Good Vegan Food For Potlucks

Hi. I'm going to a potluck and I'm not sure what I should make. It has to be served at room temperature so that cuts out most of my recipes. I don't really want to bring anything sweet because it's a morning potluck and who wants dessert in the morning? Not me.

Also must be vegan or easily veganized.

So far what I've come up with is:
strawberries with coconut whipped cream
Tofurky hickory smoked deli slice sandwiches with Just Mayo
cucumber sandwiches with vegan cream cheese
ants on a log
breakfast style taquitos with tofu spinach crumble inside
cashew cheese and crackers
tofu triangles
blueberry muffins

What else could be good served at room temperature?

I want to impress people but also not spend too much time or money.

>good
>vegan
pick 1 (one)

Every time I read a comment like this I think about little kids who haven't realized that onions are delicious yet and pick them off their pizzas.

Except even little kids know better than you - all the kids I've made food for (a lot) loved my food and devour it.

Half a watermelon, sprinkled with sunflower seeds and drizzled in egg free mayonnaise

Sounds like something a Mexican would eat, minus the chili powder.

>he spends years of his life working out how to replace certain ingredients in every recipe according to his own arbitrary dietary restrictions
>he probably thinks a vegan diet is healthier
Lmao

Why does it have to be vegan? There's going to be meat eaters there.

Make this.

She* knows a vegan diet is healthier. And it isn't arbitrary.

>that guy who brings vegan to a potluck

I need to eat food too. Unfortunately my food is probably the only food I'll be able to eat, LOL.

Also I'm a vegan and am not suddenly going to make something non-vegan just because there are meat eaters there. Don't be silly.

>it isn't arbitrary.
You're not allergic to animal products, so it's arbitrary.
>she
no one gives a flying fuck which one of the two it is.

onions are not dilicious gayfag cucksuck

every human is allergic too animal products but the meat industry campane;s lieing too us convints'd people there not

Oh God no!!!
be gender neutral, BE GENDER NEUTRAL!!1
It'll correct you otherwise. Don't upset it.

>that thing who brings vegan to a potluck

My sister was actually told by a doctor that she's allergic to animal products. So there's a chance I may be too. I mean, I did cure my chronic nausea instantly when I went vegan, so maybe that's why.

And no, it's not arbitrary. I don't want to fund animal torture and death and environmental destruction.

But please, can you meat eaters stop getting unnecessarily butthurt and shitting up the thread? I just want some more ideas for the potluck. Take a chill pill.

wiggly, wiggly bait.

no not bait meat indistry shill stop lieing too us

yur teh lyer. meet is gud four us. yur tri-ing 2 kell us just lik obama.

no my mom tells me it is bad she could never lie too me so your the lier!

mini quiches
pasta salad (There's thousands of different things you could do with that)
savoury "cheese"cakes

cash me ousside, howbowdah?

i dont understand what your saying but for youre sake i hope youre not ensulting my mom im a 7th degree blackbelt master in 8 diffrant martal art's

Cook a load of rice/couscous/quinoa/tabouleh in veg stock. Add a load of sauteed, diced veg, onion, porcini mushrooms plus the liquor, garlic, bit of chilli and some soft herbs. Stuff the mix into bell peppers, tomatoes, courgette/zucchini and run 'em through the oven. Cool to room temperature and serve.

One time I brought a Greek yogurt version of coleslaw to a cookout. Everyone commented how it wasn't as good as mayo based coleslaw. I learned that day that any time you cooking for a group just use the least healthy, fat, surgar and salt laden recipe because that is what people want.

>least healthy, fat, surgar and salt laden recipe because that is what people want.
It's what most restaurants do.

cook meat, stop being a faggot

sounds like you aren't being very considerate of other people's diet preferences

bring a platter of oreos

you're probably better off with watermelon and chilipowder

this is the best suggestion so far, but it sounds like OP wants to be lazier than that

And they, in turn, won't be considerate of OP's dietary preferences.

I'm sure there will be chips and cookies which are usually animal product free, OP just sounds like he needs validation for being vegan

Probably because he didn't tell anyone about it so he could pull the special snowflake and the discrimination cards when he got there.

t. talentless cooks

Kind of. DESU that doesn't sound very good to me. I know a lot of people like it so I'm not trying to be insulting, but that's something I might make for myself one night, but not something I'd want to be someone's first experience with vegan food.

I'm leaning more towards the the taquitos or a mix of the Tofurky sandwiches and cucumber sandwiches. Then with a side of strawberries with coconut whipped cream. Cashew cheese would be really good too but I'd have to buy a lot of ingredients for that I can't see myself using for anything but that.

Actually I did tell people about it, but it was apparently too close to the potluck date. Crossing my fingers someone remembered so I don't have to feel awkward just eating my own food.

>tofu cheesecake (I have a really good recipe for a key lime cheesecake made with tofu)
>a dip plate with hummus or white bean dip, a yogurt dip (made with soy, coconut, or almond yogurt, and using various ingredients, there's lots of good recipes), and a salsa dip. Serve with pita chips and tortilla chips.
>Vegetable lasagna using "ricotta" cheese made from tofu (I also have a good recipe for this)
>Ratatouille
>Pasta salad with a vinaigrette dressing
>Thai Papaya salad (minus the fish sauce, use liquid aminos instead)
>Tofu Spring rolls (marinate and bake the tofu in strips the day before assembling)
>Roasted beet salad (using both red and golden beets) with toasted walnuts and a vinaigrette on a bed of greens
>Mini nut burgers (I can tell you a recipe for the nut burger patties, if you need it)

Stuffed peppers are completely normal. That's why it wold be a good choice instead of freaky vegan pseudofoods that sound totally unappetizing like tofurky and cashew cheese

Sorry, I'm not OP, that was in the field from another thread.

did you have a particular recipe for the breakfast taquitos or were you just gonna wing it? i'm kinda interested.

What would you stuff a pepper with that would be both Vegan and appetizing? I can't think of anything.

This post makes me sorry I helped you with suggestions. Ugh....Why can't you vegans just shut the fuck up with your preaching. I wouldn't have a problem with vegans IF they just talked about meat free dishes with out all the proselytizing.

>who wants dessert in the morning
>strawberries with coconut whipped cream
>blueberry muffins
???

Your ideas sound impressive enough. Maybe something with hummus or muhammara, vegans love that shit.

>rice/couscous/quinoa/tabouleh in veg stock. Add a load of sauteed, diced veg, onion, porcini mushrooms plus the liquor, garlic, bit of chilli and some soft herbs

Buy some Hampton Creek-brand Just Mayo and you can make potato salad and coleslaw.

Protip for coleslaw: after cutting the cabbage and other veggies, sprinkle salt/sugar over them and let that sit in a collander for an hour. Then, dump out over a clean town and lightly press out the extra moisture. They stay more crunchy that way.

clean towl*

>Vegans shouldn't be allowed to say why they're vegan when someone claims it's arbitrary!
>That's preaching!
>Why can't they stop caring about animals being tortured and start caring about ME and MY FEELINGS?!

Coconut whipped cream sounds interesting. Have you heard of aquafaba? It's whipped chickpea liquid, allegedly gives a meringue type consistency. I've never tried it but that would be kind of "impressive" I think.

Otherwise I think the taquitos sound the best for a savory option.

Well you haven't decided what you're even making yet so everyone else is just making an excuse for not making vegan food just for you and your snowflake eating disorder.

Well, the strawberries with coconut whipped cream is a very light dessert that almost doesn't count as a dessert, especially if I use maple syrup instead of powdered sugar. And the blueberry muffins are just a typical breakfast food and I'd add something savory if I made those. But yeah I don't think I'll make those.

And I actually am not a huge fan of hummus. It's alright, but if I made any kind of dip it'd be made out of cashews, beans, or avocado.

That sounds pretty good except potato salad has just never been my favorite thing.

Animals are ethically undeserving of protection because they won't extend the same courtesy to you.

Chickens are assholes
Pigs would eat you if they could

>And I actually am not a huge fan of hummus
Calling the vegan police right now.

If you're just looking for time saving, head to a deli and grab falafel, veggie dolmades, tzatziki, houmous and chilli sauce. Grab some pittas and ask the host to toast them and slice 'em. Maybe a few crudites with a sherry vinegar and wholegrain mustard vinaigrette for that "home made" touch?

I'm not vegetarian by the way, just enjoy cooking for vegetarians and vegans every so often.

Rabbits are the worst assholes of all. I have to shoot at least 10 every year to protect my garden from those pricks. Even with fencing, those bastards will find a way in.

>And I actually am not a huge fan of hummus
That's ok. you're cooking for other people , remember?

Or are you just cooking for yourself and forcing everyone else to eat what you like

I actually personally don't like any of that food. Nice suggestion, just not for me. I'm more of a traditional American cuisine kind of person. With the rare Indian dish thrown in.

How do you know they like hummus? And yeah, I'm cooking for myself too. Why would I serve other people food that I don't even like myself? That's retarded.

I have. I've yet to try it. And I agree, leaning towards the taquitos.

Not sure what I would use for a dip though. I think dip is kind of mandatory for taquitos. Not sure if guacamole would be good for breakfast taquitos. Would kind of like to make a cheeze sauce but that would take a lot more ingredients since I'd want to make it from scratch with cashews and maybe carrots or something like that.

Then I'm a bit stuck, not being that familiar with traditional US veggie options. Last suggestion, take a load of vegan friendly beer along and get hammered when all the food has gone.

Thank you, these sound great.

Had considered making lasagna - I also have an awesome recipe, but I think it wouldn't taste as good at room temperature, IDK.

You're the beer guy with the cat.

you are the worst person ever to invite to a potluck

just bring beer and wine

lol, would love to bring vegan alcoholic drinks, but it's going to be at a school, so I can't.

A vegan Kahlua sundae sounds good right now.

I don't particularly like pizza, but if was having friends over and cooking a few things for them, I'd make pizza, lots of people like it.

>impressive
>cheap
>quick

Omnis can choose only two. Vegans can only choose one.

You should prepare the same thing good housewives of the 50's would have prepared: an eyecatching aspic. Make a red tomato soup, an herbaceous green soup and a creamy mushroom soup, gel them with agar and layer them in the nicest mold you have. Agar does fine at room temperature, better than gelatin would.

Chapati upma.

Man, ops style is writing is too close to the person who was in here last weekend freaking out about a post class potluck where the slightest smell of animal products was going to make *her* sick.

Is vegan false flagging all you do, OP? Come on man, get more creative.

>traditional American cuisine
>vegan

???

If you're going to choose to have a restrictive diet in terms of removing animal products and then go on to be picky about wonderful, tasty dishes from other cultures that just happen to be vegan then I don't think there is any helping you.

What do you eat as a vegan?

french fries and bbq sauce?

That's because I'm the same person. I'm still freaking out, but less so because it seems like most people are bringing cold food anyway. Only issue is one girl is bringing chicken tacos, but hopefully they're not hot enough to smell too bad when she gets there, or I can leave early/it's held outside.

Will probably end up leaving early, but I'm just crossing my fingers it won't stink so bad and I'll be able to ignore the fact that they're consuming the flesh and secretions of tortured animals.

imagine being this pathetic

I eat tons of stuff as a vegan.
Rice crispies with soy milk and sliced bananas, pizza with Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella, Gardein, tofu saag, oatmeal, burritos, pasta, dumplings, the list goes on and on. I just am not a big fan of Mediterranean food.

I don't give a fucking SHIT if you care about my feelings. But being a vegan IS arbitrary, and you're whiny, proselytizing asshole. Go fuck yourself with a tofurky, fucknut.

You mentioned one fruit.
One. And zero vegetables.
You have a shitty bland diet. I'm glad i'm not your tastebuds.

Nope. But I wish was as prolific with the OC as he is.

>zero vegetables

Saag is greens.

I put vegetables on my pizza, duh. Sauteed onions and green bell peppers. Then I might have some veggies with my Gardein, topped with soy sauce. Tofu saag is tofu and spinach, and there are also onions and tomatoes in that. Burritos will sometimes have veggies like lettuce, salsa, or grilled onions/bell peppers. Pasta will sometimes have veggies. Dumplings are just veggies covered in dough.

But yeah, usually I have a pretty basic diet I guess. Tofu saag is my most adventurous common meal I'll eat.

One last thought, as the beer is a non starter. With your strawberries and coconut cream, a little syrup from some stem ginger and some lime zest would add a nice little zip to the dish.

That would be the rare indian dish. A bowl of soggy spinach once a month isn't healthy.

I'm an ethical vegan, not a dietary vegan.

I just eat a pretty normal American diet, except veganized. I'll eat apples with peanut butter, celery with peanut butter and raisins, variety of different fruits. I should eat more vegetables it's just that I usually make my food quickly and vegetable dishes that are tasty take some preparation generally.

LOL

Christ, and you have the gall to wonder why people think you should be institutionalized.

some fucking meatballs you dicksucking shitgobbler

no one wants ferns and crackers you're not hosting a potluck to some fucking deer

OP, bring ferns and crackers. Fiddleheads are the shit and everyone likes a good cracker.

so it's an arbitrary choice of diet then?

she wants to lord her """moral superiority""" over everyone else, that's what it's about.

scoop some dirt off the ground and mix it with ketchup

Well earlier it wasn't arbitrary. Now it's an ethical choice, which is arbitrary. Stupid bitch should should just not go to the pot luck, i'm assuming no-one who is going to be there actually likes her anyway.

>Hi.

Fuck off.

Just thought I'd let you all know that I've made my decision and it's going to blow people's minds. Tested it out tonight and it's super yummay.

Tofurky hickory smoked deli slice sandwiches with Just Mayo, cucumber, lettuce, and a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder on some fluffy whole wheat bread.

Also decided I'm going to give them brownies as well. Just made some incredible brownies using Duncan Hines chewy fudge brownie mix, Vegan Egg (using less water than it calls for and less "egg" than the Duncan Hine's box called for as well), with Guittard semi-sweet chocolate chips, and melted Earth Balance instead of oil. Yum. Not sure if I'm going to bother now with the strawberries and coconut whipped cream, because this will be a lot of food.

What the fuck is egg free mayonnaise?

such a passively aggressive malicious comment. you must really hate vegans

>Guittard semi-sweet chocolate chips

Those are processed on equipment that also processes milk. Are you cool with that? I wasn't sure if my vegan would be cool with that, so I get the Enjoy Life ones. You're a brazillion times more neurotic than him, though, so if you're cool with it then he'd probably be cool with it.

Just Mayo.

You know, I actually checked the ingredients a long time ago and kind of just grabbed them because I knew they were vegan. So I haven't actually thought about them being processed on equipment that also processes milk in ages.

I used to think of it as them just putting that on there for people with severe allergies, and so they probably didn't have even a trace amount of milk in them, but they had to put that to be safe.

But now that I've been vegan longer, it does bother me actually. Even a small chance that my vegan food has trace amounts of animal product in it makes me nauseous thinking about. I'll still give them the brownies but desu I won't be buying the semi-sweet chocolate chips again. Are the Enjoy Life ones good?

>Are the Enjoy Life ones good?

They're awesome. They have a really pure chocolate flavor because they're ONLY made of chocolate and sugar. No milk, palm oil or even vanilla.

What a typical snowflake vegan does.

I heard dirt is pretty good

i will never consume anything called "tofurkey" or anything containing "Just (Fuck My Shit Up) fake mayo" and neither will 99% of non-vegans
why the fuck did you substitute out the oil in your brownies???

Sounds terrible, the only thing they're gonna blow is chunks