Psychoanalysis

What are the absolute essential works by Freud that I should read before moving on to his other works and case files?

Other urls found in this thread:

nybooks.com/articles/1993/11/18/the-unknown-freud/
lrb.co.uk/v02/n23/frederick-crews/the-american-literary-critic-frederick-crews-explains-why-he-has-rejected-freud
human-nature.com/articles/crews.html
pbs.org/newshour/bb/health-jan-june99-freud_crews/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Literally everything but the dream analysis part

Was Freud wrong?

Ever?

Freud? More like fraud.

Reading /fraud/ is a waste of time.

t. HuffPost/Tumblr etc.

I studied Psychology in college, and we had to read a ton of Freud. I was a natural rebel, so I rejected him. I raised my hand in class nearly every day to give Freud shit. That was years ago. Since then, I've read a lot more and thought a lot more, and by God, Freud was right about literally everything.

Why?

Just go straight to Lacan

".... But Hannibal, whom I had come to resemble in these respects, had been the favourite hero of my later school-days. Like so many boys of that age, I had sympathized in the Punic Wars not with the Romans but with the Cathagenians. And when in the higher classes I began to understand for the first time what it meant to belong to an alien race, and anti-semitic feelings among the other boys warned me that I must take up a definite position, the figure of the semitic general rose still higher in my esteem... Thus the wish to go to Rome had become in my dream-life a cloak and symbol for a number of other passionate wishes."

"I think nowadays they areā€¦ When one thinks that 10 or 12 of the Nobel winners are Jews, and when one thinks of their other great achievements in the sciences and in the arts, one has every reason to think them superior."

"I am, as you know, cured of the last shred of my predilection for the Aryan cause, and would like to take it that if the child turned out to be a boy he will develop into a stalwart Zionist, and if a girl, she will speak for herself. He or she must be dark in any case, no more towheads (blondes). Let us banish all these will-o'-the-wisps."

- Sigismund Schlomo Freud

Hmm you wonder where he got this bitterness towards Germans during his life in pre-war Austria

The first time I heard about the oedipus complex it scared the shit out of me. I thought, no, it cant be true. That cant be the real reason we have sex with our moms.

Done before reddit

Do you think Freud ever asked his friends something like hey isn't it weird that we all want to fuck our moms? And his friends were like well we don't but he was like yeah you do I'm fucking Freud.

depends on whether you consider wanting to fuck your mother "wrong"

No, he read Oedipus Rex.

i fuck my mom because it's sterile and i like the taste

>Freud
>Science

Freud was an oracle of pseudo-science, emphasis on the pseudo. Freud has **zero** to do with any scientific understanding of the human mind.

As an oracle, ymmv.

But as a scientist, or science-based theorist, Freud is thoroughly and irremediably debunked by Frederick Crews in _The Memory Wars_. See also Crews' articles/interviews:

nybooks.com/articles/1993/11/18/the-unknown-freud/ (mostly behind a paywall, alas)

lrb.co.uk/v02/n23/frederick-crews/the-american-literary-critic-frederick-crews-explains-why-he-has-rejected-freud ( " )

human-nature.com/articles/crews.html

and pbs.org/newshour/bb/health-jan-june99-freud_crews/

Not OP, but could someone actually post a serious reply please.

The main thing you'll want is to read a secondary source to get an overview of his ideas as they continued to be developed to the end of his life which means no single work of his is perfect as an introduction.

From there Interpretation of Dreams, despite the title with dream reading being considred mostly a meme its an important work which displays his analytic system.
Totem and Taboo and Civilization and Its Discontents are major in the interdisciplinary application of his theory into culture and politics.

Thanks bud, any recommendation as to which secondary source I should use?

The Cambridge Introduction to Literature and Psychoanalysis should be what you're looking for