Redpill me on frying pans ck. I don't know shit when it comes to this stuff, what should I look for when buying one...

Redpill me on frying pans ck. I don't know shit when it comes to this stuff, what should I look for when buying one? I'm looking for a general purpose pan (not cast iron). I had a pos ikea pan I bought for $30 but the surface material is starting to peel (no idea what its called).

You should have a nonstick pan that you use for eggs and fish and ONLY eggs and fish, adcraft or some other industrial kitchen store brand is fine. Webstaurant store if you live in some shit hole with no local restaurant supply shops

Your general purpose pan should not be nonstick, it should be fully 18/10 clad aluminum, something like all clad, or cuisinart mcp. That will last you forever, the nonstick should last you about 5-10 years depending on how much you use it, so obviously it doesn't make as much sense to spend a lot on these.

Why only fish and eggs? I cook all sorts of things in non-stick pans.

Only stainless steel is a true general purpose material - it can get searing hot like cast iron but can also be used for simmering acidic stuff for hours.But you have to know how to use it properly - heat it first until it is hot enough so that you can put half a tsp of water and it does that quicksilver thing instead of evaporating, then put in some oil and keep it just below the smoke point for a minute or three. Then let the pan cool down to the desired temperature. Now it is ready and even eggs won't stick to it.

Is nobody going to call this guy out for not calling it a saute pan?

Don't buy nonstick

The fluorine chemical will flake off and poison you before giving you cancer

You can season a stainless pan so that you don't have to add oil every time

bullshit. dont get regular nonstick.

get anodized aluminum nonstick pans. the nonstick doesn't wear off and you can use metal utensils in it. you should still have a stainless steel pan for some stuff

Actually i was thinking of making a thread about this. I want a pan as well thats non stick but not laced with cancer chemicals. I don't care what they say, that shit will leak eventually. In my area its in the water supply. Fucked over a ton of people. Any ideas? Stainless steel the only hope? Don't like aluminum, it leaches as well and can build up in your blood, not good for the brain.

PTFE boils at like 600 degrees. Do you cook at 600 degrees?

Sorry I meant 620F degrees.

>redpill
why do you fags insist on this

Culture infects idiots with words. I'm wincing my way through life these days. It's like dealing with crying babies. You just have to accept it.

>someone uses a word on the internet sometimes that I find silly, I must tell them how silly I think it is, for then and only then will they realize their faults and cease to use said silly word.

well done anons, and godspeed on your next mission.

you strike me as the type of faggot who has a Veeky Forums shirt

how do you correct fuck ups in society? Watch them quietly like a bitch?

get a cast iron, use it for everything

i only use my teflon pan for eggs pretty much

Get a stainless steel pan with an aluminium core. Like All-Clad 5-ply or Le Creuset 3-ply.

this, stop listening to every other asshole. stainless. and get a ceramic coated cast iron pot for making sauces.

why, because I think you're entirely full of shit?

woah calm down there alpha brain, there's no fuck up in society. it's just a word you might see on one single website on the entire internet once a day. you aren't fighting a resistance from your keyboard as much as you'd like to think.

compared to you. jesus, just go to bed.

I'm about to, actually. you however have more pressing things to worry about. the balls it must take to try and pull off what you're trying to pull off. my god. good luck, and as I said, godspeed Veeky Forums word police.

Also buy as large as will realistically be usable for your stove. Crowding a frying/saute pan defeats the purpose.
12-14 inches should be good for most stove tops.

I'm watching Real Time with Bill Maher, what exactly am I trying to pull off? You sound like a conspiratorial idiot. dude, stop getting upset at shit you don't understand.

Literally no evidence about that for humans. Literally zero

Literally

You should look for a heavy bottom. Buy a cheap nonstick for eggs and that's it.

Cast iron is good for certain applications but buy a good stainless steel fry pan. If you are cheap try sticking with cuisinart.

If you don't have a cast iron skillet then get one. It's not just a meme, I use mine all the time. It's great for everything and I hardly baby mine. Just give it some oil once in a while.

Afterwards, consider stainless steel for everything else, such as highly acidic foods and pastas. Personally I just use a sauce pan. My stainless steel skillet only gets used for some stir frying shit but honestly there's no real reason you would need a skillet over a sauce pan imo.

My final recommendation is to just have a nonstick skillet for eggs and a few other things. They are dirt cheap

I wouldn't go more than 12 inches of cooking surface unless you know damn well what you want to use it for.

STAINLESS FUCKING STEEL AND A NON STICK FOR ANYTHING ELSE THAT DOESN'T REQUIRE HIGH HEAT

DONE

FUCKING DONE

STOP READING THE THREAD I CLOSED IT

DONE

WE'RE DONE

D O N E
O
N
E

You can quick season it, but the chromium poisons the seasoning just like it poisons you. Why bother when you can just get a carbon steel pan with seasoning which is much less delicate?

- teflon pans : offgasses some low molecular weight polymer under normal (below smoke point) circumstances. Mostly harmless.

- stainless steel pans : adds chromium. Mostly harmless.

- seasoned carbon steel or meme iron : the repeated heating of the seasoning will produce more acrolein, so any of it which rubs off on your food is not going to be healthy. Mostly harmless.

- Enamelled pans : will add pretty much nothing. Entirely harmless, except for the fact that any cooking above boiling point produces cancerous chemicals.

>but the surface material is starting to peel (no idea what its called).

It's called a carcinogen.

Get a 6" and a 12" cast iron pan. Ignore the haters. Never allow a "non stick" pan in your house.

>cast iron

OP here, no thanks.

There are also Thermolon pans (Green Earth pans for instance). They are the only non stick pans made with an inorganic coating, actual ceramic unlike all the "ceramic" non stick pans.

Only problem is that they don't stay non stick for long. Teflon pans are non stick in depth, all other non stick pans are only non stick until a couple nm of the surface is worn away.

All my nonstick pans are scratched will I get cancer

I'm too lazy and depressed to use them properly.

Then don't complain about your Teflon poisoning

no, teflon is inert and won't do anything unless you heat it over 500F and inhale the fumes

you can eat tons of teflon chips and it will just pass through you intact

>had a pos ikea pan I bought for $30 but the surface material is starting to peel (no idea what its called).
The surface material is "teflon" coating, and if your pan gets to hot (ie burns or scorches in the bottom), or mistreated with extreme temps too fast (hitting it with cold water while hot, overheating in the oven), or if you scrape it with sharp metal (forks, or low quality metal spatula), it can flake and peel. A thicker bottom and higher quality brand and pan, helps the high heat issue somewhat, and should last longer. Overall though, with really good use, like nothing but a silicone spoonula and good care, they all have an end life of a couple of years, so you decide what is truly your budget.