Neet here !trying to changing his life around going to attend community college in the fall

neet here !trying to changing his life around going to attend community college in the fall.

don't wanna disappoint my parents more by getting some useless degree. so i was thinking of trying engineering
if anybody is majoring or has a job with it. could you recommend me a beginners book i could read? and explain to me whats the material like in school?

i know its math heavy but i feel like if i dedicate 6-8 hours a day this summer on learning i'll be rdy by fall.
thanks so much !

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
youtube.com/watch?v=R9UoFyqJca8
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZHQObOWTQDMsr9K-rj53DwVRMYO3t5Yr
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Universal_Material#Engineering_Philosophy

Neet thinking he can devote 6-8 hours of his life to actually working in just a day. That's like asking someone who is obese to run a half marathon tomorrow. Nice try but you're going to give up or burn out really quickly. Just set a time and each day spend 1 hour doing pomodoro. When you feel better about continuing then aim for 2 hours, then 3 etc. Good luck on turning your life around but be smart and stick to it. Discipline is the bridge between your goals and achievements.

t. Was a NEET now about to enter med school.

please don't. there are enough engineers already.

thx sorry missed this. will buy one of those
good advice. guess i would burn out
why not? other degrees seem like i need to be in school 6 yrs + just to get a job :(

Kys brainlet

You should have started to read a proof book like book of proof or velleman's how to prove it
You also should have started to do a precalc book

Physics by serway

Engineering is very cool but also pretty competitive. Keep in mind that if you are going to go down this path it isn't just math heavy but also team-based.

This is very true. I graduated a couple of months (Mech E.) ago and still haven't found a job. I know a friend (Aero E.) that graduated last year and still hasn't found anything.

What I am trying to say is that the key isn't to dedicate all your time studying but you need to also think about extra-curricular activities (part-time jobs, internships, clubs, etc) that you can add on to that 6-8 hour work load. This will be the ultimate deciding factor.

are we going to make it bro?

Here is my 2c. I know a Motorola engineer who started out programming when he was 12. He is severley overweight from dealing with the stress of working 12 hour days to get projects done on time and is constantly worried about not having a job due to the nature of the technology market and the fierce competition for engineering jobs. This dude has to buy two airline tickets to fit in coach class.

Not sure if that helps, but it's kind of a snapshot of what you're up against.

This kind of idiocy is why the world is so fucked up, why do people make it their life's work to kill themselves over things they're clearly not suited for?

whats the alternative?

being an accountant is a bretty gomfy gig

If your sole motivation for engineering is to not disappoint your parents, I don't think the degree/career will work out for you. You'll most likely get clobbered by the course work, and if that doesn't happen, you'll still be working a job you're at best indifferent to. Working in such a situation is likely to lead to mid-life depression when you realize you've spent 20 years in a career you don't really like. Don't waste your money and time, OP; pick something you actually feel passion for.

>passion
nice meme

And for the record, I'm not trying to say you shouldn't change your life, I'm saying you should change your life for the better. Spending lots of time in high stress and going into debt isn't going to make your life better. Chase your fucking passion.

This.

He says from the lab he's working a midnight shift in because he went into an area he had no passion for.

youtube.com/watch?v=R9UoFyqJca8

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZHQObOWTQDMsr9K-rj53DwVRMYO3t5Yr

>community college
> degree. so i was thinking of trying engineering

Are you sure you can even get an engineering degrees at your community college? I've never heard of one that can do that. A school's got to meet requirements set by the professional engineering association to give those.

I know a guy who really wanted to be an engineer but didn't do well enough in highschool to get into a university engineering program. He went to community college for two years and then was able to transfer into it; but he couldn't transfer credits or anything and had to start at the beginning of the program.

amazing books.
But where do you download them for free?
>The Existential Pleasures of Engineering by Florman
Weren't able to find this one anywhere.

>Keep in mind that if you are going to go down this path it isn't just math heavy but also team-based.
I blindly ran into this issue myself recently in college. Fucking hell. What kind of sadist teacher forces a bunch of autists into teams? I'd genuinely rather do the work of 5 people alone than have to cooperate with others.

If you work on simple projects that might be doable. But if you are working on a really big project you'll be really happy to have pros in several fields. When you get stuck you discuss and somenone might know an answer. In a real job everyone is motivated to do their job to the best of their abilities, whereas in university/college the motivation of students mainly is just passing with the least effort.

>i'm gonna major in engineering b/c prestige and make muh parents proud

Sounds like a good plan, good luck man

says associates and I can transfer to our local university
tbf its not a stem friendly cc. but its all i got :(
>pick something you actually feel passion for.
there's zero money in music so going to college for it seems like a waste of financial aid?
yeah i know it sounds bad. but they really want to me attend college and do something with my life.

You can't. You're just fooling yourself.

>yeah i know it sounds bad. but they really want to me attend college and do something with my life.

What's actually going to happen is that your artificial motivations will change half of the way through and you'll drop out and then they'll really be proudnotproud

>I'd genuinely rather do the work of 5 people alone than have to cooperate with others.
Try saying that at a job interview and see what happens.

so whats your suggestions? attend a course i think i like and just hope i make connections for jobs?

I'm proud off you, I am from Mongolia.

This is partially true. I heard a story about how this professor asked his freshman students what they wanted to be. They all had answers like musicians, game designers, etc. He then said "Major in what yoy like, Minor in what you love."

What's worse, if you do the thing you love, you are not gonna always be super happy about the work part. Work is called work, because you work. People who pretend, that doing what you like is basically freetime are just liars. Anyways, this is the only true way - do what you really like, be it carpenting or hairdressing. You need to be quite brilliant at engineering, to do really interesting stuff, otherwise you'll do very technical job, lots of documentation and very little creativity. Don't fuck yourself.

> do the work of 5 people alone than have to cooperate with others

I always did this while getting my engineering degrees. I get really obsessive about projects and would rather just spend a few hours doing someone's work for them than let them hold everything up for weeks and do a shitty job. Most project reports had tables of who did what and 90% of the pie chart would be me.

At one point I missed class the day teams were made for a big project. I just didn't give a fuck and did it as a one man team.

if youre doing it to not disappoint your parents, you wont make the cut if you aren't already in a school doing engineering already.

Everyone I see that makes a change and goes to a cc and then transfers to a good uni and does engineering is a few years older and genuinely interested in the content and being the best engineer they can. Trying to not disappoint mommy and daddy will land you 40k in debt when you realize you can't do PDEs or fluid dynamics because you just don't care enough