Poems, everybody!

Alright, what is your favorite poem, Veeky Forums?

youtube.com/watch?v=TH6okIt97M4

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xr6AYzqFK9E
youtube.com/watch?v=CqvhMeZ2PlY
blog.xfree.hu/myblog.tvn?n=ircsike36&pid=34153
m.youtube.com/watch?v=W-vdPkESLZs
msgr.ca/msgr-7/ash_wednesday_t_s_eliot.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=Sc9Ww3rmT7I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Seafarer
youtu.be/xr6AYzqFK9E

Prufrock's great. I also really like Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

(yes I know this is a /pol/ thread, but we can re-purpose it)

Kinda depressing to share a poem and realize it's in a shit thread.

>translations

It wasn't a /pol/ thread. I truly enjoy that poem. It never fails to make me snicker with it's ludicrous ending. I forgot Veeky Forums can be a bit more sensitive than most boards.

Alone with Everybody by Charles Bukowski

stop trying
to trick me
faggot

Gubbinal by Wallace Stevens

Celuloidni Pajac by Janez Menart

Vse je zaigrano,Jester
vse je šlo k hudiču.
kar mi da življenje,
je kot ničla k niču.

Sem samo pajacek,
ki ga stre mezinec.
Žal, da tak pajacek
nosi v nogah svinec.

Če spustiš pajacka,
ko stoji na glavi,
se spet sam od sebe
na nogé postavi.

V tem je vsa nesreča,
vsa obstojnost niču,
sicer vse odšlo bi
prav zares k hudiču.

It's not a trick, luv. It's a hilarious poem.
Literature is not required to be 'touching' to be enjoyed. I enjoy the clever build-up of the poem, and the punch-line at the end.
Does everyone just think I'm a /pol/tard for having a laugh at the poem? I'm not even racist. The fuck.

Assuming you're genuinely surprised. You posted during a /pol/ raid, so left-wing Veeky Forums is already a bit triggered. Have a reading of the Wasteland

youtube.com/watch?v=CqvhMeZ2PlY

I think it's a great poem, user. Wish there were more people like you. The build up is indeed genius. The nigger part at the end is just so unexpected, I chuckle every time I hear it.

>haha he said a funny, provocative word only racists would ever allow be endorsed

Why are you even here?

THE WRATH OF THE AWAKENED SAXON
by Rudyard Kipling

It was not part of their blood,
It came to them very late,
With long arrears to make good,
When the Saxon began to hate.

They were not easily moved,
They were icy -- willing to wait
Till every count should be proved,
Ere the Saxon began to hate.

Their voices were even and low.
Their eyes were level and straight.
There was neither sign nor show

It was not preached to the crowd.
It was not taught by the state.
No man spoke it aloud

It was not suddently bred.
It will not swiftly abate.
Through the chilled years ahead,
When Time shall count from the date
That the Saxon began to hate.

Rudyard has lots of goodies.

The Stranger within my gate,
He may be true or kind,
But he does not talk my talk--
I cannot feel his mind.
I see the face and the eyes and the mouth,
But not the soul behind.

The men of my own stock,
They may do ill or well,
But they tell the lies I am wanted to,
They are used to the lies I tell;
And we do not need interpreters
When we go to buy or sell.

The Stranger within my gates,
He may be evil or good,
But I cannot tell what powers control--
What reasons sway his mood;
Nor when the Gods of his far-off land
Shall repossess his blood.

The men of my own stock,
Bitter bad they may be,
But, at least, they hear the things I hear,
And see the things I see;
And whatever I think of them and their likes
They think of the likes of me.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.

Everness By Borges

recently I read Goodbye and The Past by Emerson. like it desu
also She walks in Beauty, Byron

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
Take off your panties
and I'll stuff it in you!

Oh wow I really love that last stanza. That one is just great.

>blog.xfree.hu/myblog.tvn?n=ircsike36&pid=34153

My favorite poem is by Sándor Márai, probably.
It's called Sértődött vers:
I hope you don't mind that it's in Hungarian. I hope someone here does speak this beautiful language.

But if you ask me for my favorite English poem, then it's maybe Poe's Annabel Lee, or Kipling's If.

you know, I have a huge collection of his stuff and I'm now more inclined to read it.

I guess, you are not a big fan of free speech, are you? Some people enjoy the absurdity of these slurs, like I for example. I have no bad feelings whatsoever that H.P. Lovecraft used to be a racist. What he wrote was brilliant and when he expressed his dislike for other races, he did it at least in a creative manor. I think it is hilarious. People should try to understand a racist's mind. Reading their poetry will make you understand a bit and will make you stronger when it comes to arguments over this topic.

He was literally autistic, which just goes to show how you have to be mentally retarded in order to be at least moderately racist

I am genuinely surprised. I was just reminded of the poem, and was curious if anyone else has a poem dear to them like this is to me. It never fails to make me laugh. Thank you for posting Wasteland. I'll have a listen later. I didn't think I'd have to protect my thread. I was expecting to go back to work, and come back in a few hours.
You do have to appreciate the unexpectedness. It describes a demon, a monster, a horrible thing that haunts Lovecraft's nightmares, like his other horrifying stories. The moment he says nigger, the whole build-up falls apart, and you realize it's just Lovecraft being a racist cunt. It's hilarious, if you ask me.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=W-vdPkESLZs

Tom waits reading it makes it even better

what did Kipling mean by this? I know a lot of vanguard-type folks like to post this, but I'm pretty sure Rudyard wasn't trying to be all 'fuck da blacks'

The More Loving One, WH Auden

Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
That for all they care, I can go to hell.
But on earth indifference is the least
We have to dread from man or beast.

How should we like it were stars to burn
With a passion for us we could not return?
If equal affection cannot be,
Let the more loving one be me.

Admirer as I think I am
Of stars that do not give a damn,
I cannot, now I see them, say
I missed one terribly all day.

Were all stars to disappear and die
I could learn to look at an empty sky
And feel it's total dark sublime.
Though this might take me a little time.

ash wednesday is my favourite by far
msgr.ca/msgr-7/ash_wednesday_t_s_eliot.htm

>Lady of silences
>Calm and distressed
>Torn and most whole
>Rose of memory
>Rose of forgetfulness
>Exhausted and life-giving
>Worried reposeful
>The single Rose
>Is now the Garden
>Where all loves end
>Terminate torment
>Of love unsatisfied
>The greater torment
>Of love satisfied
>End of the endless
>Journey to no end
>Conclusion of all that
>Is inconclusible
>Speech without word and
>Word of no speech
>Grace to the Mother
>For the Garden
>Where all love ends.

It's not really about blacks at all. Stormfags just think Kipling was writing about dark-skinned people because a reading like that appeals to them. In reality it's more of Kipling's commentary on how the English people were the most pacifistic of Europeans, such as their lack of any conscription at a time when every other European power had that as law. It's commenting on how in light of increasing great power tensions Britons will have to get over their 'Splendid Isolation' and be prepared to fight for their country. Kipling was a major activist for introducing conscription to Briton at the start of WWI, a time when it was very controversial.

>i truly enjoy that poem
if your favorite poem is a cheap laugh, then you need to read more
Prufrock is a safe choice, but a damn good safe choice

My favorite (beside Prufrock probs) is WCW's Pink Locust

>I cannot, now I see them, say
>I missed one terribly all day.
what did he mean by this?

racism isn't a sickness... It's a logical fallacy. It's having bad ideologies.

What the Thunder Said is probs my favorite

He meant that white people are not naturally inclined to hate. Not inclined to violence, not inclined to mistreat other people. "It was not part of their blood." They would not make false rash action without due proof "till every count should be proved."

"Their voices were even and low. their eyes were level and straight." Have you ever seen someone with murderous intent? People who mean business don't yell and scream and shout. People who are about to rip you limb from limb look at you like a piece of hamburger.

"It was not preached / taught" These realizations come in spite of yellow media, they dont need to be taught because white people are generally not antagonistic and will presume that others are well intentioned.

But if you manage to piss off the well meaning, kind, caring, hard-working benevolent white people who drive society, you will literally count time from the date when white people fucked your shit up, because the blast crater will be so tremendous that it will affect Earth's gravity.

This compost by Whitman

Kipling is dogshit

pure ideology

You're dogshit. Everyone knows Kipling's name, who knows yours?

I think there's nothing wrong with having a cheap laugh. I do believe you're missing the point. You have to view this poem from our perspective. The man lived around the 1900. It is just nice to look back at our ancestors and see how much we've advanced with acceptance of skin color, but entirely destroy free speech. I think in that regard it's an important piece.
It is also why they removed Lovecraft's bust as an award for fantasy writing.

>You're dogshit. Everyone knows John Green's name, who knows yours?

youtube.com/watch?v=Sc9Ww3rmT7I

fucking retarded... killing free speech in such an awful way

magical

Gott strafe England

That's a valid argument there. I agree with him now!
Next time when I'll go to a reader's gathering I'll use the same argument. I'll win every time.

What about this one then?I mean, it's right there

The objects of our love are greater if we know less about them

When Kipling talks about the 'Saxon' he means the Englishman. When he talks about the 'Stranger' he could mean anything from a Malay to a Greek. Kipling probably was something of a racist by modern standards (see White Man's Burden) but he also highly respected their traditions and cultures (see Jungle Book or Gunga Din). He was above all a Patriotic Englishman and you can find him in WWI talking about the German menace. People who want to use him as a sort of pan-white crusader against the dusky-coloured heathen have no idea what they are talking about.

Warum?

This shit right here, op

The Jungle book was pro-imperialism and polemical against the 'savage', White Man's Burden was an injunction for the Americans to 'civilize' the philippines, Kipling was close friends and greatly admired Cecil Rhodes. I mean, there's a temporal relativism as to what is considered 'racist,' but really, it's quite obvious what Kipling's stance on the noble savage was

I don't disagree at all that Kipling was an imperialist or that he supported its 'civilizing' project. But it's wrong to think he regarded all foreign cultures as savages. See Kim, which involves an orphaned British boy joining with a Buddhist monk seeking after wisdom and even has some attacks on naive British administrators who don't understand India at all. The Jungle Book may glorify the British Empire, but it also highly draws on Indian motifs and culture (also, what part is polemical against the savage?)

I'm not saying Kipling wasn't racist or imperialist, I'm saying that the proper context of Wrath of the Awakened Saxon is directed mostly towards other European countries and The Stranger could refer to an Italian just as much as an Ethiopian.

Well, I always thought Mawgli's story was about the problems of conforming to certain groups.
>humans
>animals
>fuck everything, I'm the boss
>my friends are their own people
Sure, the whole "war animal" story is full imperialism, but the even the other stories didn't come off as strong in the Jungle Books.

Nice argument there. You really showed the bad racists who's boss, huh? Have an upvote.

Does one need to have read Dante or Anglican Liturgy to appreciate this poem?

Experience with (High Church) Christian liturgy
helps a lot.

I mean, not really. The Dante comparison is overblown, mostly by scholars who knew that Dante was a very important poet for Eliot and that he had published several essays on him and referenced Dante in other poems as well. So yeah, it would probably help you see the poem in a different light, but it's not essential to 'getting' it or appreciating what the poem is going for. I believe there is only one or two direct Dante quotes in the whole poem.

As far as liturgy goes, Eliot does allude quite a few times to passages repeated in the church proceedings of Ash Wednesday as well as quotes from the New Testament, but again, it's not necessary that you know exactly what passage everything comes from. I imagine that since you're a human being you have some idea of general Christian liturgy, where things like 'the Word', 'Let us rejoice', 'may that which is done be done', 'We are not worthy' are repeated. Eliot makes use of this motif a lot throughout the poem, but knowing exactly what passages of the Bible he is lightly referencing at various times in the poem is not necessary and you should be fine if you have a general idea of the type of phrasing used in Christian prayer

My name is Jafar
I come from afar
There's a bomb in my car
Allahu Akbar!

Casey at the Bat

Now the gate has been unlatched, headstones pushed aside; corpses shift and offer room, a fate you must abide!