Bread General

General for the dicussion of all things bread!
Bread from pizzas, hotdog buns, mediterranean bread... anything goes!

From the perspectivee of a person that grew up in a mediterranean country, I don't understand how british and american people can have or dinner without bread. I enjoy fish and meat SO MUCH more if i accompany it with bread as i eat.
Also, in the english language, there seems to bee a general term for traditional mediterranean bread called "french bread" and actual french bread has its own word "baguette"
i guess its just perspectives, but i dislike the generalization that bread in spain, greece, and italy is called "french bread"

Other urls found in this thread:

kingarthurflour.com/recipes/parker-house-rolls-recipe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anybody else use/download this book?
I've made poolish focaccia, focaccia, artos and challah which turned out pretty well and also french bread which wasn't so good.
What are some other recipes that are worth making?

Do you do these with a home oven?
id recommend trying "empanada"
its a circle shaped bread with tuna or meat inside

>I don't understand how british and american people can have or dinner without bread

Americans do have bread, though it's more likely to come in the fashion of rolls, rather than sliced bread. And it's not very common to bake your own, sad to say, though it's not hard.

kingarthurflour.com/recipes/parker-house-rolls-recipe

Bread's also got a bit of a stigma these days. Carbs, gluten, blah blah blah. I say the real problem is cheap, bleached, pre-sliced white bread became the standard.

nobody bakes their own in spain and france
there are PanaderĂ­as/Pastelerias that do both bread and bake cakes or other sweets
my genereal view is that British and Americans like Wheat loaf bread more and mediterranean people like the stereotypical long bread thats crunchy in the outside

Baker/pastry chef here, AMA

I've also worked with and got to take a class with the author of this book here Peter Reinhart is a really nice and down to earth guy.

Middle Eastern people literally eat cock lmao

We call different styles of bread by the name that came from it's country of origin, such as baguette, brioche, or call it by what type of bread it is, or, call it by the region or city in America it's from.
For example, pick related. It's sourdough bread, but specifically it's San Francisco sourdough, made with yeast strains that are indigenous to Northern California, which makes the taste and texture different from other sourdoughs.

I've got a book full of bread recipes.
Problem is it is for mass production of food.
>Like 8lbs of dough
and I just can't break down these numbers into a 4 person portion without knowing how much a four person portion is.
So my question is, do you have a recipe for a small amount of dough? If I can get portions for like, 2 french breads, then I'll be good and can work around that.

Made a nice, basic free-form bread with spinach, basil, and tarragon yesterday. It had been over a month since the last time I baked, so I was easing myself back into the groove. Didn't take any pics, it wasn't really worth pics anyway. The person I gifted my loaf to still thought it was very tasty.

I forgot just how relaxing process of breadmaking was.

Looking for someone to spoonfeed a novice - what would be easier, pretzels or bagels, and does anyone have a good recipe for them?

I'm American and eat bread with most meals, especially dinner. Most restaurants serve it with dinners as well, but it can range from meh to great.

It's not always easy to find a hard baguette in the US. Many grocery stores sell "french bread" but it's not the same as a hard, crusty baguette.

Bread is trash. Just like Mediterranean cultures.

what the fuck is a ka'ak I have never heard/ate it

>muh crumb

eat shit,crumbfags. my bread was delicious.

Gugelhupf (not Kugelhupf) is a cake, not bread. Same probably for Panettone.
And nowhere in Europe have I seen a Bagel (except the rare Dunkin Donuts store.)

I think the joke is that the two jewish breads are called worldwide?

So I've been working on my starter for about a week or 10 days now and while I can smell the fermentation I can't really see much bubbling action. Do I need to make it more doughy than the pasty thing I have now? Also what does a good starter smell like?

Pretzels aren't Bavarian?

>Bagel: worldwide
>Challah: worldwide

That's galician empanada, not to confuse with standard empanada