/wprg/ Day 12: War and Peace Reading Group

Halfway Mark Edition

The reading for day 12 is B2 Part 5 Chapter 3 through the end of Book Two, pp. 581-644.

>Ebooks and audiobook
mega.nz/#F!4QVj1b4B!BMF7h3um_c5qWHQCP_aw6g

Previous threads

Reading Schedule

What. A. Slut.

I'm not too sad for my boy Andrei, really think he dodged a bullet there. The idea of him further abandoning his son to live with Natasha was quite distressing. Though the hints at him becoming more like his father are troubling too.

Tolstoi's hard-on for Natasha is irrepressible. She completely disgraces herself, her family and her betrothed and he still tries to paint her in a sympathetic light, and ends the section by having yet another main character fall in love with her. Must be Nikolai's turn next.

At least Pierre has nothing worthwhile to fuck up.

Sonya was the big winner in the waifu power rankings today.

Excited for the next book, 1812 is finally here.

>Marya Dmitrievna having found Sonya weeping in the corridor, made her confess everything, and intercepting the note to Natasha she read it and went into Natasha’s room with it in her hand.
‘You shameless slut!’ said she. ‘I don’t want to hear a single word.'

>'Disgusting, abominable … In my house … horrid girl, slut! I’m only sorry for her father!’ she thought, trying to restrain her wrath.

>Sónya, as always, did not quite keep pace with them, though they shared the same reminiscences.
>Much that they remembered had slipped from her mind, and what she recalled did not arouse the same poetic feeling as they experienced. She simply enjoyed their pleasure and tried to fit in with it.

Sonya confirmed for ourguy?

>The shaft horse swayed from side to side, moving his ears as if asking: “Isn’t it time to begin now?”

>tfw the horses start talking to you

Agreed. Natasha was bad news for Andrey. Fuck that silly bitch. She's so desperate to be in love she'll fall for any guy that shows interest. Now Pierre and his fat ass want a pop!

Are we going to have a poll today? I'm curious to see where everyone is at.

>slut
Damn! I wish my translation had used that word.

>She's so desperate to be in love she'll fall for any guy that shows interest

Disagree. She's not desperate for it, but she'll take it if it comes along. Natasha seethes with life which is what draws everyone to her, and she's willing to embrace other people's love (partly to satisfy her vanity, partly because that's her nature) if it presents itself. This is why people fall in love with her all the time and with little effort; she's bursting with authentic life as opposed to the stifling social environment that these characters are stuck in.

>“It doesn’t matter. I’ll get it unraveled. I have a solution ready, but have no time now—I’ll think it all out later on!” But the later on never came. -- Pierre

me_irl

Wtf this book...

This is Xanthos, one of Achilles' horses, speaking to him:

The white-armed goddess Hera gave him voice:
"Yes! we will save your life—this time too—
master, mighty Achilles! But the day of death
already hovers near, and we are not to blame
but a great god is and the strong force of fate.
Not through our want of speed or any lack of care
did the Trojans strip the armor off Patroclus' back.
It was all that matchless god, sleek-haired Leto's son—
he killed him among the champions and handed Hector glory.
Our team could race with the rush of the West Wind,
the strongest, swiftest blast on earth, men say—
still you are doomed to die by force, Achilles,
cut down by a deathless god and mortal man!"
He said no more. The Furies struck him dumb.
But the fiery runner Achilles burst out in anger,

"Why, Roan Beauty—why prophesy my doom?
Don't waste your breath. I know, well I know—
I am destined to die here, far from my dear father,
far from mother. But all the same I will never stop
till I drive the Trojans to their bloody fill of war!"

I'm a bit behind. Just finished yesterday's reading.

Words read for day 11: 22,798
Time taken: 58 minutes

Total words read so far: 249,754
Total words in book: 563,286
Total time taken so far: 10 hours 33 minutes
Approximate total reading time: 25 hours

Now read as much as Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

That time Anatole raped Natasha.

>As he was putting Natásha in he pressed her arm above the elbow.

>“O God! I am lost!” she said to herself. “How could I let him?”

Anatole Pick-Up Artist World Champion 1811

This horse is very pessimistic. Would not ride.

Finished today's reading.

Words read for day 12: 27,647
Time taken: 72 minutes

Total words read so far: 277,401
Total words in book: 563,286
Total time taken so far: 11 hours 45 minutes
Approximate total reading time: 25 hours

I disagree. I think Andrei lost a chance at love here all because Natasha has the mind of a child still. Like Pierre said, it would be like hurting a child because she doesn't know what the real world is like, she's been sheltered all her life. I think he should forgive her and marry.

Poor Natasha. She just wants to love and be loved with all her heart. Anatole (and Helene) took advantage of her naivete.

Count Nikolai Bolkonsky still ruining people's lives. Fucking die already you old bastard.

Has the reading group discussed the next choice for a read through?

There are now two new groups starting up

Start with the Greeks (The Iliad) Day 1: Shakespeare's Plays (Hamlet) Day 1: Count of Monte Cristo Day 9: Short Story Reading Group #2: OP wanted Anna Karenina because he wanted to read all Tolstoy. Others mentioned shorter Tolstoy works. Nothing was really decided. Your thoughts?

Gunna keep you guys bumped.

They are reading Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Ilyich right now

NEW THREAD