Why are we able to draw a connection between music and emotions...

Why are we able to draw a connection between music and emotions? Why and how can we recognize that certain melodies are happy, sad, romantic, scary, etc.?
We can't taste something and feel that it's a sad taste. We can't smell something and recognize it as a happy scent. So why do the right patterns of notes invoke emotions in us? It's also interesting to note that every person is capable of telling "correctly" if a sound is cheerful or sad. So it's fundamental matter.

How does that work?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=wbAdWebs4es
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>We can't smell something and recognize it as a happy scent.

Certainly seems to be a connection with scent but perhaps it is only related to memory?

i dont think its related to memory, i remember an experiment were they played diffrent melodies to bushniggers, and they asociated the same emotions as we

Almost every modern piece of music is written using a combination between tonal and modal scales. The "modes" were vastly used by the Greeks to represent different types of emotional states, and latter used in the middle ages; the Ionian mode, which has the same structure as the modern major scale, sounds "happy", while the Aeolian (same structure as the natural minor scale) sounds "sad". These are adapted to the modern intervalic system.

There's a publication by Kate Hevner called "Experimental Studies of the Elements of Expression in Music" which describes a relation between different types of musical parameters and emotional states. The relationship described by Hevner is used by many film composers to make a relation between the scene and musical resources.

archive(DOT)music(DOT)ntnu(DOT)edu(DOT)tw/chimeitp/brain/files/brain/brain-sub03.pdf

I now this doesn't answer your question, but it may help.

know*

thanks for the sourcing- exited to read this paper and maybe be able to grasp the concept how music can touch you or hit you hard sometimes.

Only autists speak in monotone. People learn to catch onto tone shifts in speech. Moving that to singing and later instruments is no surprise.
As for nowadays, you get to hear sad tunes all the time so unless you are clinically retarded there really shouldn't be great difficulty in identifying a "sad tune".

Explore the world of psychology.
You want to know, but you are afraid your STEM does not serve you anymore to look intelligent.
It's okay, we are used to that.
Go sit with the other normies and we will teach you all about what makes you react like you do.

I guess this is because music processing somewhat overlaps with language processing in the human brain, both being complex structures made of sounds and conveying semantics (less abstract and more primal/emotional in music than in articulate language).

> We can't smell something and recognize it as a happy scent.
Maybe not, but fart in the goddamn office elevator one fucking time.

ONE.
FUCKING.
TIME.
FUCK!

m.youtube.com/watch?v=wbAdWebs4es

>no cock?!...great!

Fuck off, psychology is a meme.

>Why are we able to draw a connection between music and emotions
social conditioning, maybe has a basis in our instincts, like certain sounds shifting your mind to a beneficial state. Like in the case of being stalked by a predator, but mostly social conditioning.

by this i mean society just made up shit that roughly corresponds with the audible representation of emotions (which again, largely come from social conditioning) which has been inherent by most of the world, especially now that everyone is basically western.

>social conditioning

Nope.

Music theory states that music is merely a product of notes that go well together to create and stimulate areas of the brain where familiar emotions can be felt. In other words, musicians design their compositions in accordance to music theory to get the emotional response correct.

And you consider that a happy scent!?

I think he means certain scents can bring us back to happy or sad points in our lives. Like the scent of an ex's clothing could bring back memories and invoke emotion.

ok, my comment was stupid, made the same mistake i do at my exams and didnt read the question carefully enough^_^

You can't, it's all about memory and external conditioning. You can tell that a modern song is sad because the singer cries about his ex-gf that got hit by a truck. Now you have probably associated sadness to minor chords. But I don't think there's anything inherent. Try to tell me if BWV 847 is sad or happy

Not him but you're retarded
Clearly he me what you can't recognize happy smells emotionally
Only farts