Wait, so now we're not supposed to soak beans?

Wait, so now we're not supposed to soak beans?

Other urls found in this thread:

cooksillustrated.com/taste_tests/1517-canned-white-beans
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Soaked beans make me poot mang.
And Im not a fan of pootin

activated beans cause liver failure

It depends on both the bean in use and the dish. Try to keep up, cooks are talking.

canned beans > dried old beans.

You can't stop me from soaking my black beans nigger

You must be american if you possibly believe that crap

Kind of a non sequitur

.........................>................ these are chickpeas

I've never heard anyone in the history of ever tell you not to soak your damn beans

FUCKING WRONG

Get out of here you obsessed faggot

>FUCKING WRONG
Arguing with the autists at cooks illustrated.
Theres more quality control in canneries than driers. Unless you go to a boutique heirloom bean drier then you're better off getting canned.

Seriouseats:
>So You Like Flavor? Don't Soak Your Black Beans!

LA Times:
>Don't soak your dried beans! Now even the cool kids agree

Epicurious:
>MYTH: DRY BEANS MUST BE SOAKED
>Epinion: Don't bother soaking.

>soaking beans
>THIS IS AUTISM
>STOP SPERGING OUT
>EVERYTHING I DON'T LIKE IS AUTISM
>YOU'RE AUTISTIC
>GOOD BOY POINTS AND TENDIES

Banphrase when?

So what we need to add hours to our cooking times just to avoid the soak boogeyman? My beany cajun shit tastes amazing even with soaked beans.

>EVERYTHING I DON'T LIKE IS AUTISM
But I like cooks illustrated user. Stop sperging out.

>paying 3-4x as much because you can't be arsed to fill a bowl with water

Of course how could we ever afford the astronomical price of $.80 a can and save 3 hours of your time waiting for dry beans to soak up water

More like 24 hours.
Dry beans are terrible without a huge stockpot and two days work.

canning your own beans >

Do you even quick-soak?

But do you can dried beans or have a garden? My only access to good fresh beans would be to buy a shit tonne from a farmer's market in season.

>Not cooking your beans in a pressure cooker

i just buy them dry
it's a cost saving convenience thing.. it's only slightly more effort than cooking a big batch of dry beans and then i have perfect portions of cooked beans for weeks without having to lug a billion pounds of overpriced tins around

Soaking can leach flavors out of black beans and they don't need to be soaked in order to not burst. You just have to keep an eye on them and cook them a little longer.
Kidney beans still need to be soaked because they're toxic otherwise, and thin-skinned beans like Cannellinis still need to be soaked in order to not burst. Garbanzos as well.

>As a toxin, it can cause poisoning in monogastric animals, such as humans, through the consumption of raw or improperly prepared kidney beans. Measured in haemagglutinating units (hau), a raw red kidney bean may contain up to 70,000 hau. This can be reduced to safe levels by correct cooking (boiling for at least 30 minutes at 100 °C/ 212 °F). Insufficient cooking, such as in a slow cooker at 80 °C/ 176 °F, however, can increase this danger and raise the available hau up to fivefold

Where is your God now?

I've had inferior, mushier results with soaking beans, compared to bringing them to a boil with a lid and letting them sit.
as in, hard boiling and lidding takes 5 hours and then they're ready for the recipe.

soaking takes 8+ hours, and the next day when I make the dish, they fall apart when stabbed instead of being pierced.

Well, given that a pressure cooker gets even hotter than a normal pot I'd say that user is doing just fine.

Are you perhaps a retard who doesn't understand the difference between a slow cooker and a pressure cooker?

ahh. So you get the worst of both worlds in terms of flavor. Dried beans are stale by definition.

>dry beans are stale

Yeah, no. Without moisture if they've been stored properly, they will never go stale. Enjoy your overpriced canned sodium and chemicals mixed with a few shitier beans because you're to lazy to fill a pot with water and turn on a burner for a few hours, retard.

Again I'm talking about taste. Dried beans taste stale unless you pay 6 bucks a pound of so. Canned is actually more fresh tasting. The canned taste is volatile and can easily be removed via light rinsing or cooking uncovered for a few minutes.

rice is stale too, right?

Rice are not beans.

>Coffee beans don't go stale

green, unroasted ones don't.. retard

Yes they do retard.

>coffee beans are literally beans
they go stale at the same rate dry beans do. which is incredibly slow . and they're seeds, not beans so you're still a retard

Deep. Whats is bagginess?
Been roasting for 7 years. The seeds have oils and thus can pick up off flavors.

no one is arguing that improperly stored foodstuff won't go off

I always had my best results with a short soak, 1-2 hours, and then cooking in a pressure cooker.

I've been following the Serious Eats method for pinto beans, and they taste great:

>cover beans with water and bring to a boil in a covered pot
>remove beans from heat, let sit for an hour
>make bean recipe including water used for soaking

Super fast, super easy, tons of flavor.

I do too but they do occasionally just get shit completely wrong. what'd they say about soaking beans? or why did they come to the conclusion that canned is better than dried

Canned was better overall, except for a boutique dry bean company that costs 6.95/lb. They go on to talk about how its about QC at the canning factory and that canned beans are really just pressure cooked beans still in the pot.

cooksillustrated.com/taste_tests/1517-canned-white-beans

The canners buy sacks of dried beans, soak them , then cook them.

>>coffee beans are literally beans
coffee beans are seeds, not true beans.

he said pressure cooker

Soaking and draining beans actually rinses off the hemagglutinin (literally the fart toxin) and lets you eat them with no fear.

However, lentils are superior in taste, nutrition, texture and price to regular beans so there isn't even an argument here.

lurk more pls

Over simplistic.
Basically, when you buy dry beans you are getting the rejects/floor sweep that wasn't good enough to make it into the cans. The use high speed cameras to find shitty beans and pop them off, those beans go into bags for the poor plebs of the world.

The best canned bean company (goya) in the cooks illustrated article also produced the worst dried bean.

>buying goya because it's the best bean

LMAO

I'll bet you pick up the vegetable gutter refuse from your local international market that they peeled off to make their shelf vegetables look presentable, too.

Enjoy your floor sweep, peasant. I'll spend the extra 20cents per lb for the good canned beans.

I grow two bushes of coffee berries in my backyard. For years, I've just let them rot on the bush, only sometimes sharing them with friends and neighbors for the cool experience and how-it's-made-siness of it all.

Now the season is upon me again and I've got about 1,000 beans ready to turn red and harvest. Any tips for beginners? I'd be more than willing to send some for your effort.

stop making up retarded shit as you go along

>Veeky Forums
>wanting censorship

basically i don't eat enough beans of a single variety to buy dry and be arsed with soaking, even quick soaking. i buy some cans, have them stock in my cupboard for a while. throw them in a colander and give them a rinse. if i had a salad spinner, i'd rinse them and then spin them out. but kitchen space is very limited

If you need to rinse your beans then buy a better canned bean.

if i'm making fucking soup, sure

but sorry i don't need a fucking can of bean juice in my goddamned rice bowl

Are you fucking retarded?
We are talking about rinsing here right?
just drain...don't rinse.

This thread is full of fucking retards.

are YOU fucking retarded?
did you even read the cooks illustrated passage you fucking wrong?

"for one, we drained and rinsed"
"for the other, we dumped it straight in without draining"

>cooks illustrated
>cooks illustrated
>cooks illustrated
>cocks illustrated
>muh cooks

still can't even quote them right even though you're praising at their altar like they're the fucking pinnacle of being "right" about food, as if there is such a damn thing

Yeah, that implies the bean brine is good and you SHOULD NOT RINSE. faggot.

This board has room temperature IQ.

Why do you rinse the beans?

Reminder most shitposting is from reddit tourists trying to make EPIC SCREENCAPS to post on r/Veeky Forums.

Banphrases help reduce trash on boards and the only place that shouldn't use them is /b/.

soaking beans isnt about water absorption alone its about leeching and fermentation, which remove offensive elements

But canned beans have a limited shelf life, as opposed to dried beans, which can be stacked deep and high until the Apocalypse finally happens.

I prefer the texture of dried to canned, so IMO if I'm actually getting seconds it doesn't matter because they taste better.

>2017
>believing everything you read

here's a tip. YOU get to be quality control when you buy dry beans. sort through them, and toss the bad ones, don't buy them when they're trash ezpz.

stop relying on underpaid factory workers to do easy shit for you

and use a pressure cooker. something that every immigrant granny knows about, but the "autists at cooks illustrated" couldn't be bothered with

>here's a tip. YOU get to be quality control when you buy dry beans. sort through them, and toss the bad ones, don't buy them when they're trash ezpz.

>Buy 1lb of dry beans
>half are cracked; toss them
>other half have microfractures that split during cooking
>end up with a shitty pot of beans that doesn't compare to a good canned bean that has been checked by high speed magnified cameras that can detect microfractures, and cooked by state of the art precision pressure cookers.

Great Idea! And you even saved 5 cents!

There's more quality control because you need good quality control when canning goods to avoid botulism. With dried beans you just leave them at the correct temperature and humidity and they do their stuff.

don't buy shitty cracked wrinkled beans
and don't act like saving money is a bad thing
even shitty bad tasting walmart beans canned beans are more than double the cost per serving

The quality control involves bean selection (read the article you dolt)

>don't buy shitty cracked wrinkled beans
Found some at a mere $6/lb. Any other plastic bagged bean is floor sweep.

learn how to shop. and stop with the floor sweep nonsense.

beans + lentils make me bleed

weirdly enough baked beans or refried beans don't make me bleed

what did my body mean by this?

>learn how to shop
What makes you think I don't?
You're just settling for subpar beans, unless you can recommend a brand. I'll wait.

>What makes you think I don't?
the fact that you can't find good beans for less than $6/lb and you think canned tastes better because you read that it does on the internet

i'm not a brand whore. i go to the co-op, the market or the bulk store and get whatever is good quality and locally grown

you probably have crohns or ibs. get that checked out

>the fact that you can't find good beans for less than $6/lb and you think canned tastes better because you read that it does on the internet

Been cooking for years, I was relieved when I saw that article as it exposed what I already knew. Dried beans are a relic and not necessary and only "That's the way mah grandma made so thems good" luddites have a problem with canned beans.

And the fact that you only shop at coops pretty much assures me you are a one of them "traditional luddites" that are against most food technology.

>you only shop at coops
>i go to the co-op, the market or the bulk store

great reading comprehension, there. enjoy your "precision pressure cooked", amazing high quality goya(tm) beans. and keep parroting problematic "studies" you've read on the internet that are full of inconsistencies and inaccuracies. it makes you seem really smart!

>full of inconsistencies and inaccuracies.
Damage control lets make shit up!

Fuck off hippie luddite. You have no power here anymore since your small hippie brain can't articulate a rational truth.

i know reading comprehension isn't your strong suit but if you look through this thread a few of them have been pointed out already

a main one being that they didn't pressure cook the dry beans

JUST

But that's my point you fucking luddite. There's no reason to pressure cook a bean at home. It's done at the factory! Why pressure cook at home when you can just buy a fucking can? Unless you are a Hippie NEET that likes to play with his pressure cooker. You won't make the beans better than can with your shitty home appliance.

Drying anything does remove flavor. Whenever water evaporates off, it takes with it a bunch of aromatic compounds. This is because water is a polar molecule and sticks to the aromatic molecules and literally carries them off as it evaporates. This is one of the reasons why you can smell the food as it cooks. Another factor is that some of the aromatic compounds are fairly volatile, so they will also evaporate on their own in the presence of heat even without the help of evaporating water. This is why dry herbs taste different from fresh - they've had some of the components of their overall flavor removed during drying. Similarly, dried beans will taste different from fresh beans.

It's worth noting however that the drying process is fairly analogous to boiling when it comes to flavor degradation. Whenever you're boiling or simmering food, water evaporates off, carrying off flavor, and the heat causes volatile compounds to evaporate. This is why there's little difference between dried herbs and fresh herbs after they've been cooked for a long time, and why you're supposed to add fresh herbs last. Likewise there's probably little difference between fresh beans and dried beans if both are subjected to a long cooking time, but for fresh beans cooked only slightly there will be a noticeable difference.

>that's my point
no it wasn't

and there's lots of reasons to pressure cook beans at home

>save money (50% or more, not "5 cents")
>save weight
>save storage space
>better variety

you actually sound more like the luddite here, afraid of a little pressure cooker. need daddy goya to make your beans for you

>no it wasn't
I only mentioned like 20x's.
Canned beans are better than dry.

>save money (50% or more, not "5 cents")
I can buy nearly a lb can of beans for a 1.09. A lb of shitty cracked dusty dried beans goes for 89cent or more..I guess your time is worthless.
>save weight
DYEL? WTF? How is this applicable to anything in a normal life?
>save storage space
I guess you eat a tonne of beans given your Hippie NEET lifestye. Most people can get buy with 4 or 6 cans before their next grocery excursion.
>better variety
Yup the best variety is heirloom shit which is expensive. Most canneries can the dozen or so most typical beans found. But I guess this doesn't apply to you since you've found the mecca of grocery experience with your coops and bulk markets where perfect quality heirloom beans fall from the beards of bowtied hippies for pennies on the pound.

>a pound of dehydrated food is comparable to a pound of cooked food in brine

What's the ratio then?
Plus the brine tastes good.

it's roughly 3:1

well shite you might save a buck. if you get out your pressure cooker and settle for lesser QC.

>inb4 I don't pay 1.99/lb for beans from my bearded hipster! Also note that this is the cheap store branded beans.

>i can't math
you'd save more than 200%

if you bought the $6/lb heirloom beans then you'd closer to equivalent cost

3 cans to 1 bag of beans
3x1.09 = 3.27
1x1.99 = 1.99

you save only 1.28 per pound. (once again for lesser quality shit that you have to dirty a pan to make)

and fuck off with your percentages, you only use them because the actual monetary savings are so small saying 200% makes it sound huge.

>he eats the beans directly out of the can

>he can only make soup in a pressure cooker because the recipe calls for beans.

Beans go into the le creuset pot with the other ingredients, bitch. I don't have force myself to cook in a pressure cooker because the recipe calls for beans.

>literally scared of a pressure cooker

enjoy your $1.25 worth of canned water

>le creuset pot vs shit chinese made stainless

I just like good cookware user.

So why are you buying chinese pressure cookers?

Also, Le Creueset is pretty crappy these days. They have a great reputation for the old-school products, but in the past 10 years or so they've been on a push to make everything thinner and lighter. That's exactly the opposite of what you want for a dutch oven. Then again, I think their brand is based more on style than function these days so it might be a good marketing move on their part.

they've also started using plastic knobs, though I hear you can still order metal knobs separately

Don't know about modern Le creuset mine is about 13 years old. Oh, I do like that brine water since I add it to my recipes so it's not like i'm wasting 1.25.

If they turned to shit my next one would be staub, it's just as good.

i have a le crueset from my grandmother AND 2 american made pressure cookers

you don't have to pick just one

>he thinks owning a $300 pot makes up for the fact that he can't cook fucking beans