Mfw I don't live in a monastary and study Thomastic philosophy and the scholastic tradition and drink abbey beers and...

mfw I don't live in a monastary and study Thomastic philosophy and the scholastic tradition and drink abbey beers and shag the occasional nun.

Other urls found in this thread:

cambridge.org/cambridgelatincourse/cambridge-latin-course-4eint/book-i//).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Ørberg#Lingua_Latina_Per_Se_Illustrata
chaharrah.tv/chaharrah-depot/arthouse/latin-attachments/latin-book.pdf
pdf-archive.com/2014/04/19/wheelock-s-latin-frederic-m-wheelock/wheelock-s-latin-frederic-m-wheelock.pdf)
ocr.org.uk/Images/74426-unit-a401-vocabulary-list-higher-tier.pdf)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I strongly encourage you to never devote your life to science fiction/fantasy genres like theology.

>shag the occasional nun.
Novices and alter boys, my friend.

Monasteries aren't for normies.

You've clearly never studied any medieval philosophy. They may assume the existance of God, but their philosophy is highly technical and precise and with loads of fun philosophical debates. It can be dificult to go through and you might need a great deal of background, but it's actually a great period for philosophical discussion.

In a way, it's the combination of what we now call continental and anglo-american analytical philosophy, combining the best of both.

My apologies, I should have clarified the entire discipline of philosophy belongs in the fantasy genre.

Been away for a while, is this what Veeky Forums has become?

Unfortunately

*doffs le trilby*

>drink abbey beers and shag the occasional nun
Drinking was a way to kill off sexual drive.

is there a way to become a monk if you're gay?

>tfw will never become a peaceful monk living the monastic life and quietly studying theology on my lonesome
Fuck me

what's holding you back. monasteries have been slowly emptying for decades now. i cant imagine it takes much to get in nowadays.

Veeky Forums has been a meme for fucking ages

it's just the type of meme changes bimonthly

Happy new year

really rustles your jimmies

cringe

>is there a way to become a monk if you're gay?
Yes, you're born a creature of radical freedom.

The Homosexual life is a life lived inauthentically. There is no such thing as the gay man per se, just a man performing gay actions.

So was shagging nuns

Herpes new year.

I went to Christmas Eve mass with my Catholic family and during the homily the pastor discussed his religious epiphany as a young man. He talked about the moral failures of his youth and then his repentance, his time studying and praying in the seminary, and even though I don't believe in God it made me sort of want to be a priest or monk. There's so much beauty and knowledge in those rites, and they live their lives as a work of art if you know what I mean. They are constantly monitoring themselves to ensure the maintenance of sacred ideals.

Then we had to kneel and I remembered just how much I fucking hate kneeling. Even on my local church's pussy-ass pew cushions for your knees, the strain on your back is abhorrent. Ten minutes of that was enough to put the idea out of my mind forever.

>tfw orthodox
>tfw no pews
>tfw we stand for the entire liturgy
Feels good man.
t. Slav

What are some essential medieval philosophy works, and what should i read to get the background to appreciate it?

>tfw never was educated by friars

>tfw no latin education

>tfw doomed to mediocrity if i don't dig myself out of it

religious education is the tops, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If joyce was lacking all those studies you tell me what kind of man he'd be now.

reminder that christians, even monks, are bad meditators and that even being a good meditator is half the job for nibanna

The main work is obviously Thomas' Summa Theologica. Unless you are hardcore you probably don't have the time to read the whole thing so I'd just pick one of the main parts. For anything scholastic you should have at least a rudimentary understanding of Aristotele's Metaphysics. Which is a fucking hard as hell book if you get properly into it. But Thomas whole undertaking was giving theology a philosophic grounding via Aristotele. He literally refers to as Aristotele as "the" philosopher, for him Aristotele = philosophy.

I still have to write an essay comparing Aristotele and Thomas' metaphysics and I dread it since it's been a while since my last reading of the Metaphysics. If you aren't into dry, technical metaphysics, the scholastics probably aren't for you.

That said, I find Thomas' theologic-philosophical concepts really fascinating. I took a class on him with a professor from the religion studies department that was a fucking wizard with a deep knowledge of both the theological and the philosophical tradition. Thomas ontological justification for god and his hierarchy of God/Angels/Humans to establish the transcendence of god is really fascinating, especially for me as someone that grew up totally atheist.

Learn latin m8, it's really fun and nothing is stopping you.. I'm doing it now, it's morning in bongland.

Currently taking a break between learning vocabulary and reviewing grammar. Also I'm reading the metamorphoses.

Latin is just regular practise. Certain amount of vocab a week, reviewing your tenses and conjugations each week, and translation and prose composition.

No he refers to St. Augustine as The Philosopher

Implying there is a different way to become a monk other than being gay.

No

How are you doing it my friend? I use anki for japanese, but i don't think i'll be able to read classic works in latin with only 2k of words known.

classical philosophy was preserved and expanded upon despite christian influence, not because of it

Yes, there are many gay Priests and Monks even today so its makes sense to assume that there were many homosexual ones in the past

Sexual orientation is irrelevant to celibacy

I took a GCSE and A level in it, which got me interested as a teenager. I started as every british child does, with the cambridge latin course books (online here cambridge.org/cambridgelatincourse/cambridge-latin-course-4eint/book-i//).

I just looked it up though and apparently it's controversial because of lack of emphasis on grammar (which is true). A google search just now seems to show en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Ørberg#Lingua_Latina_Per_Se_Illustrata

chaharrah.tv/chaharrah-depot/arthouse/latin-attachments/latin-book.pdf
as a good beginners resource. Also Wheelock's latin course seems to be very good. (pdf-archive.com/2014/04/19/wheelock-s-latin-frederic-m-wheelock/wheelock-s-latin-frederic-m-wheelock.pdf)

You will have to invest in books at some point. Fortunately you can probably buy second hand, and you don't need to straight away.

>Latin dictionary
>Latin at GCSE by John Taylor
>Latin beyond GCSE by John Taylor
>Bradley's Arnold (advanced, but best prose composition book out there)

As I said, latin is mostly consistent practise. If you can't practise 2-3 times weekly, don't bother.
>vocab (ocr.org.uk/Images/74426-unit-a401-vocabulary-list-higher-tier.pdf)
>tenses & conjugations & grammar constructs
>translation
>prose composition

Once you've got the hang of everything in GCSE Latin by John Taylor, you could probably read a classical with a dictionary and a translation at hand. If you want to read poetry, learn about metre and how to scan, and know that it doesn't always follow the rules, so to speak.

Feels God man.