From what I have observed...

From what I have observed, people who read classic literature or have studied philosophy are no less intellectual than a person who never has; sometimes a person is even less intelligent if they are the former than if they are the latter. I only have my own anecdotes to prove this, but I know for certain, regardless of if a person is very liberal, or very conservative, I have seen people who say ridiculously idiotic things that have studied philosophy and read classic literature.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_Nazi_Germany
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How are you measuring intellect, and why?

I'm measuring intellect by my own jurisdiction, based on whether or not the things that I've heard other people say add up. Unfortunately, I can't say what those things are because I would rather dispute my own topic than derail it. Why? Because reading and studying philosophy have been a major institution in society for thousands of years, and in spite of what Harold Bloom has said about reading be so important, he himself said that we read because "we can't possibly know enough people". This seems to put reading in the category of other forms of pure art, like paintings and music, which aren't necessarily saying anything which can be understood the same way for every person, but which are open to individual interpretation of his or her own experience.

Education is no guarantee of learning. Anything can be degraded and deformed into mere "technique," in fact it's just human nature to abstract and abstract skills to make them more efficient, more ritualised, more instrumentalised, so that the learner can pick them up by doing the most efficiently parsimonious combination of gestures and with the minimum investment of thought and frustration. Capitalism seizes on this process and kicks it into overdrive, parcelling everything out almost cybernetically so that you can have an entire human society simulating inner humanity without actually experiencing it.

Education was one of the first thing the bourgeoisified. Modern society didn't just industrialise cotton weaving, it industrialised the cultural activities of being smart, looking smart, acting smart. It took aristocratic and clerical thought over from elites who were formerly too atomised, varying, and distant from one another to be pounded down into averages and parcelled out as stock experiences, and it multiplied, diluted, and homogenised them until they could be purchased or doled out by institutions as an Experience.

Our cultural memory still thinks that the real things exist in the simulations, so we think that "someone reading a book" means "someone understanding a book." But these industrialised, dehumanised processes are woven into the process of reading itself, and the infinite and subtle complex of activities surrounding it.

Finding someone who truly understands some philosophical book is an interesting experience. Finding someone who has the correct opinions about that book because he tapped into the false authenticity of the hermeneutic pre-expectations of other people who have already thought the correct opinions and with whose thought he must meld is not interesting.

>Are they new friends of "truth", these coming philosophers? In all probability: for all philosophers have hitherto loved their truths. But certainly they will not be dogmatists. It must offend their pride, and also their taste, if their truth is supposed to be a truth for everyman, which has hitherto been the secret desire and hidden sense of all dogmatic endeavours. "My judgement is my judgement: another cannot easily acquire a right to it" -- such a philosopher of the future may perhaps say. One has to get rid of the bad taste of wanting to be in agreement with many. "Good" is no longer good when your neighbour takes it into his mouth. And how could there exist a "common good"! The expression is a self-contradiction: what can be common has ever but little value. In the end it must be as it is and has always been: great things are for the great, abysses for the profound, shudders and delicacies for the refined, and, in sum, all rare things for the rare.

"People have some new thing to chatter about for a while, and then something newer still, and in the meantime go on doing what they have always done."

You can't meassure general intelligence. Reading books allows people to learn new concepts, or get names for them at least. Someone could know of a concept without having read about it.

Saying ridiculously idiotic things is more an indication of immaturity than it is one of intellect.

All the books in the world won't help you if your mind is too green to approach them sensibly.

*lack of intellect, I should have said.

>the correct opinions

Makes your comment look like satire.

Everything "looks like" something to you, which is why you aren't conscious.

>I'm measuring intellect by my own jurisdiction

fuckin lol

this was already covered in plato you dumbass

wow who would have thought variables exist

"...people who read classic literature or have studied philosophy are no less intellectual than a person who never has"

You aren't even trying...

I really want to hug that piece of tree

Bump! How do I Into Smartness?

Okay, I'll be more specific. I've met an alt right, dogmatic catholic, george lincoln rockwell / nazi sympathizer who read a lot of classic literature and philosophy. It obviously doesn't make you smarter, but I wouldn't guess that would be a self evident example especially on this board.

>Okay, I'll be more specific. I've met an alt right, dogmatic catholic, george lincoln rockwell / nazi sympathizer who read a lot of classic literature and philosophy.

You haven't described someone that is necessarily lacking in smarts here. You've just met someone that you ideologically disagreed with and you've found a very indirect and passive aggressive way to criticize him to strangers on the internet.

I bet you didn't even call him out when you were face to face. This thread is bitch made shit.

I actually became his friend for months and we would argue daily, but okay be presumptuous.

>catholic
>nazi sympathizer
That guy isn't just someone that the user disagrees with, that guy is just plain retarded.

You know the Catholic Church sympathized with the Nazis, right?

I don't, actually. I didn't know that publishing an encyclical that clearly criticizes the Nazi regime means "sympathy".
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_Nazi_Germany

>the Nazis were essentially hostile to Christianity and the Catholic Church facedpersecution in Nazi Germany. Its press, schools and youth organisations were closed, much property confiscated and around one third of its clergy faced reprisals from authorities.

Hahahah. Wikipedia. What we know about Hitlers' and the Nazi stance on Christianity are post war constructions. He disliked what Christianity had become but he himself recognized his movement as a christian one. Hitler is not Himmler is not Von List. Hitler didn't like Himler's and Von List's cult and he literally saw no place for it in the future Reich.

Being against the current catholic church =/= antichristian. Tl;Dr Jesus was an Aryan and was killed by the Jews.

Just wanted to clear that up so you can continue your discussion on how Nazis are retards cause they're Nazis. Don't forget to praise Lenin, guys.

>you are all brainwashed kids, history is a lie, hitler was a good guy i swear

ok kid

>My reading comprehension is being completely nonexistent on purpose heh...
There an equal amount of memes evolving around him being evil. At least try to think one step further, pops.

Wht a shitti, boring wal of ext.Ur fuken retarted, U retard

im gonna go reda Pride and Prejudice, The Count of Monte Cristo, 1984, etc

den its it taime for nascar n tits

The problem is really that basically no one knows how to read today. The average fucking doctorate is less educated than a first year university student from only 100 years ago.

>my own jurisdiction

You probably only say this because you're a stupid pleb who hasn't read the western cannon.

>tfw to inteligent to givea shit abaout this thread

You may want to read Jung OP.

He argues ideological convictions are often formed by psychological complexes, and emotional problems. Smart people if anything are just better at convincing themselves what they want to believe is true.