Sauron was destroyed 3000yrs ago

>sauron was destroyed 3000yrs ago
>no visible technological, economic or social innovation within this 3000yrs
why?

tolkien's universe is lacking the higgs boson which is indirectly responsible for capitalism in our universe

Because it's a absurd fantasy story, nothing more. Fuck off

tolkiens world is fleshed out like not much else, full of magic, but there was no kind of innovation or development technology wise, that's the only thing that bothers me. also:

>first ever post on Veeky Forums
>asking something about a well known and loved piece of literature
>probably there is something in the lore about it i have missed
>get told to "fuck off"
is this /x/?

It's because Tolkien was a luddite who equated technological advancement with warfare and cruelty. That's why the evil powers of Middle Earth are industrialized and the good guys live in an agrar society

if you can't use it to feed your superiority complex, it's not ~real~ literature

that's a good point, thank you!

Keep in mind that what we consider to be the 'normal' pace of technological advancement is ahistorical - centuries of stagnation is the true norm. The same person/power bloc being in charge that long is weird, but makes sense in universe because Sauron is basically a demigod.

actually, Godel's Incompleteness Theorem implies that the existence of the Higgs boson is inherently uncertain

What we consider to be normal is literally the only example we have to go off of. What examples can you name where a society stagnated at the level of technological advancement seen in ancient middle earth/mordor?

How much did the Greek advance technologically, econimically and socially during their Bronze Age which started around 3200BC until the Bronze Age collapse around 1200BC?

Africa

I'm not even memeing, they went from hunter gatherers to pockets of early medieval technology in about 100 000 years.

Not really, they don't live in an agrarian society but a non urbanised society in the industrial sense. So there are still water mills and things in the countryside, but no super city full of steam powered factories. It's early industrialization vs slightly later.

Fantasy isn't literature, you redditor newfag.

Technologically, quite significantly, when you consider such creations as the antikythera.

Pic related is a modern reconstruction of its mechanisms. The only thing that stopped it being accurate was that the the Almagest and Keplar's Second Law were not yet put forward.

It would be centuries before the world invented anything remotely similar/intricate.

Any number over 6000 is memeing.

Lmao. Regardless, no society has ever stagnated at the level of technological sophistication seen in ancient middle earth. While I see what you're saying, hunter gatherer is a much lower stage than medieval.

>he doesn't know that Middle Earth is a post-apocalyptic setting

The first literate, urban civilization was Sumeria, in 3000 BC. Firearms first saw widespread military use over 4000 years later, and that was the entire world's technological progression rate - not just one nation. I picked weapons as a technology index because it's LOTR, but if you don't like that pick your own measure of progress - odds are it started a long, long time ago and stayed pretty much the same until very recently.

Yeah that was pretty cool but no major advancements were made that would have made earlier Bronze Age Greeks feel totally out of place if there were to be transported to later Greek Bronze Age

The fact that Middle Earth does not look much different 3000 years apart, isn't completely unbelieveable when you look at human history, Greece or Egypt etc

A lot of fantasy novels have this problem where the Third Al'Gugumbo Empire has been ruling the Southern Reaches for 7000 years with no appreciable changes in technology or culture.

What the fuck am I reading

I'm not the person you originally responded to but i'm just here to tell you to stop spewing your shitty opinion as if it were fact.

Tolkien specifies quite clearly that this took place in earth's past and details much of a creation story and a few ages leading up to the final end of sauron. To which apocalypse do you refer?

>loved piece of literature

>if you can't use it to feed your superiority complex, it's not ~real~ literature
i will post this as many times as necessary

Your opinion is equally dumb and reddit worthy. Some of us genuinely enjoy complex, experimental, old, or otherwise difficult books. I occasionally enjoy fantasy novels like the Wheel of Time or the Stand but nine times out of ten I would rather read Joyce or Conrad.

Good! That's good, that you want to have a place to discuss old, complex books. I agree. So let's continue discussion of Tolkien's LOTR books, yeah?

Hate to break it to you, faggot. But your beloved Game of Thrones isnt literature. Cry harder.

>I'm not even memeing, they went from hunter gatherers to pockets of early medieval technology in about 100 000 years.
I can't believe it took humans 250,000 years to develop agriculture lmao humans r so dumb

>if you can't use it to feed your superiority complex, it's not ~real~ literature
how many times do i post this before it qualifies as a forced meme

why would they? seems pretty comfy without it.

Saruman liked technology. Technology is evil in LOTR, nature is good.

ngl the shire is my idea of a utopia

maybe because I'm british

Its true though, literature implies something important, innovative, stirring.
Fantasy is just passive entertainment

>you will never ride with the knights of Rohan

>maybe because I'm british

Oh fucking kill yourself sap

fuck off you effeminate pansy

mayoskins are too lazy and dumb for technology

autistic overly modern analysis

holy fuck read a history book amerifag

Can fantasy not be important, innovating or stirring?

That's a pretty silly thing to claim.

This post is so wrong in so many ways

pleb award 2016

>fantashit apologetic calling others pleb

"no"

It can potentially, in the same way a Sonic the Hedgehog fan fiction can potentially be great literature. Problem is they just aren't.

Can we at least agree that Orcs are niggers, Easterlings are sandniggers, and Rohan / Gondor / Elves are white?

"innovation" is a spook

I bet you can't back up that claim with evidence

please stay away from Veeky Forums until you've read some books and plz start with the greeks

read some literature you cum bucket

My evidence is looking at genre fiction, the quality speaks for itself

Statistically, I am almost certainly more well read than both of you. Not that I think such pettiness matters

>not that I think such pettiness matters
>defends himself accordingly in the most petty way possible

Please leave.

trolololo dude

fuck off pleb

Because Saruman abused his demigod knowledge to buy all the patents and sued everybody trying to build anything more complex than the wheel.

They were the niggers of Middle Earth

Tolkien writes fictional myth, not a fantasy "story". You may as well ask why there's no visible technological progress in the corpus of Greek myth, or the Elder Edda, or the Bible, despite them all being supposedly historical works.

It's also not true, you know. Pipe-smoking is a comparatively recent invention in the Shire, and unknown but slowly spreading outside the Shire and Bree. The dwarves claim that they've improved somewhat of the techniques of mining and tunneling over their ancestors, although no details are given. The Rohirrim are a comparatively recent horse-culture, a few centuries at most.

But, like most such details, they're deliberately obscured.

Where do retards like this COME from?

>Implying genre trash has this kind of thought put into it and you're not just trying to defend your shit taste.

fuck off to r3ddit you shit troll

triggered

lmao I love h3h3 xD

>2500 BCE - Mohenjo Daro
>322 BCE - Mauryan Empire
>1100 AD - Delhi Sultanate
>1526 AD - Mughal Empire
>1850-1949 AD - British Raj
>1949-Present POO IN THE LOO

did you just assume my gender

Technology is evil and only Orcs use it :^)