What's the BEST book in existence that will result in me being a HAPPY person...

What's the BEST book in existence that will result in me being a HAPPY person? Maybe something like The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle?

Other urls found in this thread:

rogerebert.com/reviews/spirited-away-2002
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How to take mdma is pretty good

MDMA doesn't make you happy, it just messes with ur dopamine and actually results in less happy person when it wears off, stupid. Next.

Not that.

Go for

The Golden Ass - Apuleius
Ethics - Aristotle
In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon - Edited by Bhikku Bodhi
Spirited Away - Studio Ghibli

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

>Spirited Away - Studio Ghibli
I never understand Studio Ghibli animations, I really hate it for how random it tries to be, am I missing something? It doesn't have a coherent story AFAIK

just put on the one ring my dude

all your problems just go away

Yes, you're missing your inner child.

This is a good review. rogerebert.com/reviews/spirited-away-2002

>inner child
nice buzzword

The one and only

I'm aware of that, I was being sincerely silly.

All those methods of happiness where dopamine is uninvolved are really good!

I see, my apologies. Do you watch anime in your free time also? I always think anime watchers are silly people who haven't grown up.
Not worthy
What is so special about Nietzsche compared with other philosophers?

Clearly not as you're a fucking retard

No not really.

I do watch films though, and every now and then they happen to be animated by the Japanese, 90% of the anime films I have seen are Studio Ghibli. Grave of the Fireflies is a recommendation if you want a less "random" film.

You have problems if all you do all day is seek out trouble on the internet. Meditate, breathe, look in the mirror. Your life is ticking away one second at a time, and you're too chaotic in your mind to even see this. I feel bad for you honestly, this is humanities cry for salvation right here in your comments.

I don't like Studio Ghibli, but I loved Grave of the Fireflies, only movie that made me legit cry.

The frankness, the sincerity, the colorful allegory, but most importantly the actually helpful advice, but phrased in such a way that you can actually understand it. The truth is, you probably already know what to do, but now how; it's probably shit you've heard a million times and that you acknowledged, but could never quite make sense of. Now, Nietzsche doesn't spoonfeed you, but illustrates what he's referring to, after which he puts a couple of tools at your disposal, to help you in whatever you might want to do.

Hmm this sparked my interests, is it comparable with The Ego and Its Own (max stirner)?

You know what, you're right. God, this moment has been coming. The truly wise are the ones who spend "all day" on the Internet attempting to one up someone by masking their annoyance and preaching about, and thus implying they have achieved, a sense of seeing life as valuable with a smug, talking down while they engage in the same apparently wasteful action they just "felt sorry" for. Wisdom. So much wisdom.

How has your life actually changed since reading it. I am expecting a load of waffle tb h

Slightly, but they write so differently it's hard to compare one to the other. That being said, I find Nietzsche's concepts and ideas as a refinement and culmination of Stirner's.

Radically. To be completely honest, I was pretty much /r9k/ incarnate and started reading it out of boredom and a desire to mock the shit out of it, and never really expected him to have any effect. After reading it however, my whole life changed. It was a series of realizations that made me ponder everything I had done so far. I reexamined my whole life. Everything I had done wrong so to say, all my regrets and mistakes. I learned to accept them and actually praise them in a way.

After reading Nietzsche (all of his works; I started with The Antichrist and picked up Zarathustra immediately afterwards), I can honestly say that I came to a point where I can appreciate life. I don't mean to sound like a pedantic cunt, but reading him was an illuminating experience, and it affected every facet of my life. Looking back at how I was before, it's quite difficult to imagine I'm the same person. His philosophy changed my whole being for the better. I've reached a point where I can say that I have control over my life, as much as that is possible, and that I love life in such a way that I have become incapable of feeling miserable. I no longer feel sadness, shame, regret, resentment or hate. This is perhaps the most pretentious thing I could ever say about my experience, but life has become beauty and bliss.

I don't mean to hype it up, although I already have - those are my honest feelings about everything that is Nietzsche's work, so I would strongly advise you to give it a read.

Sounds like the happy delusions of an out of touch moron. But at least you're happy I suppose

No, friend. It was delusion that had made me miserable. It was the limits, the protocols that I had instilled within myself, thinking that respecting certain rules would lead to certain results. My problem was idealism - nothing that I built, nothing that I planned was based in reality, and thus it failed time and time again. It took a syphillitic madman to make me see the truth - that there are no rules, that there are no limits. Misery went away rapidly after I understood my will and my Self.

Perhaps you are correct and I've gone completely mad, but if madness leads in this direction I shall follow it gladly, because in it I found happiness and fulfillment.

You're free to do whatever you wish, read it or not, I just felt the need to tell you how it affected me.

Wrong

Your story legit touched me disregard this user , people like him are evil reincarnate who don't want you to be happy, they rather make other people suffer with them than become happy themselves.

Well.... The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

There is always a bit of madness in loving. But there is also always a bit of reason in madness. And when I saw my Devil I found him serious, thorough, deep, and solemn: it was the Spirit of Heaviness—through him do all things fall. Not with wrath but with laughter does one kill. Come, let us kill the Spirit of Heaviness! I have learned how to walk: since then I let myself run. I have learned how to fly: since then I will not be pushed before moving from my place. Now I am light, now I am flying, now I see myself beneath myself, now a God dances through me.

May your love of life be love of your highest hope: and may your highest hope be the highest thought of life! ‘In your love let there be bravery! With your love you shall go after the one that fills you with fear!

I hope this book is what you've been looking for user. Good luck in your journeys!

This

Also Bibe
St Augustine's confessions
The enneads

Name some real world action that has changed in you rather than airy fairy concepts which ironically sound like those of someone on mdma

"I took MDMA and now I found ultimate happiness"
Ayy lmao, come back when you're not 16.

Before reading him I was extremely anxious and more or less completely shut in. I was afraid to act, to put it simply, and I thought that if I lived a certain way happiness would fall into my lap. That's the reason I say I was /r9k/ incarnate, I was like an extreme parody of someone with social anxiety. Afterwards, like I said, I took control of my life. It started with smaller things, like asking questions in my college classes, and while I know this is laughable, it was a big step for me. And the more I acted the more I realized the truth of his words.

Within the space of a month, someone who was more or less isolated from society, who had never even held hands with a girl, who was ashamed to speak, who was ashamed to do anything at all - had won a debating competition, started work on a scientific article, made a large group of new friends and gotten a girlfriend.

And there's been many other things, but describing them here wouldn't be possible nor interesting, and I also dislike writing these blogposts. The difference is this - I went from an emasculated shell of a man who only leered at everyone else, to becoming someone that follows his will, his instincts. And that's why I say that Nietzsche illuminated me.

Indeed, you could call me euphoric.

Pic related

Brilliantly misunderstood my dude. If I am criticising his ideas and then I liken his ideas to airy fairy mdma thoughts which, just as an aside, you just presumed were referencing my own, then am I bigging up mdma?

It's a toughie but give it a think my budding ubermensch

Is that you AaLewis? Nah, seriously congrats my dude. I get the sense that you are in a particularly good mood currently and are bigging yourself up more than i would expect from you on average, that's a guess. Also a suspicion that you're just lying but instinct says probably not. Though the take home being that nietzsche makes you a normie stemfag was indeed a burst of pure euphoria when revealed

Happy people aren't happy all the time and no amount of reading will make you a happy person. Find out what it is that you want to do (or anything you think you might like to do) and start to pursue those ends. If it's cooking work your way up in restaurants or through volunteer jobs that need prep/line cooks and experiment at home, if it's music learn music theory and get an instrument and an instructor, if it's to make friends do anything you like that will lead you to interact with or meet other people. The hardest part is getting started.

I didn't blow anything out of proportion, I have done all of those things and much more thanks to the changes caused by his philosophy. I could brag about everything I've done but past a certain point it just comes off as dishonest, because even if it is true, there is no way to verify anything that I say, so I'll leave it at that.

What I wanted to convey was that to ACT according to one's will can only result in betterment, not that The Moustacheman is magic. However this /euphoric/ state is the norm for me ever since I started applying everything I learned from him, and it's been several years since.

I hope only that others are helped by his writings like I was.

What if all I want to do is just smoke weed and do nothing? I feel like being motivated to do stuff is a spook.

I deeply disagree with this mindset, and think its a very harmful line of thinking a lot of westerners have. If your dreams are disappointed what do you do? Fall into despair?

Happiness is a perspective you cultivate.

If thats all you really want to do, and youre achieving that, you should be happy. If you arent, then that means you have more needs than that.

Only reason I don't do it is because I can't support that lifestyle financially.

Happiness is dependent upon lacking understanding/care of the nature of the world and the immense suffering which you could choose to understand and alleviate/give meaning to but don't because you are too cowardly to expand your consciousness beyond what pleases you. The world and its people is in crisis. Either you choose to completely ignore it, confront it timidly and look away or expand your consciousness and let allow the real awareness of it hit you. Once there, you are in crisis and either get destroyed by it, deal with it in some way but not completely or commit yourself to a life that you know has the constant capacity to leave you in absolute unrelenting despair. The only true ideas are those of the shipwrecked, the rest is posturing

That problem would be the overdevelopment of any one facet of your life to the detriment of everything else. The point is to make an honest appraisal of your life and the means you have at your disposal and where you hope to be in the future (or if you have no desires to try to find out what those might be) and move towards that. If there's setbacks or no outlet on one route you will be in despair but that's transient.

To finish my idea, if you are overly reliant on one aspect of your personality or being any hindrance in that area will be more devastating to you than if you have a balanced life with multiple interests or things happening. Diversity allows you more support and the ability to cope with hardships, although specializing allows you to really excel at one thing. It's up to the individual to decide what's best for them.

Yeah, I'm sure you are unhappy because of starving children in Africa and not self-indulgent neurosis.

The Book of Joy. Fantastic, fulfilling, positive read.

>dalai lama

>happy
>political figure
choose one

And I am sure you are completely callous towards anything other than jerking off your own ego because you are too frightened to give relevance and thought to anything you don't imagine will please you. Like a more sophisticated version of the law of attraction.
The small minded and completely copied and pasted cultural line of response gives me little doubt that this is something you've ever even considered let alone reflected upon. Every moment you have blood on your hands, every moment there is a chasm of corpses and intense suffering of a huge array of beings which you tread upon, you just don't look down. This is the state of things. I certainly don't live with that awareness as deep as its importance would merit if I were to be able to understand it. No one does or can. That's the way it is and always has been though. We make the herculean effort to face up to it with all our being, we go some way toward it without taking it into our heart and jerk off to the praise of our friends or we ignore it completely and fall into what could only be called psychopathy if it weren't for the simple fact that we have our sense tubed down so low that the screams are just muffles. Of course there are real psychopaths who sincerely wouldn't give a fuck as well

Are you pretending to know if the man is happy or not?

>being a happy person
>being
there is no hope for you, desu

Jesus Christ cheer up m8.

Go on a 10 day silent Vipassna meditation retreat. There aren't any books that can teach you how to be happy, you have to experience it. And ekhart tolle is a shill who you should avoid reading unless you're a divorced housewife who hasn't achieved anything in life.

But when you're on it you're really, really happy

No

Subarashiki Hibi

人よ、幸福たれ!

>Wanting to be happy
Remember that a few centuries ago it was melancholia that was fashionable, not happiness. Don't get suckered by a grifter like Eckhart Tolle, for one. And maybe just accept that you're not a happy person by default, if that's the case. I've been depressed in the past, but I am pretty much permanently melancholic. I wouldn't pick happiness if I had the choice.

It took me out of my depression somehow though. Maybe I had forgotten how it feels to really be happy and truly love people, now I crave it (happiness, not MDMA). The comedown wasn't bad at all in my case, don't know why.