmon. OP has a lot of fish so a stick isnt too nuts

Not op, but would you lay it meat down or skin down? Mustard on both or just one side?

Skin down on soaked but dry plank. Mustard on top only. Don't go crazy, but get a nice layer of glistening.

>tfw salmon tastes so good and you painfully learn that you have a salmon allergy later that day

My family eats salmon at least once a month and our favorite recipes are:
1) Misozuke (pic related)
2) Cedar plank (patiodaddiobbq.com/2010/03/slammin-salmon.html?m=1)

HOW DO?

"Okay guys, I'm going to take a Wes Anderson overhead shot of the salmon. Before that though, can one of you guys throw some cracked black pepper all over the fucking table?"

if it was farmed you probably reacted to something other than the fish

Marinade in Teriyaki for 2 hours or more
Fucking quickly fry in some oil strips of ginger for topping
On high heat griddle salmon skin down for 3 mins and then skin up for 2 mins or until it's cooked
Get some.rice and salad and drizzle teriyaki over salmon and rice and and top with ginger

I'm in Japan and one of my coworkers showed me a restaurant nearby that serves 活き造り, basically they bop the fish on the head and slice it down the side to paralyze it so that it can't jump all the way off your plate, and you dig in while it's still alive and flopping.

Now I'm curious: Can fish feel pain? I'm all for exploring new foods but this seems unnecessarily cruel if they can. I just fucking googled it and it's a bunch of arguing over the definition of 'pain', figured I'd ask the opinion of people in here who maybe kill fish regularly what you think from how they react. I'm no vegan but for conscious creatures that can feel pain I'd prefer they get a merciful and swift death.

>teryaki
>ginger
>rice
I'm not a weaboo.

I don't think I've met anyone even poor fags that hate salmon at least not white people. You can get fresh salmon anywhere in the US easy as fuck.

Also I don't want to start a new thread but I have some yellow fin tuna steaks and I have no idea what to make with them, ideas please.

More like white people have broken tongues and are incapable of discerning more than a couple flavors at a time otherwise they get "overwhelmed". Literally everybody in the world knows that a good steak is simply made better with a good sauce. The sauce differs depending on culture but its there everywhere in the world except at up their own ass semi expensive white steak houses

Its even sadder because it seems even more limited to the specific seasoning of salt and pepper since a lot of those same people bitch and moan about subtler dishes, like a lot of Japanese cuisine, for its lack of flavor.

>white people
>like steaks simple with salt and pepper so the delicious flavor and texture of the meat is the highlight
>broken tongues because they won't obliterate the flavor with a sauce

I'd check your head because it appears to be broken, shitskin.

They definitely can; but if they've actually been paralyzed then they won't.

>Can fish feel pain
Ask yourself how long a species would live if it physically couldn't feel pain. Of course they feel pain, the way their brain registers pain is different which is what the real argument is.

Leave the skin on and follow 's advice

That sucks user.

Your wild caught will always be your best bet for sure. Copper River sockeye = yum!

Best steaks in the world are not in white countries.
I assume you're a pleb that hasn't been to a Michelin starred place. Every single one in Japan that serves steak, serves it with a sauce.

Best steaks in the world are hogs breath 18 hour slow cooked prime rib with creamy garlic prawns on top and a side of hogtail fries