Come read The Makioka Sisters / 細雪 with us...

Come read The Makioka Sisters / 細雪 with us. It's like Japanese Anna Karenina in terms of importance/cultural relevance/general aesthetic, or so I was told. Learn yourself something about Actually Important TM Japanese literature instead of shitposting Murakami and Mishima memes.

Epub available in the pinned messages on Discord.

We start tomorrow, finish by Jan 13.

discord.gg/EqTc4Kb

How long is it? Do you have a schedule or are you just playing it by ear?

Why Makioka Sisters? Tanizaki is at his best when he's writing tightly controlled prose works. Why not Some Prefer Nettles?

Playing it by ear, finish by 1/13. It's not that strict.

How do I learn Japanese?

Learn Hiragana. Memorize Kanji. Translate works from Aozora and compare your translations with professional ones.

Go pick up the whole Soseki, and try to translate the original text from Aozora to see how close you hit the mark.

Sounds good. Any _easy_ works on Aozora you might recommend to start with before Soseki?

Kenji Miyazawa is a children's author and is usually considered one of their best prose writers. Akutagawa may be too hard, and has less translations out there - but some of his fables are probably good enough.

Take note that some works on Aozora are written in weird Literary Japanese rather than modern Japanese, so you have to find the up to date text.

Actually i would also reccomend Murakami, because all of his books are translated and his style is more 'English' and minimal than grammatically complex. But for that you have to buy his works.

>recommending murakami

go back to r/books

Im talking from a learning perspective. Murakami is easy and translated. Thats all im saying. If you want to start with Kyoka Izumi's ornate Chinese infused literature then go ahead.

I tried to come on and they bullied me about not reading enough classics. 6/10

you were probably just obnoxious about it

read makioka sisters to be less pleb

bump

starting today!!

Mods need to start deleting this meme shit. We don't need a dozen reading threads you New Year's Newfags.

My resolution for new years was to become more well read by visiting Veeky Forums and joining reading groups.

>new year's

try again senpai we've been doing reading groups on the server for close to a year now.

>ulysses
>magic mountain
>petersburg
>don quixote
>kappa
etc.

unlike Veeky Forums we actually read desu

>reading an English translation

>learning an entirely new language for the sake of reading books

go back to your containment board