Stacks, recent purchases and whatnot

stacks, recent purchases and whatnot

post 'em, r8 'em, h8 'em

these two beauties just came in, histories of herodotus & history of peloponnesian war by thucydides and city of god, on christian doctrine and confessions of augustine, both printed in '52 and surprinsingly in great condition, paid roughly U$ 3,50 each

I just got these in the other night.

How much did that cost you, $3000?

This picture is from Harry Potter, right?

How is that Arion edition of Moby dick?

I haven't read it yet. It has a great font size and there are quite a few illustrations.

Books beside my bed. A few of these I got for Christmas.

Nobody cares about your books anywhere near as much as you do.

bump

is the Guinness World Records good?

>all those drug books
absolutely degenerate

>Buying shitty editions of books
Why?

reading the third reich one atm

what an angel

>Dostojewski

>drugs
>guinness world records
>ripley's believe it or not

just awful

xmas and discounts day haul

bumpity

>spine's title is backwards
Pisses me the fuck off 2bh

Where do you guys buy secondhand editions of books, and how do you make sure the quality hasn't degraded? I'd love to own some older, not-shit editions of classic sci fi texts

rate my christmas haul Veeky Forums.

cuck

incoming edginess

>spends money on pol memes and shit video games

Truly the mark of a manchild

abebooks is good

nice- where can i find one like that

One of my too many stacks.

Got this whole set for 70 bucks on ebay. It's way faster to use the syntopicon to research than Google. Preliminary research of an idea, I mean.

Dubliners and The Count of Monte Cristo are new, others were just by the side of my desk, just starting to unpack after moving.

At least you're not middlebrow, which makes you better than most of Veeky Forums.

what are Library Of America additions like?

gf got me these for xmas. feelsgoodman

Edition on that Dante?

barnes & noble

Im not sure what kind of answer you're looking for but they're high quality. I usually just buy used books so I can write in them but I'd feel bad doing it to this one. I mainly bought it just because it came with the screenplay to Lolita. It was expensive (40 I think) but it comes with three novels, a screenplay, and a fairly extensive chronology of Nabokovs life and notes on the texts. If you prize the aesthetic of your shelf I'd recommend.

Findest du Anaconda echt lesbar?
Ich weiß es ist sehr oberflächlich, aber ich empfinde bei Anaconda Titeln fast nie Lesevergnügen im Vergleich mit gleichen Titeln von anderen Verlagen.

wow great pic user

Brothers Karamazov and Anna Karenina are the Garnett translations

Paid $13 for everything

>Zeno's Conscience
>St. Petersburg
>Hard News
Also bought Silence for a friend.

How did you get those for so cheap?

The stack was all bought from thrift stores. At one the paperbacks are $1 each, and at another the paperbacks were $2 and hardbacks $3 but buy 4 get 1 free.

Anna Karenina was definitely my best find. It's an Easton Press collector's edition bound in genuine leather. eBay price is $35+.

Nicht der Originale Pfostierer, aber ich habe beispielsweise die großen Anaconda-Sammelausgaben zu Kafka,, Tolstoi, Nietzsche, Freud, Poe, Dostojewski und Wilde bei mir rumfahren und kam mit denen gut klar. Klar gibt es schönere Aufmachungen und Drucke mit besserer Qualität, aber der Preis ist, neben Raubkopien schwer zu schlagen.

I lucked out at the flea market once and got a modern library edition of Joyce's Ulysses for 2$. I lookednon ebay and it goes for 40$

Recent purchase stack 2/2

Paid $55 at Half Price Books. Books are expensive there, but they are in better shape, better organized, and have a much larger stock. All I bought are very good to brand new condition.

I have the set of hardback homer you have there. Very nice editions

>on the road
you have made a mistake, my friend, the beat movement has no discernible talent.

It's like the quality of your books goes up the higher on the pile they are. Good organizing system

tell that to charlie plymell

On the Road and Hiero the Tyrant I wasn't sure if I wanted to read, but they were on clearance so I picked them up. Probably won't get to either for at least a year as every other book I picked up I want to read before even considering them.

Thanks. They had like 8 paperbacks of the Fagles Odyssey and one Fagles Iliad paperback which I picked up. Prices were the same, so I figured might as well get a hardback of the one. Wish they'd had a hardback of the Iliad because now my set is mismatched.

abebooks is amazing. i work at a bookstore and sometime its cheaper to get new books from another store than to buy from distributor with discount applied.

boolean searches, a save for later function, and suggested reads?

fucking awesome.

theyre important to development of american history and literature though. think of them as a stepping stone.

nice thumbnail

hey baby why don't you bring those two books over to my place

I've finished confessions since taking this picture

The Neuromancer one right? It pisses me off slightly too but I like those cloth bounds from penguin. And in Portugal almost all the books have the title like that

One day u will sell them bavk for 2 bux

Beatiful

found mason and dixon for $5 at a thrift store yesterday. probably won't read it anytime soon since i have so much else queued but still pretty satisfied

"To Kill a God" ebook by Stevian Heartbound.

Fascinating story, don't regret at all, 7/10