Math seems like the most worthwhile degree, applicable to everything in life. If I'm wrong, what's better?

Math seems like the most worthwhile degree, applicable to everything in life. If I'm wrong, what's better?

Fighter pilot

Worthwhile in what way? There are much better degrees for return on investment. EE has plenty of real life application and has nice pay too.

You can't apply EE like you can with math. I want to make a lot of money, obviously, and I don't see how working as an electrical engineer would make me a lot of money. Maybe I'm wrong.

Math is great, no question there. But consider this, becoming an expert in math is like becoming an expert in a foreign language. Its really great to speak that language, no doubt, but it would be even better if you had something worthwhile to say in that language. That's where application comes into the picture. So ask yourself what you actually want to do, maybe design buildings, or financial analysis, and learn about that too so you have something to speak about in the language of math.

In order to apply math, you need to have knowledge in a field outside of math to apply it to. Hence, knowing ONLY math with result in the inability to apply math until you study another subject.

t. Pure math graduate who is aware math degrees are poor investments if the goal is success/wealth.

From what I already know, you learn about money but you need some expertise in another field to apply the knowledge to. Majoring in finance seems like a big waste of time. Physics or math and then just reading a finance textbook on the side seems to be the way to go, maybe learning something about computer science along the way.

>computer science along the way
some actual courses in programing is never a bad move. if you can code your math applications its a valuable skill.

>what's better?
cock studies

Completely wrong. Math isn't a very good degree anymore (too pure), and typically it doesn't teach great critical thinking skills either (math majors are typically out-tested in things like LSAT, GRE, MCAT, etc by other majors like physics). You should look for a major that can teach you to critical think but is also useful. Engineering's pretty good. Physics and chemistry are good as well (though you'll have to network to make them immediately useful). Anything with a programming component that isn't purist CS is pretty fire too

Completely wrong. A math major does not have to be completely pure and it never is... Unless you decided to go that route. Every good math program has plenty of applied and stats courses. Furthermore you can take computer science or business/econ/finance depending on the route you want to go.

How is proof writing not teaching you critical thinking skills?

Also physics majors do not out score math on the GRE. They have the same scores on average.

>applicable to everything in life

Except earning enough money to pay off your student loans...

All i can think of is the girl in your image.

>student loans

My face is your image

There's no degree that is applicable everywhere.

I don't see how you couldn't apply math to most problems.

Statistics comes close

We're talking math degree bud. Regular math is used everywhere but you don't need a degree for that and you don't need topology to milk a cow.

Milking a cow isn't a problem...

If you buy it in a store then no, it's not a problem.

this particular frogpost does make a pretty good point

Psychology. Useful in every situation

Doesn't matter which is more worthwhile because you're too retarded to earn either.

Electrical Engineering is math applied to electronics. Pure math majors are pretty niche in the real world, because you can't apply it to anything useful without studying an applied field like EE, ME, etc. Sure, you could run calculations for a company like SpaceX or something, but are you that much more useful than the EE or ME that designs rocketry to withstand the rigors of space? I'm not saying a pure math degree is useless, far from it, just that there are more "worthwhile" degrees that require just as much intellectual capacity, have more job prospects, and make as much money.

If you think it's valuable because it applies to everything, why not do liberal arts? They apply to most facets of human life. What matters is what you'll be able to do with your education that others can't. That's what makes you competitive, and gets you a return on your investment. What interests you is entirely different.

Someone has to do it, you entitled piece of shit.

You think ol' bessie just sucks her own teets, pasteurizes it, and delivers it to your fucking Whole Foods store all nice and ready to drink?

This thread is full of capitalist swine

>pasteurizes
when will we stop playing God

Nobody said anything about pure math

There are no jobs in EE.

Physics is better for application to real life

What? There are plenty of jobs for EE and it is such a broad field opening up jobs in power, control systems, signal processing, communications, antennas, semiconductors, biomedical, electronics, etc..

These people are silly. Math majors are highered very easy, yiu just have to apply your skills to something

My takeaway was that degree was extremely versatile and you're not locked in to one thing like EE but can branch out in so many ways with that degree.

I get that you are an EE, but you are below a math degree. Stop trying to shill your bad choice.

It get worse user, I'm not any of those degrees but nice try adhom.

Goatology

Philosophy, because language needs to be understood to be communicated and math is a smaller circle jerk than philsophy

What the fuck even are you then?

There is no degree that is applicable anywhere.

Siriously, all you do is read books for 4+ years, then sum it up in your own words. There should be no requirement of a degree to get a PhD, only the ability to come up with something new, which is empirically proven to be true.

Even engineering degrees are worth little in the day and age where you can just Google the solution.

This. Do engineering user

try harder next time

You missed my point entirely.

Even math degrees are worth little in the day and age where you can just Google the proof.

>math
>law
>chemistry
>engineering or CS
>maybe communications or for some part psychology
>everything above combined with a minor/double major in philosophy

This, fucking this. I'm finishing up a master's in Maths and had a few electives left. Decided to take some engineering classes for shits and giggles, and what I'm seeing there is a fuckton more useful than the bullshit i've seen in the maths classes.

Systems theory

Wouldn't you be better off doing pure math, Then going into systems theory?
System/network science seems like a better major