Is it "actually" dangerous to eat rare ground meat from the super market...

Is it "actually" dangerous to eat rare ground meat from the super market, or is it just another helicopter government warning?

I know some cuckholds who swap utensils when preparing raw meat on the grill will tell me it is dangerous.

But is it really?

Its only safe if it was ground the day of.

Usually it isn't but sometimes it is

Let's say it's slightly more dangerous than whole meat, in the sense that there is more of a possibility for contamination, but really, people are pretty fucking afraid of getting sued or shut down so I feel like generally you're pretty safe.

As for the switching untensils, people are idiots about germs. We don't live in Chicago in upton Sinclair times, food handling procedures have gotten a lot better in the last 100 years, your beef isn't crawling with salmonella.

I'm taking for granted that your buying from a decent grocer. If you're buying 99 cent a pound ground beef from a sketchy bodega, maybe go well done with it.

It generally takes weeks (sometimes more than a month) to get from abbatoir to supermarket and with ground there's the potential of bacteria from fecal contamination mixed in and multiplying during that time.

Why is everyone talking about how old the meat is? That doesn't matter. The fact that it's being put through a grinder that's had a whole bunch of other meat put through it is the thing that increases the risk. Cross contamination.

Yes this does actually spread infections. There are plenty of documented cases of this. Cook your meat. Don't put raw stuff like lettuce on the same cutting board as the meat.

Nice try, veganDA.

It's meat with increased surface area... so basically anything that's going to grow on it has incredibly increased opportunity to do so. It will pick up and incubate Shigella, Hep A, E-Coli, Norovirus (common cold/Norwalk), and Salmonella among other fun things... so, if it's more than a day old (really a few hours if you plan on keeping it out of the fridge for more than an hour), just cook it to temp.

If you insist on something like tartare, or a rare burger, grind or chop your own beef, or get a butcher to do it for you.

You probably won't kill anyone, but pink 'ground' beef isn't preferred. Personally I've tried hard to give myself food poisoning and I haven't done it in a couple decades.

Okay I have a question because I've been doing this for quite some time

What about prepping vegetables first, then putting raw meat on that? Like, soaking up a little carrot/onion/garlic juice isn't going to give it salmonella right? So veggies safe are first?

I hate doing dishes.

only the other way round.

I wouldn't take too many unnecessary risks with spinach, tomato or bean sprouts, but generally speaking veggies are pretty clean.

technically, you can get e.coli from veg, if it isn't washed and has been sprayed with shit. Realistically, it's not as remotely dangerous as doing meat then veg. You're never going to be completely safe, but ask yourself, how many people do you know who have gotten e.coli poisoning? It's more likely a processing scandal in Argentina that's going to kill you, than your own shitty food handling.

vegans are not safe from ecoli or samonella; tons of veg are tainted every day w/ those. They have to wash their shit or cook it the same as meat people. Eating raw broccoli that isn't washed has a higher chance of making you sick than eating a thousand uncooked eggs.

Chipotle has made how many people sick?

fuck off peta

Just cook your food? If you're eating raw shit and died because of it, you kinda deserve to be out of the genepool.

Yes, it's dangerous. Ground beef is one of the most processed and touched meats of the meat industry, it's usually crawling with E. coli bacteria, and that's just one of the main ones. Leave the "rare" to steaks.

>another low IQ raretard thread

You'll know when a worm is poking out tour asshole, OP.

People with common sense

People with not so common sense

>Ground beef is one of the most processed and touched meats of the meat industry,

Not all ground beef is Walmart tier shit.

Buy good quality beef, or better yet--grind it yourself--and this concern disappears.

I've been eating "medium rare" hamburgers for more than 20 years and I've never once gotten sick. Is there a risk? Of course. But that doesn't mean it's anywhere near as risky as some people think.

When I make hamburgers I buy a couple slabs of short ribs from the butcher. I bone out the meat myself and grind it using the meat grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer. There is no cross-contamination there.

no, not really. sure there's a tiny bit of a risk but then again, you could get hit by lightning.

hey jack, shouldn't you be making more youtube videos instead of browsing ck

he's right though

you don't have to buy the shittiest, cheapest, most contaminated meat

I don't get why americans are afraid about some raw food.

I live in Belgium and sometimes I eat raw meat, raw eggs, non-pasteurized cheese... I never get sick, never.

It's because the american food is low quality or what?

Never heard of these tasty monstrositys?

A fucking lot same as taco bell I think is the other one that always has issues with it.

There is a risk yes, but it's pretty negligible (though much greater than compared to "undercooked" steak)

I eat most meat (other than poultry) undercooked, i just make sure i freeze it first. Freezing wont kill everything but it will kill parasites and (this is speculation) reduce bacteria to an amount that isnt going to make a healthy adult sick

Yeah. They're have health standards comparable to fucking Africa. Dutchfag here btw, we recently banned even false propaganda on food packages. If you claim something on the package like "real cheese" or w/e. It HAS to be, by law. In the US they don't enjoy first world privileges like we do.

>sometimes I eat raw meat, raw eggs, non-pasteurized cheese... I never get sick, never.

I'm American, and I do the exact same thing.

It's simply fear/misunderstanding. on the part of some people.

what? You have non-pasteurized cheese in the Jewnited States of America?

Sure.

People think that no-pastuerized cheese doesn't exist here, but that's a misunderstanding.

1) We have it locally made.
and
2) We have it imported.

The only thing we don't have is foreign-made unpasteurized cheese which is less than 6 weeks old--that is illegal to import. More than 6 weeks old is legal to import.

Kibbeh Nayeh is raw ground beef or lamb and it's totally safe to eat but the orders for the meat are placed days in advance so the beef can be freshly ground on clean blades, and it's served on the same day. You probably don't want to pick up a package of pre ground beef off the shelf and go home and eat it.

hey Jack!

Hey Reddit!

>haha I'm call 'em Reddit.

I don't think its that dangerous for healthy people if it is decently fresh and well refrigerated. Ive eaten grocery store hamburgers medium and I've been fine.

That being said, the government has to say that because people with compromised immune systems, young people, or the elderly all eat that beef and they have a much greater chance of getting sick.

Your best bet is to buy chuck roasts or steaks and grind your own meat. If thats not enough (because I know crybabies will say there is still bacteria on the outside of the steaks) then you could sous vide your hamburger for two hours above 131 degrees then sear it in the pan or grill. This will pasteurize your beef and you can eat it medium rare with no worry at all.

Lots of people get triggered with pink hamburger meat. For me its more about the texture than getting sick. I like mine medium.

Also as far as swapping utensils when grilling meat its not really that necessary. The heat from the grill will sterilize the utensils. Also a quick dip in between the grates is more than enough to sterilize anything instantly.

Pretty much every bacteria that makes you sick will be killed instantly if the temp rises above 160 degrees and the inside of a grill near the coals is hundreds of degrees.

our eggs are washed beforehand in the US. I know a lot of egg producers in europe dont wash their eggs which leaves the protective antibacterial coating in place. This is why a lot of french people don't refrigerate eggs and Americans do. Ive had beef tartar many times as well as eaten raw eggs and never been sick. I think its an outdated system still inplace to avoid lawsuits and just to be safe but regular healthy people wont usually get sick from it. Also lots of foods are mass produced and that makes them a little more dangerous.

Yeah what said, its actually really easy and cheap to get.
They have to do that here as well its why Kraft Singles could not be legally labeled as "Pasteurized Processed Cheese Food" and have to be called "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product" it just might be in smaller print.

Go ahead and eat it like that you fucking moron, you might get worms but at least you won't be a cuck

I do it all the time. Never gotten sick from it. Veeky Forums is always super alarmist about raw or rare ground meat but unless you have a really weak immune system you'll be fine. Sometimes I even snack on a little bit of raw meat as I'm forming patties or something, no problems.

>beef tartar
*tartare
Retard.

just one of those were me and i'm not jack.
people really should understand what the risks are before saying something is "dangerous"

ate a pretty rare burger while drunk once from a restaurant that fucked up cooking it obviously.

I had the shits, still alive

It can be. The whole point of the warnings is that if it's not well done, there's always some risk.
but fuck well done
You should be fine anyway, assuming your local supermarket isn't shit.

>oh look, a misspelling that isn't caught by a spell checker in a post on a fast food shitposting board
You're a fucking joke, m90.

from the supermarket yes, it's dangerous, commercial meateries just process sooo much meat that it's far more likely to be contaminated than stuff you or a restaurant grinds themselves

Temp it at 160. If it's there then it's cooked and safe to eat. My grandmother ate raw hamburger meat all the time and died from diseases unrelated to that many many years later. anyway, that was back in the 70s so I'm sure now your chances of dying are even slimmer. Just don't eat raw meat for every meal every day and you'll be fine. But just buy a thermometer and temp it.

Only replying to this post because "lol, dumb amerifats" is, funnily enough, the only bait left that'll work on me anymore.

I eat raw meat, raw eggs, and occasionally, undercooked poultry myself, you dumb sumbitch. Never gotten sick from it once, ever. Also, I'm sure if I could find non-pasteurized cheese in my Costco, I would eat that shit up too. I come from a red state, boy. In the words of Colonel Sam Trautman, we eat shit that'd make "a billy-goat puke".

I like to call people a cuck for the bantz, but you unironically sound like a little slow-roasted Ham&Bitch faggot. You're a God damned baby-backed bitch. You boil yourself in an uncovered pot for 48 minutes until you simmer yourself down to a little bitch roux, and then you pour your little bitch roux all over your little bitch roast and ring yourself a little bitch dinner bell so other little bitch guests can come dine with your little bitch silver ware. Grow some God damn balls, you little bitch cronut. You don't eat sushi too, because you're afraid you're going to get little bitch worms?

Damn, you're a little bitch.

Unlike chicken and salmonella, where it is embedded in every part of the meat, the big fear with beef is e. Coli. That is from shit getting on the meat in the butchering process, meaning it's only on the outside. Rare steaks and stuff are fine because the heat on the outside kills that bacteria. When they grind it, that call gets mixed in and so its possible to get e. Coli poisoning from the bacteria in the middle of the burger or whatever.

When they do tartar, they get great quality beef and grind it themselves, reducing the chances of poisoning.

>I know some cuckholds who swap utensils when preparing raw meat on the grill will tell me it is dangerous.
I actually do believe that it can be dangerous, but rather than swapping utensils, I just stick them in the fire to sterilize it.

You could eat raw ground beef and probably still wouldn't get sick (well, raw meat might be tougher to digest). The risk would definitely be a lot higher though. Think of it as a sliding scale, the more you cook your meat the fewer bacteria left and the lower your odds of getting sick. All that said, ground beef from the supermarket is going to be pretty nasty so I'd recommend cooking it through.

Enjoy your raw pink slime.

it's not dangerous in the sense that the chance of becoming ill is still low. but that low chance is MANY times higher than otherwise.

the danger of ground meat is that it combines easily contaminated surface meat from many different pieces (so much greater chance of contamination) and puts some of it in the center where it won't be cooked unless cooked through. 99% of meat related issues is from surface contamination, which is why a quickly seared steak that's completely raw on the inside is still very safe.

if you want to eat ground meat rare what you should do is get a whole piece of meat, trim the surface, grind it, and cook it soon after. or you can ask the butcher to do the same thing, although then there is the chance of contamination from the grinder.

that burger is perfectly cooked