Are carbs actually bad for you? Is the paleo diet a meme? Didn't cave people live to age 17?

Are carbs actually bad for you? Is the paleo diet a meme? Didn't cave people live to age 17?

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/ng/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ng.2939.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

at least they lived, most of us just exist

Starches turn into sugars in your mouth, which just compound with all the other refined and unrefined sugars in the standard Western diet, so I feel like there's some wisdom behind the Paleo diet. Moderation and diversity are the keys to a healthy diet and good decisions start with education

>Are carbs actually bad for you?
They are in excess over long periods. Specifically sugar abuse. That's how most people get fat, get heart disease, develop diabetes, etc.
>Is the paleo diet a meme?
Yes. It is keto minus the science.
>Didn't cave people live to age 17?
When you hear shit like the average age was 30 or whatever, it is heavily skewed by death at very early ages. People did live long lives.

Looks like Chef John

No
>Is the paleo diet a meme?
Yes
Paleolithic people ate carbs all the time, including grains, beans and tubers, so this isn't even the right question to ask since the diet of paleolithic humans is not a low-carb diet.

>That's how most people get fat, get heart disease, develop diabetes, etc.
This is incorrect, since these disease are very rare in people on high-carb diets and very common in people consuming a low-carb diet such as Westerners and North Americans.

>Specifically sugar abuse
Refined sugar has a more moderate glucose and insulin response than potatoes and some other whole food starches. Not that it matters anyway. Even Americans get more empty calories from oil and butter than from sugar.

>Starches turn into sugars in your mouth, which just compound with all the other refined and unrefined sugars in the standard Western diet
People with fewer salivary amylase copies are less efficient at turning starch into sugar and this is independently associated with a predisposition to obesity and diabetes
nature.com/ng/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ng.2939.html

Depends on your lifestyle, generally no just people don't realize how much they eat in terms of carbs on a daily basis.
> Is the paleo diet a meme?
It works for near instant weightloss but doing low carb and balanced diet is by far a better option
This was due to so many factors it's not worth talking about

>Are carbs bad
No
>Didn't cave people live to age 17
No, they had a high child mortality rate which brought down the average age, once you became an adult you lived for a long time.

They aren't necessarily bad for you, however they do not provide much satiety compared to protein and fat. So if you are trying to lose weight, eating too many carbs will cause you to be hungry and make you more likely to overeat.

This is also wrong, as fat has the lowest satiety out of all macronutrients by far, with saturated fat being particularly unsatiating. Refined sugar is also more satiating than oil, both in isolation and when added to food. Beans and lentils as sources of protein are more satiating than lean meats, despite more calories coming from carbohydrates than protein. Westerners have a low intake of carbohydrate and a high intake of fat, so they're not actually in a position to judge whether carbs are satiating because they never eat any.

>Westerners have a low intake of carbs
Nigga, you crazy. Have you seen how much pasta people Americans eat? Shit, half the calories in a McDonald's burger are in the bun. Americans eat a ton of refined carbs.

No.

>Nigga, you crazy. Have you seen how much pasta people Americans eat? Shit, half the calories in a McDonald's burger are in the bun. Americans eat a ton of refined carbs.
I like how you live in a fantasy world with absolutely no regard for facts or data. You just make shit up as you go, it's absolutely fantastic.

I also like how you think that "half the calories" coming from bread is somehow a lot, when that is actually the perfect example of a meal that is far too low in carbohydrates. Most of humanity consumes around 65-75% calories from carbohydrates which translates to 80% calories from things like rice, bread, potatoes and lentils, and none of these people are obese and diseased like Americans. It's only fat diabetic Americans who think that 50% constitutes a lot, and a significant proportion of the fattest Americans hover more around 40%, stuffing their faces with nothing but cheese, eggs and bacon every day.

And never mind also that the bun actually provides less than half of the calories.

you dumb dumb

No, anyone saying they are bad is fucking retarded.
What is bad is sugar (simple carb) abuse.

>no regard for facts or data
That's rich coming from you given you offered nothing of the sort for your assertions.

Not every meal needs to be grains. Grilled chicken breast+steamed veggies is going to be mostly protein calories but is still perfectly healthy. You can get to 2000 calories in a lot of ways, and eating bread and potatoes to get there ain't all that much better than doing it with proteins or fats. Shit, the fattest people I know are fat because they gorge on soda and sweets, which are pure carbs.

>pure carbs
>All carbs are equal

Don't remember saying that, friendo. Just combatting the assertion that fats are always bad and your diet should be all carbs.

Stopped eating rice and bread this week for weight watchers and I lost 3.6 pounds.

NON-MEME ANSWER, COMING THROUGH. NATIVE Veeky ForumsIZEN BTFO'ING THE FUCK OUT OF MEME ANSWERS HERE.

Carbs are not bad. You can eat carbs all you want and it won't be anymore carcinogenic or harmful to your body then, say, milk or cheese or whatever.

The MAIN reason why Veeky Forumsizens don't eat carbs is because they don't offer us shit beside empty calories. That's it. There's no protein content, they're calorie-intensive, and they take up space in our diets that one would rather replace with steak or chicken or shrimp or something. That's it. That's all there is to it. And then middle-aged moms saw their sons not eating carbs and decided carbs were suddenly fro-fro "dangerous" and began telling all their little book club friends about it, and now uneducated normies just regurgitate everything they hear about how carbs kill your soul because they're all DYEL plebians who don't research shit and just follow pointless directions.

You'll find studies and essays descrbing the horrors or carbohydrates, but I guarantee you, even just anecdotally speaking, you'll be completely fucking fine. The damage carbohydrates do to your body pales in comparison to the damage your poor lifestyle choices and bad hygiene have already done to your body a million times over than carbs could ever do.

Honestly, any sane, healthy person wouldn't even BOTHER to ask what danger carbs could do to them because healthy people know carbs are just...carbs. It's only fatties and malnutritioned 1337 gaemers that actually worry about this stuff, because now that their bodies are starting to fail them, they're looking around in panic at everything that can cast any sort of dietary shadow; carbs being the main one of them.

Why did you have to bring it up?

This is a reasonable answer, especially considering it's from an avowed Veeky Forums regular. Veeky Forums knows about as much about fitness as Veeky Forums knows about food, which is to say, not much

The reason carbs have become a boogyman is that our food production system has created a surplus of not just carbs, but specific foods that offer NOTHING BUT carbs. Vegetables have carbs, but nobody is overdosing on broccoli and spaghetti squash. We're overdosing on HFCS and bleached wheat flour, at the expense of foods that offer a better spectrum of nutrients. When people talk about "carbs", whether they know it or not, they're talking about certain foods, not carbs per se.

>Is the paleo diet a meme
it's worse, it's an endoctrination religion. When the body is starved enough the brain get back to infancy, ready for a complete reprograming

Cave people died young because there was zero understanding of medicine. A bad cut or an infection was basically a death sentence.

but carbs are not completely empty calories as your body does need some of them to survive
carbohydrates are the bodies main energy source without them you would be fatiguing your body

Calories ARE energy. You can get all the calories you need from proteins and the few grams of carbs that come with veggies. It's not like exercise-intensive gym rats just drop dead of exhaustion in the middle of a session because their bodies can't get no precious carbs or nothing. Carbs are, for all intents and purposes, kind of pointless to a healthy, well-reasoned, young-to-middle-aged male or female. Might be good idea for little kids and geriatrics to get some carbs though. Just for the hell of it, you know? And by "the hell of it", I mean irrelevant issues, like "I don't want my kids to grow up to be picky eaters" and shit like that.

No but a lot of carbohydrates in our diet contribute to less than optimal gut health. Generally speaking though they are necessary for optimal functioning, whether we are talking about glucose or dietary fiber or beta-glucans

>carbohydrates are the bodies main energy source without them you would be fatiguing your body
nah
cause of my acid reflux i have to go keto. and i've still have plenty of energy to shitpost

Dude I lost like 40 pounds in less than a month when I switched, it was a little scary how I was actually shrinking, so quickly in fact that my heart valves were used to pumping for my larger self, so I had all kinds of concerning sensations coming from my now eerily easy to feel heart. It did go away, but I thought my heart would stop at any moment and I'm only 27

Know how I know you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about?

all i know is i can eat food again.
heartburn is a bitch and carbs(even veggies) are the fire

>are carbs bad
Not if you're active. And if you're a sedentary skinnyfat numale, who cares about your shitty body?

>Is Paleo a meme
Kinda, the philosophy behind it is retarded. But the vast majority of people would be much better off doing Paleo than their current diet.

Paleo diet is based on solid science of eating the same as our paleolithic ancestors, which enables you to live as long as they did - on average they would reach the veritable age of 28 years.

>eating the same as our paleolithic ancestors

Which ones? Depending on which geographic region they roamed in some ate a diet of mostly starchy roots, fruits, vegetables and seeds. Others, like the Inuit ate almost exclusively raw meats. But what paleolithic man really ate was anything he could get his hands on that wasn't poisonous.

Reprogramming for what? Paleo seems like something scientologists would do

>Are carbs actually bad for you
Its worse to get calories from carbs than it is from fat and protein if thats what you mean
> Is the paleo diet a meme
Kind of. Very memey origins, but they have stumbled upon some ok stuff, though it has absolutely nothing to do with the logic they used to get there

>they lived
Covered in insects, at the near complete mercy of the elements, and with the threat of terrible, insurmountable suffering should they ever succumb to disease or injury. There's nothing stopping you from stripping naked and living in the wilderness, you know. Maybe that would make you grateful for existence.

I swear there are literal paid carb and sugar shills on this board

Damn...

>what is the difference between short-term and long-term satiety.
sorry bro, that orange isn't going to satisfy you for more than a hour if you're an adult male.

really boggled my noggin

really activates the almonds

No
Yes, their arguments are stupid and fundamentally flawed
Doesn't matter