Rectangles that are super duper thin

>rectangles that are super duper thin
This was in a Math Ph.D.'s thesis

Other urls found in this thread:

breitbart.com/tech/2017/05/18/university-of-hawaii-professor-universities-should-stop-hiring-white-cis-men/
fields.utoronto.ca/video-archive/static/2016/11/1570-16202/mergedvideo.ogv
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Blackwell
blogs.ams.org/inclusionexclusion/2017/05/11/get-out-the-way/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>no idea
>o

>i
>d
>e
>a

mods are fucking dicks man

I know I saw this in the five other threads about the same thing

want to know why these faggots weren't posting this shit last year when it was actually news in math circles?

breitbart.com/tech/2017/05/18/university-of-hawaii-professor-universities-should-stop-hiring-white-cis-men/

because it's oppressed young white breitbots from t_d LARPing as mathematicians. they don't actually follow math, or read papers, let alone understand them. until breitbart focused them on the target, they had no idea it existed.

it's not that bad of a paper you faggots, it passed a defense at princeton of all places. yes it's written in a conversational style

she explains things in greater detail than necessary and targeted towards the "layperson" because the paper is doubling as a critique of papers that no one can understand, i.e. IUTT (google it piggots). IUTT is fucking useless, because according to Nature there are only 10 elite number theorists working on it and they claim they'll maybe understand 25% of it in 3 years, while the autist who wrote the paper basically refuses to explain it to anyone

lmao @princeton

Post one problem with the maths in that image or the paper OP. The style of writing doesn't count btw
this, except the last sentence.

what a great idea. Everyone should get their phd from Princeton by "writing their thesis for the layperson", i.e. taking 139 pages to explain what should take 12 pages. Don't worry, this won't open the floodgates of complete brainlets getting phds in math without doing real research.

I'm sure a lot of laypeople read her thesis and now understand math, too.

IUTeich is certainly far more important and monumental than this. It's telling that those elite number theorists are putting much effort to understand it. See Fesenko and Dimitrov's writings on it.

reminder that american education is so shitty that all you need to get into a top-5 math department and have a fields medalist as your supervisor is black or brown skin color

yes if the IUTT was written for common people im sure than then it would be widely understood

t. grade-inflated harvard grad

>implying i said any of that
take your "cause" back to t_d and the breitbart comments section please

oh don't get me wrong i wasn't implying they were on the same level of importance. just that the critique is certainly valid

>implying that common people are the only ones who don't understand it
breitbot detected. go find another cause to fight for piggot

>she explains things in greater detail than necessary and targeted towards the "layperson" because the paper is doubling as a critique of papers that no one can understand

that's what you actually said, as if it was a good thing.

Maybe the reason she can't understand a lot of papers is because she has no particular talent in math. That would also explain her motivation for turning a 12 page paper into a 139 page thesis by writing it for brainlets.

Writing a real thesis is hard, so instead she decided to make her thesis a "critique of math" or whatever retarded justification she's using to not write a real thesis. Because she fucking sucks at math.

>piggot
oh it's just this autist again. nothing to see here folks

"Piggot" is a portmanteau of "pig" and "faggot". It means "pig-faggot".

>I
>G
>U
>E
>S
>S

>a breitbart article coincides with an influx of shitposts on the same topic
>he can't see the connection
You are one stupid fucking pigger, you know that?

OK tell all those guys who can't grok IUTT they have no talent.

She can't even grok the basics of what is expected of mathematicians, let alone cutting edge mathematical research.

There's a difference between IUTT and Piper's thesis. The mathematical content of Piper's thesis, while probably impossible for laypeople to really understand, was very possible for experts in her field to understand.

When Piper whines about difficulty, she's whining about the normal everyday difficulty that average mathematicians face. She's not complaining about some cutting edge shit that only one or two people in the world understand.

Her thesis was cut down to 12 pages and published in a decent journal. Obviously the referees understood it just fine, and didn't need the bloated 139 page version.

>"Piggot" is a portmanteau of "pig" and "faggot". It means "pig-faggot"
>explaining your insults

Part of the piggot meme is explaining what it means every time.

Thank you.

>She can't even grok the basics of what is expected of mathematicians
You think this is the case because she keeps writing things like "I totally didn't understand any of that" and you're not neurotypical enough to recognize obvious irony.

>implying it's the biggest problem
This whole image is a pain to read.

Not the guy you replied to, but there's plenty reason to doubt her math ability. Take for example the fact that she has published 1 paper ever, and that was the 12 page paper that came out of her 139 page thesis.

Or you could read her blog posts about how she doesn't talk to other mathematicians about math because white males always make her doubt her knowledge and talent.

The fact is, she's no good at math. And she blames white males.

>She has published 1 paper
>She doesn't talk to other mathematicians about math
>The fact is, she's no good at math.
this simpleminded conception of what it means to "be good at math" is simply ridiculous and could only be held by an obvious larper

you are a disgusting and retarded piggot

if she was good at math she would be doing math instead of whining and bitching and trying to come up with excuses not to do math.

Who wants to watch her presentation and give opinions on that?

fields.utoronto.ca/video-archive/static/2016/11/1570-16202/mergedvideo.ogv

>larpers trying so hard to fit in but still using phrases like "good at math" and "doing math"

I'd rather not have the quality of mathematical research debased by mediocre postmodernists, thank you very much. It's bad enough that she spends enormous effort simply regurgitating freshmen-level mathematics with absolutely zero novel contributions to our old conceptions of them. Even worse, the more advanced mathematics the woman encounters, the less able she's able to give even a passing "conversational" recap of its importance. Spivak is conversational. This woman is just retarded.

no self-respecting mathematician would defend her or her actions. of course if you are a brainlet that studies in an state uni you would feel obliged to take her side given that both of you are idiots that believe they know math

moreover, no self-respecting academic person would tolerate both the quality and the language used in her PhD thesis. the fact that her supervisor thought this is OK speaks volume about PC culture in US academic institutions

>be black female "mathematician"
>be really annoying, publish 1 paper ever
>it's a 12 page paper but I bloat it with an additional 127 pages of annoying ramblings unrelated to the topic
>try to talk to other mathematicians
>clearly don't understand what they're saying
>they try to explain it to me
>tell them they're oppressing me by making it seem like they need to explain it to me
>never talk to mathematicians again

>this was in a nigger's thesis
ftfy; makes it easier to comprehend

I've just finished watching the whole thing. It feels like she's just copying what's on her notes without actually understanding any of it.

I know if you're not very experienced at giving presentations it can be difficult to think on the spot but the entire thing felt very meh. She clearly states she doesn't actually want to be there or do math.

She responds to any questions at the end with giggles and "I don't know"

PhD is nothing by itself. Everyone can get PhD

nope that's completely wrong. only those who are capable should have the chance to do a PhD, even more so at prestigious institutions such as Princeton.

>fields.utoronto.ca/video-archive/static/2016/11/1570-16202/mergedvideo.ogv

ugh the first thing out of her mouth is excuses about how jetlagged she was

then goes on for 4 minutes about how nice her adviser is, and how her thesis was intended as meaning that she was quitting math forever

She only got the ability to write such a shitty thesis because shes black and shes a woman. Everyone else wouldnt be allowed to pull this shit because they are held to a higher standard. But whatever, just treat black people who can add 2 and 2 as geniuses, its not condescending at all

I usually prefer it when scientific papers express simple ideas in simple words.

This is completely unacceptable though.

I'm not a number theorist, but she seems at least mathematically literate. She bullshits a lot and goes really slow, but she managed to fill up an hour.

I've known cases where an advisor writes a paper and lists their student as a coauthor, and the student doesn't even understand the paper and couldn't give a talk about it.

At least she went to the trouble of learning what her thesis was about. She's still basically a fraud though.

but, shes black?

Yeah unfortunately YOU'RE A MATH PHD NOT A FUCKING HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER YOU BRAINLET SCUM

Western academia is a joke

woooow the last few minutes when people ask questions.

She's completely unable to hold a conversation with them at all. She can't even address any of their questions.

It's actually amazing that people keep asking questions after her failure to address any previous ones. It seems like they're just fucking with her because they know she's a fraud.

>Western academia is a joke

It's getting that way for sure. Professors are getting to to be more similar to entertainers than to researchers in a lot of ways.

What's wrong with american math lectures? They just doodle on the blackboard without any properly stated definitions or theorems - did they never learned from Bourbaki overseas?
I also see this shit uploaded on youtube a lot - or maybe that's why they upload it in the first place, because it has absolutely no value.

>sketch the proof

This is worth 300k a year?

most talks I see are with slides. I think her decision to use the board was a ploy to eat up time by writing slowly

sloppy

So, someone with a humanities degree in French can waltz right into Ivy League graduate math with no background, just like that? And "study" under a fucking Fields medalist?

Imagine all the poor cucks who won olympiads, awards, did every EC, and still lost a place to someone like this. The myth that academic STEM was somehow different from the humanities with SJW bullshit is fucking dead.

A Princeton math PhD is a fucking cracker jack prize now.

this, how tf did she get in with an undergrad in romance languages?

Slides in a math lecture??

for a conference / seminar talk, yes. Unless you write lightening fast, you'll never get as much info on the board as you can put on the slides.

The fucking Brits and other Euros must be reveling in this. It would be a cold day in Hell when someone with a French degree and piss poor math skills could waltz into Cambridge or Oxford on the basis of feelz.

It's probably the same in the UK.

The whole SJW mentality was created by the anglo culture

A Princeton PhD can be had for high school tier math, cut and paste writing, and crappy overall presentation, with a single publication.

This whole situation is just delicious in it's curvature of what was once reality. Seriously, I'd buy that bitch a full spread at Popeye's Chicken for the entertainment that this STEM Gotterdammerung is about to provide.

Hang yourself.

Math PhD

wtf I thought math was hard, how do people like this get so far?

>thought math was hard
"was" is the keyword. Now everyone with enough SJW street cred gets a Princeton math PhD...even those with no real background in math.

no I mean like the writing, don't they have to write a little more formally?

Yeah, her writing is childish, abominable and totally informal for serious academic output. You would think someone with a humanities degree in French would be a better writer-that's what those degrees teach-but she couldn't even learn that much.

Math? Hahahahaha...

I didn't know you could become a math faculty with one publication with 4 citations

Eh, there is nothing really wrong with her writing. It's just cringe, desu. I write like this when I make notes to myself in my research journal. I can't really speak for her mathematical content so I won't comment on that, too lazy to read that shit and IDGAF, really.

I don't think they even read here thesis. I think that kind of thing is common now.

This is retarded and sad...

Truly the end times.

Don't forget that her husband cited her papers, so how many does that leave? Talk about nepotism and hand holding - this case sets the standard for WTF in STEM academics.

>And "study" under a fucking Fields medalist?
Is the fields medal also cucked by SJWs now?

>I write like this
>too lazy to read
>IDGAF
0/3 gtfo

Its like high school math for retards...

there must be some context, that's so convoluted that only super geniuses can understand

i should have majored in math

would have been so easy to get a phd

so what is the original theorem and proof of this thesis

I'm trying to find some way to defend her so can I be the edgy contrarian I am, but this piece of fucking garbage of vomit trash should've never been accepted as a PhD thesis. Is this some sick joke? What a fucking disgrace from Princeton. This is an insult to Princeton, Universities, graduate students, undergraduate students, mathematics, and academia.

Why would someone be terse in there research journal, I don't say shit like funky sum or throw in random comics but I'm more talkative in it so I can follow my train of thought later on.

Find me someone who is willing to sift through her PHD thesis who isn't autistic or has nothing better to do.

How would you like to be her student, or even worse, her grad student? She gets the government funding and decides how it gets spent. She can make or break your career. She decides your fate.

>would have been so easy to get a phd
Are you white?

Unless you are a minority and VERY oppressed you have to work hard for a phd in maths.

You think Asians and Arabs have an easier time getting into PHD programs? It's imo harder for an Asian person to get into a good applied math program compared to a white guy.

Even better. How would like to be her white male graduate student.

I bet she has a bone to pick with the people who have been oppressing her.

>You think Asians and Arabs have an easier time getting into PHD programs?
Asians no Arabs yes.

Asians are also not """oppressed""", because they are constantly performing very well and are able to get into good jobs.

Maybe, in Europe, but that's not the case in America. Most Muslims in America come from prof backgrounds. Also, what would an Arab put for his race? Same thing for Indians and Persians.

I'm sure it's no problem since oppression is really only in peoples' minds. Just work hard and she can't deny you... right? Isn't that what you tell the blacks in your country?

can somebody explain to a brainlet who failed pre-calc what this means?

No. This is written by someone who has about as much knowledge about calculus as you do.
There is no actual "meaning" of information in there.

It's literally high school math about integration.

>So, someone with a humanities degree in French can waltz right into Ivy League graduate math with no background, just like that? And "study" under a fucking Fields medalist?
only if you're a black women, black women are the most oppressed group in America (outside of Muslims) at the moment so they get a big bonus in admissions to colleges

this

For instance, I'm pretty sure Iranians are over-represented in academia in America, since everyone with a brain gets the fuck out of Iran. All the Iranians I have met seemed like nice people, I don't get how they have such a shit government.

You fucks derailed a thread about a legit black mathematician with this hack.

Please keep telling me you are not racists, now...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Blackwell

All you people are shitting on her but as a bit of perspective, my undergrad was 100% white (northern Europe) and they all had trouble with number theory/group theory classes. I'm sure this black lady has more understanding than most of my white male classmates when it comes to these topics.

So even if she's not quite Ph.D in Math tier, (I wouldn't know because I'm not there yet) she's more capable than the average math undergrad for sure.

All those racist hacks shitting on her are probably dumber than her, themselves.

Mods kept deleting threads about piper

I'm a fucking cis white male assistant professor in math. in my opinion (after reading some of her thesis and seeing her talk at the fields institute) she's probably better than an average undergrad at an average American school. I don't think she's even as good as an average Princeton undergrad though.

It's really annoying and sad, but I would be less pissed off if only she was gracious about having been handed a phd and a job. But she's not. She bitches and whines about how she should have even more. It's disgusting that she has the platform she has

> racist hacks shitting on her are probably dumber than her, themselves.
criticizing the fact that a french major got into Princeton and became a math professor with only 1 paper and 4 citations is racist. kys

Yeah but that is not the case, clearly. Every fucking retard can have PhD

then show some some retards that got a PhD from a top-5 school and are not sassy token minority women

I've seen plenty of idiots get phds in math, but this happens at average American unis, not Princeton

>my undergrad
There is the difference. She is not an undergrad.

If you have a PHD you have to met certain requirements, not only requirements of knowledge (which is not easily tested through a written document) but also of character and professionalism which she clearly is not meeting.

Her writing is childish and inappropriate for the topic and from the text pieces posted I think it is safe to say that not much meaningful (or even new) is covered in her thesis.

Defending someone on the basis that
>I'm sure this black lady has more understanding than most of my white male classmates when it comes to these topics
is completely ridiculous. She is supposed to know SIGNIFICANTLY more then them.

I believe her thesis contained some original research. She actually published a 12 page paper with the same title, in a good journal. Presumably the 12 page paper was what they got when they removed all the retarded shit out of her thesis.

So in my opinion her thesis did have some content, it was just bloated with so much bullshit.

Isn't that the woman that wrote a post in the AMS blog saying that, if you are a cis white male you should resign from your position in the math department?
blogs.ams.org/inclusionexclusion/2017/05/11/get-out-the-way/

Yes that's her