Does anyone here prefer Analysis to Algebra? I want to like algebra but I seem to suck at it

Does anyone here prefer Analysis to Algebra? I want to like algebra but I seem to suck at it.

Algebra is for cucks.

Algebra is the basis of all mathematics. Analysis is just a bunch of wacky bullshit.

The correct picture would be the Analysis-guy in the business chair and the Algebra-guy being a workless hobo with long hair and beard.

But Grothendieck was bald

No

He was balding when he frew the beard, it is logical to assume he was bald under the hood

Algebra. I hate inequalities. Everything in algebra makes sense.

I respect the wizards who can pull inequalities out of their ass and do analysis, though. It's useful stuff.

But algebra makes more sense to me. Maybe I'll adopt some wacko philosophical position to justify my distaste for analysis.

>not using inequalities to limit infinite sums

Yeah. I had such an easy time with analysis last semester. Now im having to review shit and actually try hard to understand some Algebra concepts. I think analysis is just more intuitive while people in algebra can just use algorithms to solve much of the stuff

They both suck.

logic is the basis of all mathematics

Analysis is probably easier for most people cause it's an extension of calculus, which is fresh in their minds, whereas (abstract) algebra kicks up the notch of abstraction several orders of magnitude.

Classical logic offers some rules mathematics has to follow, but the idea of building all of mathematics up from the language of first-order logic is ridiculous

Also the basis of logic itself is algebra

What is anaysis?

I tried looking it up, can someone give me a brainlet answer?

Analysis fucking sucks, I avoided it and everything related, taking abstract algebra and combinatorics..etc instead.

Graduate next semester. I don't deserve this degree.

it's a more rigorous version of calculus. but if you don't know what analysis is, you're probably not too familiar with the kind of algebra we're talking about either, IE abstract algebra. it's a lot more difficult and complex than the kind of algebra you do in high school

I was JUST like you. Then I learned topology (Munkres, self-study) and everything in analysis suddenly became crystal clear. I agree that analysis can be really fucking weird at first, but it gets super fun once it clicks. It really is worth the effort, I promise.

Analysis is easier.

Algebra is more fun.

Algebra is a fucking enigma. How will I ever intuit this shit

>Analysis

Let's analyse how these functions behave i.e. the theoretical foundations of calculus; measure theory...etc. Key words: limits, functions

>algebra

Here are these abstract mathematical concepts with these abstract properties. Let's see how they relate to each other and lets see if given a certain property we can infer some other property of this mathematical object. Key words: algebras, groups, categories

I've taken calc and linear algebra before.

What do you mean by "rigorous" calculus?

This is explained well by . In analysis you learn detailed definitions of concepts like limits and continuity, and prove theorems based on them.

Abstract algebra expands upon and generalizes concepts from high school algebra and linear algebra.