Mfw somebody doesn't start with the Greeks

>mfw somebody doesn't start with the Greeks

Other urls found in this thread:

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/05/100513-science-evolution-darwin-single-ancestor/
nautil.us/issue/42/fakes/is-physical-law-an-alien-intelligence
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Ancient Greeks

Homer (ca.800BC)
Iliad; Odyssey.
Hesiod (ca.700BC)
Works and Days; Theogony.
Archilochos
Sappho (ca.600BC)
Alkman
Pindar.
Odes.
Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)
Oresteia; Seven Against Thebes; Prometheus Bound; Persians; Suppliant Women.
Sophocles (c. 496-c. 405 BC)
Oedipus the King; Oedipus at Colonus; Antigone; Electra; Ajax; Women of Trachis; Philoctetes.
Euripides (480 or 484-406 BC)
Cyclops; Heracles; Alcestis; Hecuba; Bacchae; Orestes; Andromache; Medea; Ion; Hippolytus; Helen; Iphigenia at Aulis.
Aristophanes (ca. 446 BC - 385 BC)
The Birds; The Clouds; The Frogs; Lysistrata; The Knights; The Wasps; The Assemblywomen.
Herodotus, 485–420BCE
The Histories.
Thucydides, ca.460 BCE
The Peloponnesian Wars.
The Pre-Socratics (Heraclitus, Empedocles)
Plato, c.427-c.347 BCE
Dialogues.
Aristotle, 384–322 BCE
Poetics; Ethics.

Hellenistic Greeks

Menander, ca. 342–291 BC
The Girl from Samos.
Longinus.
On the Sublime.
Callimachus.
Hymns and Epigrams.
Theocritus.
Idylls.
Plutarch, 46–120
Lives; Moralia.
Aesop (620 - 560 BC)
Fables.
Lucian.
Satires.

Lucian is so fun (assuming you mean of Samosata and i'm not a big dummy)

It didn't start with the Greeks, so why start with the Greeks.

>start with the Mesopotamians

Because "the Greeks" are genuinely the first historically extant "place" (their documents) where transmitted information in general starts to get actually interesting and significant.

t. a guy with a history minor who studied an ancient Egyptian mathematical text in depth, the terrible secret being that it was a historiographical jerk-off with relatively few interesting insighs to the related topic itself (math), whereas Euclid et al manage properly mathematical expositions

>The Greeks were the first genuine culture vultures.

Sumerians*

Sumer is in Mesopotamia.

Cheers, user. So Iliad before Odyssey?

>not starting with the Proto-Indo-Europeans

>not starting with the sub-Saharan black Africans who are the oldest human bodies ever dug up, who we all descend from, in Southern/East Africa.

>he didn't even start with Homo Erectus

Might as well start with the single cell we all evolved from [all life itself].

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/05/100513-science-evolution-darwin-single-ancestor/

Yeah, start with the cell.

>he literally, unironically didn't start with the Primordial Soup

>he didn't start with the Big Bang
>mfw

>wasting time on a bunch of boy-fucking savages from 2500 years ago who had no inkling about the way the world works, were okay with slavery, and were completely wrecked in their very first war
Pffft

I'm wondering how far this can go.

>he didn't start with the prime mover

>He didn't start with the void.

>he didn't start with the

I started in China, and I'm better for it.
>pic related

>he didn't start

>he

It did. Bronze age civilisation collapsed, Western civ started with the Greeks. Get over it Saddam.

>he didn't start with the prime mover
This. You have to start with pre-universe Veeky Forums if you want to understand later stuff.

How do you call that visual effect in the pic where spikes/lines surround the edges of the picture to convey movement?

>

>he didn't read the canon in reverse chronological order

The Greeks are the end point not the start.

I have the same nose and it is ugly

>Slavery
>Bad

Given that all great civilizations practised it in some form or another, you should ask yourself some serious questions about whether we're any better for having abolished it.

beautiful

>>

Wouldn't this mean constantly having to backtrack when new books are inducted into the modern canon?

Where do you start with the reverse canon?

please wait until my books are considered canon
this will take 15-20 years
you can start with them

the greeks were literally, LITERALLY gay as fuck.

I'm not reading that faggot shit, fuck you

Ok, start with the greeks.
But which one?

Edgy

No, Cassius Dio? No, Apollonius of Rhodes? No, Diodorus Siculus? No, Appian?
Absolute disgusting.
Remember 146 BC

Egyptians

that's because the near east was much more violent, so their texts were always being destroyed in fires

>he believes the out of africa hypothesis

action lines

>not starting with the epic of Gilgamesh

literal turbopleb

>civilization in a vacuum

point and laugh

>Given that all great civilizations practised it in some form or another

not even an argument you dumb faggot

>epic
>~100-200 pages

Ok guys, I'll give it a try I promise

I'm your average Veeky Forums pleb. I've only started reading seriously in a trully enjoyable way a couple of years ago.
I've read over 20 fantasy books this past year.

Imagine I'm a recruit in your faggot club. What would you make me read right away?

>your faggot club
Mean.

I used to read sci-fi fantasy all the time growing up. Start with Homer. Fagles or Lombardo translations. Do read the preface materials for good background

Thanks

You almost made it sound like there's something wrong with being a faggot

But the last author inducted in the modern canon was Joyce. So you'll be good for a while.

epin

Wewewewewew

Aren't Homer works poetry? I don't think I can read that, not that I don't want to, I just feel I'm not prepared.

He's right you know.

And do we not still have slavery? Only redefined, subliminal, internalized...

You should make this thread every day.

This is true, you Enlightenment fags just don't get it. The naturally dim are better off having their lives controlled by masters.

>pic related, Politics Book 1.

Aristotle divides slaves into two categories, natural and conventional. Natural slaves lost the genetic lottery and are better off controlled. This wasn't just self serving, philosophers believed that foolish people left to their own devices made the world worse for themselves and others.

>But muh patriarchal white men perserving power structures!!!

Conventional slaves were intelligent men who were enslaved in war or some shit, and Aristotle said these people should NOT be enslaved. Literally just saying that dumb people are better off with a master.

>"But what is liberty without wisdom, without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint."
>Edmund Burke

>The naturally dim are better off having their lives controlled by masters.

Luckily, this is increasingly the case.

is onto something.

Lmao show me your Dio Cassius and Diodorus and Appian's histories you fucking dip; I don't believe that you've read them, because if you had, you'd either not be recommending them, or your recommendation would almost certainly be tongue-in-cheek. They're okay reads but far inferior to a lot other historians that already get passed over on lit. Nobody who's skipped Polybius or Livy is going to read fucking Diodorus, nor should they.

I have already read Anabasis, Iliad and Odyssey, right now reading History of the Peloponnesian War

They are pretty entertaining

It's not the kind of poetry you think, and it's been translated in prose many times. You'll do fine. Why I recommended Fagles or Lombardo

>he didn't start with the information/"source code" that the nothingness wasn't real and it was just a computer simulation by a highly advanced life form whose nature is literally physics itself

nautil.us/issue/42/fakes/is-physical-law-an-alien-intelligence

>the sub-Saharan black Africans who are the oldest human bodies ever dug up

Let's enslave you then, since you like it so much.

>Implying I wouldn't be the enslaver

Also empathy, the trait you are appealing to, is a terrible trait never mind a terrible argument.

You'd be my sex slave and I'd rape that boipucci every night. Bitch boy.

that's like whenever someone gets sentenced to prison some douche comments like "have fun getting pounded in the ass by bubba" even if the convict in question is like 300 pound muscle beast, like maybe he is the one who's going to be doing the asspounding around the state pen.

The only people who would advocate slavery in modern times are people who have no real power. so they say these things so they can feel powerful even though they're powerless actually. You- you advocate slavery because you have no power over people, but some people in this world really do have more power over people than a redneck slaveowner ever did. You envy this power that real people have today over others, and THAT is the sole reason you advocate slavery today, because YOU have no power.

Chew on that.

Holy shit, so the advocation of slavery is in and of itself a slave morality?
Fuck

welfare and degenerate media have killed more blacks than slavery

In modern times, yes. Because 'some' people today have more power than slaveowners did, the power to murder, rape, have child sex, etc., and have no consequences. That's exactly correct what you said.

this is true, think about it man, all the ppl producing content for free on facebook, snapchat, amazon, even Veeky Forums, are slaves in the sense that you are working for free to make some capitalist dickhead wealthy

PIZZAGATE IS REAL!

>the power to murder, rape, have child sex, etc.

Btw, this is not a comprehensive list, I should add. There's more technologies today which can facilitate the committing of way more types of crimes that weren't available to slaveowners.
>NSA mass surveillance of anyone, which is sure to have been abused by POTUS, etc.

Read The Histories if you haven't.

Should have read it before Thucydides though tbqh

are you stoned?

The pizzagate shit might not be 100% real like okay maybe the guy who owns the pizza restaurant is just an enormous weirdo and Podesta is just a guy who talks really weird but you'd have to be blind and an idiot to not see that there are people in the higher echelons of power that diddle kids on the reg

outside of the Vatican, i doubt it, pizzagate is crypto-protestant, tying an italian dish to pedophelia and a fellow whose name ends in a vowel...yeah i know anti-catholic psyops when i see it nigga

>The only people who would advocate slavery in modern times are people who have no real power.

See: Schopenhauer

>"It is therefore just as little necessary for the saint to be a philosopher as for the philosopher to be a saint; just as it is not necessary for a perfectly beautiful person to be a great sculptor, or for a great sculptor to be himself a beautiful person. In general, it is a strange demand on a moralist that he should commend no other virtue than that which he himself possesses.

If you don't realize that some people on this planet have vastly more wealth and power than slaveowners did [which implies they can and do [commit] more crimes and can get away with it better] then it's more symptomatic that you're the one that's smoking something.

You're missing the point, the ultrarich of today have made slaves of everyone else, and if you think they aren't doing the most horrible things in secret, you're delusional. People with this much wealth and power MUST do horrible crimes in secret because they are have everything else.

>People with this much wealth and power MUST do horrible crimes in secret because they are have everything else.

more slave morality bullshit

>You're missing the point, the ultrarich of today have made slaves of everyone else, and if you think they aren't doing the most horrible things in secret, you're delusional. People with this much wealth and power MUST do horrible crimes in secret because they already have everything else.

fixed, damn autocorrect

Hence, why a normie would only get off to the idea of owning slaves today, when the ultrarich today make slaves of everyone on the planet, and you better believe they kill people by their own hands in secret for pleasure, and have sex with children.

YOU ARE THE SLAVE YOU MORON, THAT'S WHY YOU ADVOCATE SLAVERY. YOU ARE A SLAVE. YOU ARE NOT THE ULTRARICH, YOU ARE THEIR SLAVE.

Can you hear me now? I'm that little voice in your head while you read this.

>mfw people read thousands of pages of boring classics just to feel superior to others
reading is meant to be enjoyed dude

Well, they get pleasure from their delusions, like this slave here: who wishfully dreams of reinstating slavery, when slavery has never ended. What he doesn't realize is that slavery still exists and even sex slavery of children still exists and this is all to the benefit of the ultrarich, for THEIR sexual pleasures. The people that advocate slavery today are unaware that slavery is already still going on, it's because they are normies and they are not ultrarich, essentially poor. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

i never "advocated slavery" i simply pointed that claiming the super rich are all pedos to make urself feel better for your pecuniary shortcomings is textbook example of slave morality

You're a moron is all.

Fuck the Greeks. They suck dick. Couldn't get past three chapters of the Odyssey cause it was fucking shit.

>Is that you OP Faggotus, king of shitposting, daughter of Superiority complexicus, that have shown me thy true light by revealing toeth me the true way of reading literature that you yourself have learned from your father, Cuck, King of Faggots, which then the best way to read literature is to start by the Greeks? Say it be you OP Faggotus?

You do realize even $500,000 a year salary is nothing compared to the wealth of the wealthiest less than 1%. The ultrarich's liberties are far greater than that of the 19th century slaveowner. Now THINK for once, if those slaveowners could get away with murder, rape, torture, etc., what makes you think the ultrarich today also aren't doing far worse for their own pleasure? Why would you think people who have even more liberty than the slaveowners did- why would you think the ultrarich of today have some sort of higher morality?

I'll tell you why you think this, it's because YOU HAVE THE SLAVE MORALITY. You equate ultrawealth with a higher morality, as if they are 'more innocent' than the slaveowners who committed crimes against humanity.

Clear case of projection, projecting YOUR SLAVE MORALITY here:>Holy shit, so the advocation of slavery is in and of itself a slave morality?

If you don't make at least $1 billion you are poor, and even that amount is becoming inflated.

Yeah classical civilisation never collapsed too. Are you retarded?

This is my post: I also wanted to add, this is why only a poor normie would advocate slavery today, because like I said, slavery never ended because with real wealth and power you can make everyone a slave and you can literally make children your sex slaves and you can literally get away with murder even though literal blood is on your hands when murdering for pleasure.

>start with
this is what's wrong about everyone of you

literature is not a course. your chart-culture is just wrong and stupid. the encounter of literature should be accidental and the progress through it spontaneous, instinctive. maybe you start with a trashy romance found in your parents house and after some years you start exploring the Greeks. what's the problem? it's that you are swamped with internet memes

I like you.

>mfw someone didn't read the Greeks

I started with YA novels. And now I'm reading Alkibiades biography.

>he can't enjoy the classics

Average working class millenial

>Classics
>Boring