Guys I found a bag of Skittles but they expired almost 2 years ago. Do you think they're still okay to eat???

Guys I found a bag of Skittles but they expired almost 2 years ago. Do you think they're still okay to eat???

yes

Fuck off

Best before dates are for palatability and shiet, not for food safety. As long as the packaging isn't damaged nor deformed in any way then it's probably safe to eat.

But always remember the rule regarding food and drink - when in doubt, throw it out.

They definitely won't kill you but you may or may not get a bit sick.

>use-by dates are not for food safety
>what is milk
>what is meat
>what are perishable foods

Ya gotta try harder

yo fuck yeah dude you get the lime flavored ones

no he doesn't need to try harder he's absolutely correct, a "use by" "sell by" or "best by" date is not in any way a legally binding guarantee of food safety whether the product could become unsafe before or after the stated date.

It is a manufacturer's suggestion, and that is all.

struth

manufacturers are not allowed to use best by dates as a disclaimer to avoid liability for their products, and consumers do not have any legal recourse if a product goes bad before the date on a product

>not in any way a legally binding guarantee of food safety

Well thank goodness i never implied nor explicitly stated that that was the case! It's kind of amazing though how things like meat and milk tend to spoil around their "use-by" dates (which are different from "sell-by"), almost like the entity that manufactured it knows how long it'll last. Wow!

>not allowed to use best by dates as a disclaimer to avoid liability for their products

Wow, you two anons aren't fans of reading the posts you're replying to are you? I'm making no statement about liability, legality, or even purpose behind "use-by" dates I'm only saying: perhaps a dairy producer knows more about milk than you do.

>use by
>best before
>same thing
No. Best before is literally that. The product is best before this date. A Use by is literally that. Use this product by this date. Ones a suggestion the other is an order.

Although "best by" and "use by" are almost effectively the same thing (though you're right, one is more just a suggestion), I didn't ever say anything about "best before"

Do you fucking idiots even read a post before you reply to it??

I got Yogos that expired in 2010.
Since it's yogurt I am going to assume that it isn't safe to eat.

Did you even read the rest of the post? Its like you just read the first sentence and sperged out, you fucking illiterate retard.

>what is milk
>what is meat
>what are perishable foods

if you have to ask what those are, you gotta go back to school.

And the person YOU replied to used best before and didn't say anything about use-by, you daft cunt.

I did actually: that user made several assertions, one of them being that "use-by dates have nothing to do with food safety." In case YOU didn't read that post, that user made no further qualifying/quantifying statements nor did they attempt to add anything to that claim. So, it's actually OK to criticize that single point.

Found the newfag. Is it really summer already.

You did it, you solved the case

nah they are.

ate some from 2010 a couple of months ago

Last fall I pulled my winter coat out and found a bacon cheeseburger in one of the pockets.

I had bought it at some point the winter season previous to last fall...anyways, I opened it up, and gave it a quick smell then threw it into the microwave and ate it...

I LIVE...but I did get a case of the nigglet shits for the next few days...

They're mostly sugar so they won't get you sick but the outer coatings might be crumbling and the insides turning powdery.

no, the sugar has gone bad!

wow this guy doesn't like being corrected apparently

I mentioned the legal part because manufacturers aren't even allowed to say that a product could be unsafe based off any date they stamp on a package. It's a liability issue. Manufacturers do not use these dates for a food safety purpose. They use them only for a food quality purpose. That is a requirement by law.

>the bread in my freezer went past the use by date better throw it out derp
>this mayonnaise I stored in the cupboard during summer still says it's good for a week I guess its ok then

you're really retarded. did you know milk typically doesn't spoil until 10 days after the use by date? that's because the date is a suggestion made so the consumer gets the best quality product, which increases sales.

>moving_goalposts.webm

Should be okay. typically what happens with candies is depending on what kind they are (IE candy concoctions, chocolate of some sort, candy+chocolate, etc) they morph some. m&ms start to lose their color after a few years, and get a weird taste but they're not bad, it's just bloomed chocolate, basically.

skittles, being largely just a candy shell and some sugar+flavoring, will be fine. They may look weird but I doubt they're "bad". they put them in some MREs/IMPs, so obviously they're meant to have some sort of shelf life.

You've mixed up "Use By" and "Best Before", which are distinct and different: Best Before is a strong food quality recommendation, Use By is a mandatory food safety requirement. Selling things past their Use By date is a rapid ticket to government regulators shutting you the fuck down.

Of course, there's every possibility that the law on food safety is a hell of a lot worse where you are (US?) and you're also right, but if you don't even have that basic one, that's pretty shocking.

Possibly, but they'll probably be hard and powdery and not very nice.

>did you know milk typically doesn't spoil until 10 days after the use by date?

Just make clabber milk if it expires! There is no use buy, it's "good" forever!

>only two years old

>is it really summer already?
Would a middle schooler browse a fucking cooking board on his time off?