Why do women go into biology the most?

The only STEM field that's mostly women, and the STEM field that women mostly go into, is biology or some type of medicine. What's the end game? Is it cause it's the most stamp-collecting of the sciences?

Other urls found in this thread:

eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-02/uow-scc020314.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

less math maybe.

Because for biology, you just memorize stuff, compared to physics which requires critical thinking, logic, etc. Biology seems straightforward because all you do is memorize and hope your brain retains that information for your exams and practice.

Source: Medical Technology student studying courses that is pretty much applied biology.

>Biology seems straightforward because all you do is memorize and hope your brain retains that information for your exams and practice

My molecular biology final I just finished made me identify the promoter for a specific gene, design primers for it, identify how to amplify this promoter, confirm I made it, and design a plasmid with fluorescence labeling of this gene (plus describe why I would want to clone my product into a plasmid). There was no memorization and a lot of critical thinking involved (e.g. what temperature should I set the annealing stage of PCR to, given I have this ratio of C-G pairings?).

What should I expect from a MedTech student though.

>you just memorize stuff
biology gets interesting the moment you enter the part where memorizing things gets impossible due to either the huge numbers or because you need logical thinking

They like reproduction.

Little boys like toy cars, little girls like bunnies. The passionate ones are more likely to stick in that field.

fpbp
But yeah, you don't have to really take the bad math courses for biology.

Also this. Girls like animals and shit like that, Biology is just the STEM version of the multitudie of nonSTEMvbitches wanting to be a veterinarian.

beastiality

this nigga gets it

Maybe maternal instincts or something like that? Biology deals mostly with life if I remember correctly.

Thats a two-dimensional inquiry. The differences you perceive between men and women are insubstantial. I'm sure the fact that women seem to be more emotionally driven would dispose them to pursuing something interesting and meaningful like the life sciences, as opposed to wanting to become an engineer to make money by contributing to industry. Gender norms have a lot to do with the devolpment of personality. Women are often discouraged from pursuing science from a young age, especially the fields with stronger patriarchies.
>what is theoretical/mathematical biology
>obviously hasn't studied any biology beyond an entry level
>you just memorize stuff
That an actual biologist researched by applying critical thought and logic.
>medical tech
>biology
No. That's like saying a saying a forester is an ecologist.

>Molecular biology final has you design a PCR
>Biology students think this is impressive

>Women are often discouraged from pursuing science from a young age, especially the fields with stronger patriarchies.
I thought this was a joke, considering the massive amounts of funding spent on pushing women into STEM, but apparently unless a woman is surrounded by women, she's automatically at a disadvantage.

>Why do women go into biology the most?

Women care more about people than things, naturally they are drawn more to the STEM fields that deal with people and (by extension) biological systems, such as medicine, biology, and zoology.

Feeling out of place affects your ability to perform.

there's hella poon tang in envirosci

It happens in early childhood through media and popular culture

So single-sex schools would have a higher average testable competence level?

Not necessary impressive but it's disingenuous to say biology is based on memorization outside of gen bio (and the same is true for most lower level science courses)

Well my microbiology classes were just endless memorization and exams were essentially "name all the virulence factors of ".

That fucking triggers me. Just the other day I went to one of my coworkers and asked him that question and he hadn't the foggiest idea nor did he care nor was that knowledge in any way useful to him. We just looked it up in the end. So what's the point? Honestly, those PCR questions are just as boring. "What temperature should I set"? Come on, really? Ask me something that's actually interesting instead of some instruction manual shit.

If people stopped for a minute and started reading about something like bacteria on Wikipedia, they'd probably realize that it's an interesting subject. Nature and biology are home to the most hardcore stuff I have ever read about. Now that I no longer have to answer bullshit questions, I see it in a different light. Honestly I wonder how they make it sound so boring when they teach it at school.

Biology and medicine need a Richard Feynman.

I was told by a girl I know it's
>because it has the least math

It's the actual reason. Also they mostly just want they're undergrad and won't even see a differential.

A similar argument could be made about the 'underperformance' of black/minority students, suggesting that dividing schools into separate, but equal, classrooms on the basis of race could help the students to reach their full potential.

>girls discouraged at a young age from stuff not interesting to them
>baby girls automatically prefer dolls n stuffed animals
>baby boys automatically prefer balls
>no homo

How are girls discouraged from going into science? In my life time I've only ever seen them specifically encouraged.

>Assuming making a PCR is difficult
Nice try

All right then, so MedTech students are basically underachieving people who can only wish to be doctors?

I agree, the only part of a PCR that's difficult is calculating the temperature of the annealing stage if you don't look up a Tm calculator. That still leaves the rest of the final. And once again it's disingenuous to say it's all memorizing

If only they knew about all the statistics. Medicine is basically statistics now.

There's apparently no evidence this is true, although plenty of anecdotes about confidence and the like.

eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-02/uow-scc020314.php

I'll agree with this, my microbiology class didn't have too much memorization in it (to be fair it was the advanced capstone version of it so we spent more time working on our project than memorizing all the plates, hemolytic patterns, etc.) but I can easily imagine how you could make that class bullshit.

I guess the logic is you need to memorize shit to get to the cool stuff, like how most programs' gen chem 1 is a lot of memorizing names before getting into cool stuff like enthalpy. Not that I really agree with it.

Because the theoretical part doesn't involve math and the practical part doesn't involve mechanical stuff.

All right then fair enough.

No this user does not. See below

Rote memorization, patient study rather than active engagement and reasoning

Women are intimidated by things like logic, reasoning, abstract thought

Well I don't like memorizing shit. If the exam questions are easily answerable by google then it's probably a shitty multiple choice exam made in 5 minutes.

I just dug up an old exam and randomly chose a question: "enumerate 5 differences between endo- and exotoxins". Bleh. Nothing funner than memorizing a 5x2 table.

Below that one there's one about the classification of microorganisms with regard to optimum temperature; I just had to correlate names like thermophile with their corresponding temperatures. Wow, who gives a fuck about this? These stupid labels aren't interesting at all. The idea that some living things somehow survive in extreme temperatures is interesting. Figuring out how they do that is even more interesting. The fact PCR wouldn't even be a thing if not for Thermus aquaticus is interesting. Literally who gives a fuck about memorizing temperature ranges

>enumerate 3 functions of the fungal cell wall
>describe the importance of ergosterol
>wtf is a dimorphic fungus?

pls

>if you don't look up a Tm calculator

How about you do that instead of risking getting the math wrong? Because I've seen that happen in practice and it's always fucking embarrassing for the poor educated sap who made the mistake.

>unless a woman is surrounded by women, she's automatically at a disadvantage

"Patriarchy" is base on men surrounded by men are automatically at advantage then feminist tried destroy any men space.

>memorizing physics formulas is harder than memorizing molecular structures
okay

> biology gets interesting the moment you enter the part where memorizing things gets impossible

Yeah, like when you're in the lab or the field and you actually have to create or observe something that's never been made or seen before. Of course, mathfaggots never take this into account. They just assume that "hurr durr courses are easy therefore field is easy."

>as if you actually have to memorize an entire molecular structure instead of using its abbreviations
okay

Huh, interesting

so how about that huge female majority in K-12 teaching in every single subject?

are we going to start talking about worse male performance across the board in grade school

>except for on those pesky standardized tests, we need to get rid of those

trips of truth

You're such an idiot for even thinking this. Seriously, you are stupid.

Is biology really this easy? I'm an art brainlet

Isn't that because people think male teachers are kid fuckers?

We need to calculate the Tm on our own for the final. The professor is pretty hardcore about making sure you can do stuff in a work environment in case some bullshit like the internet going down occurs

This

No, the other thing MedTechFag forgot to mention is the amount of chemistry you have to understand and be able to apply unless you want to be a labmonkey and run gels all day