Did Veeky Forums see this woman yet? I'm not smart and don't know much about math...

Did Veeky Forums see this woman yet? I'm not smart and don't know much about math, can any math people her tell me if shes talking out of her ass in her thesis?

theliberatedmathematician.com/cv/

Other urls found in this thread:

fields.utoronto.ca/video-archive/static/2016/11/1570-16202/mergedvideo.ogv
arxiv.org/abs/1309.2025
theliberatedmathematician.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/PiperThesisPostPrint.pdf
mathbabe.org/2015/12/11/piper-harron-discusses-her-artistic-and-wonderful-math-ph-d-thesis/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dear newfag, learn to use the catalog plzthx

i have really struggled with whether and how to respond to this. The execution of this message was very nice and respectful, and I genuinely appreciate that. The premise, however, is problematic. Maybe not inherently, but within the context of the sexist society we live in. Men are allowed, and often feel compelled, to think out loud at women, to share unsolicited not necessarily informed thoughts at women. (And usually these men, unlike you, don’t even seem to recognize that their thoughts may not be useful.) Women on the other hand aren’t allowed to be as open. So, if you want to not just be respectful, but actually be anti-oppression, it is better (IMO) not to respond to a woman’s work with the types of thoughts that other men pawn off as insights, if you know what i mean. again, i appreciate your honesty, but i feel obligated to point these things out.

have you looked at her thesis?

>let it go, let it GOOO
>let this copy pasta die!

thats....alot of effort....give ((her)) some credit!!!

kek, I figure this is pasta/bait but, men tear each other to shreads constantly, its in our nature. women want to be treated like men now but they cant handle it. some can, of course, but even then theyre bitter about it

kek

7/10 modest kekkle

lel

latex.

damn

Fuck. Your last racebait hasn't even hit page 3 yet.

What is this obsession you have about black people? Did you get blacked in prison or something?

fuck

Princeton would like to offer you a PhD

>unqualified french major minority person gets a math PhD position in an elite university with no qualifications whatsoever
>becomes a professor with 1 paper and 4 citations, at 1 least made by her husband
>obsession with black people
lol im not even from the US, just stating facts

I actually work in academia. In a Spanish language department that is actually much better than the one she attended. I have no clue why Princeton would let her join their Math Grad program, other than for PR reasons. I meet dozens of undergrad Spanish majors every year and the only logical reason any of them could get a Math PhD is if they were some sort of savant. If this were the case, it wouldn't take them 6 years to finish, and they would not end up being essentially a TA in Hawaii.

You know what I see plenty of? African American females that can play the system like they are Jimi Hendrix. They get their degrees by presenting themselves as a constant threat to the department, and we cave because the university would go apoplectic if we got hit with a racism case. I am willing to bet any amount of money this is what we are seeing here: someone who has adapted extremely well to the system we created.

I agree. She is shockingly brazen about it too, doing interviews about her thesis and making it so available online. She doesn't need to link her thesis on her website but she does. It's basically daring someone to say something

>let's allow black people to occupy positions in prestigious schools without having the proper qualifications
>this is totally not racist against other races, nations or poor working class whites

She is basically fighting the final monster of this game called academia: get tenure. Of course, she needs to go balls to the wall here, so just being a threat is not enough, hence the fucking moronic article she wrote.

Think about it. Do you think her department would let her go now? Not renew her contract? Hell, no. Piper Girl here has a very tight grip on their balls now. They might as well offer her tenure right away and get it over with.

1 publication = 1 tenured position. Game Over.

>academic
>integrity
apparently, choose 1

Well I don't think she has a tenure track job currently and let's all hope it stays that way

You misunderstood me. The tenured position is what she is after. Her article is a way to secure her position at her department. What are they going to do when her contract is up? Let her go? No fucking way, because she would go after them for being racist. They are basically stuck with her. And if she wants a tenure track position they are going to have to offer her one.

A fields medalist actually read this thesis and thought it was OK

is it racist to say someone looks dumb? as in they always have a dumb look on their face that makes them look stupid and that makes it hard to take them serious. based on that picture she looks like she has brain damage.

Reminds me of Silvanus Thompson and his Calculus Made Easy.

What was their ethnic background and political ideology?

Are talking about her advisor or someone who would should not feel embarrassed about the whole thing?

some smart people look like mouth-breathing mongs.

How can it be so ? Most of what she wrote is high school math.

Manjul Bhargava was her supervisor

This is hard to read. I'm currently doing my bachelor. I'm probably going to do a double major in math and comp sci, so I've already taken a number of math courses. My question while reading her prologue: What is this "oppressive atmosphere" she's talking about? Is it a black thing? A woman thing? Because there's been a good number of women and minorites in all of my math classes so far, and the atmosphere has been far from oppressive. Maybe it's just different here because I'm what they call a fucking leaf. The only issue I can see any of my profs having with her work is the excess of unscientific writing that has nothing to do with mathematics.

Exactly. And he should be embarrasses about allowing her the get her PhD. The fact that it happened should tell you there were other factors in play other than academic excellence.

Women

I just found out that she's giving a talk at my school tomorrow. Should I go listen to it?

reads like something by rupi kaur

Ask her to state her grievances with something approaching rigor.

Do you like wasting your time?

Holy fuck, you americans are so lucky.

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD GO. Bring a camera with you and just record it. Post it online, or if they are going to record it and post it themselves then ask them and share with us where they are going to upload it.

Also
>Now she has a story to tell. A story of failure and how sometimes failure is the same as leadership
>a story of failure
>failure is the same as leadership

KILL ME MY MAN.

I'm sure she does want one and she hasn't been offered one. I am gravely disappointed that she's made it this far but I'm cautiously optimistic that she won't make it any father. They might keep her in her "temporary"position indefinitely though

I would guess he never thought it was ok and just wanted it to be over

No video recording is allowed unfortunately. I suspect she knows exactly what would happen if such a video is posted online.

GOOOOO

just raise your hand and start going off on her whole career, starting from being admitted to Princeton with basically no math background

ITT : Mad hominems by brainlets who can't actually comprehend her paper and thus diss her writing style because that's the only part of it they understand :^)

Cucked piggot

wow, so alpha :^)

God damn it

We are laughing because she is disrespectful of the discipline and the style of writing which characterize it, and the inability of Princeton to do anything about it, thus letting their reputation go to ruin. Her justification for being disrespectful is literally muh white males.

fair enough, but the thread's question was about proofreading her thesis, which nobody in this thread actually did.

fields.utoronto.ca/video-archive/static/2016/11/1570-16202/mergedvideo.ogv

Such mathematical grace

Did I read all 139 pages? No, but I read a few. I skipped around to see if it was all written in that style. As far as I could see, it is.

And there's no reason to read all of it. I doubt anyone on earth read all of it. Why would you do that to yourself? It's clearly garbage.

Record the sound with your phone or something

I think it's a given the math is sound, since she co-authored a paper with another mathematician based on this research. The backlash is really about her total disregard for respecting the style and seriousness of a PhD thesis. And her only reason appears to be white males. That's all fine for a blog, but we didn't expect it to be in a PhD thesis. And from Princeton to accept it. What a joke.

I will try.

I'm sure the paper she coauthored with Bhargava is legit, as it was accepted to a good peer reviewed journal.

Her thesis is a bloated 139 version of that 12 page paper, and that isn't OK. Even if we let her slide on the "writing style", a thesis is supposed to contain more than 12 pages of real information. You aren't supposed to make it 10 times longer with your "writing style".

Also I'm not scouring through 139 pages trying to find the 12 pages worth of real content.

>mfw I expected an actual screenshot

Why? WHY? Why do they believe there's some nefarious filter set in place to keep women out of science? Is that the case in the US? There are a number of incentives to encourage women to get into trades and STEM fields here.
This reminds of two feminist women at my university. One is doing a BA in psych and gender studies, and the other was doing criminology, but then switched to gender studies (I guess because the subject became too difficult for her). Nobody has forced them to pick these majors; they've done so of their own free will. There are so many other things worth studying, but this is what they've chosen. The only thing holding them back is their lack of either ability or interest.

>Why? WHY? Why do they believe there's some nefarious filter set in place to keep women out of science?
Protip: they don't care. It's just anti-male. Logically, "not enough women in engineering" must mean "too many women in field X" but they never, ever say this. Why? Because they don't give a shit about this issue at all, they just want to destroy male spaces.

We actively encourage all underrepresented groups to go into STEM in the US. Apparently we do it the point where incompetent retards can get a PhD from Princeton. And they still whine.

Women aren't oppressed, they're simply insecure. Just read anything this math PhD writes, and you'll quickly see that what she describes as oppression by the math community is little more than her own insecurity when faced with her gross incompetence in mathematics. Feminism today, rather than empowering women, simply encourages these types of insecurities, making women act like a bunch of victims. The same can be said about any leftists rhetoric on race.

>M is a metaphor.
>Stretched out s for funky sum.
why is this allowed?

Yeah. What other reason could there be, really? I guess I just get a bit naive at times because I expect even them to explain their reasoning, but these ideologues have none.

>black person robs and kills
>call them a dindu nigger
>black person submits a math thesis
>call them a dindu nigger

WE/10

when it comes to research, she indeed dindu nuffin

I don't know how she got in the program to begin with, but my guess is her husband played a major role in her finishing her PhD. Her job at Hawaii stinks to high heaven of spousal hiring. But then, why the fucking articles and talking appearances? Why not just be happy with being a Temp? As long as hubby is in the department, her job is pretty secure. Because she wants more. Trust me, I know the type. The ones I encountered don't just want to pass the class, they want an A.

Do you have a PDF of the journal paper?

And if you already have a fields medal or are that established in your field, they will just accept your shit anywhere man

Kinda wanna see a whole math paper written like this.

she obviously has some mental problems to keep doing this to herself. Also you really have to wonder how happy their marriage can possibly be, even if he's the biggest cuck in the world.

Here's the arxiv version. arxiv.org/abs/1309.2025

Good news my friend. She wrote her whole thesis like this:
theliberatedmathematician.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/PiperThesisPostPrint.pdf

why is the guys name first? that implies he did the real work, unless the convention is different in math

yeah in math it's always alphabetical by last name. there's no "first author" etc

It is not uncommon for guys like this to be totally subservient to the first woman that actually paid any attention to them. If I were him, I would actually be worried that if she ever got a tenured position, he probably has outlived his usefulness.

People who defend her thesis: explain what exactly is graduate level about her work. I doubt any of you have even passed calculus in high school.

she is kinda right if you have no knowledge of a subject and you read it the whole thing is googble de goop and won't make sense and you will not enjoy it cos you don't understand it

Maybe, I can't imagine what it's like to be him. But obviously he doesn't actually listen to her bullshit, or else he would quit his job. Maybe she tells him she doesn't really mean it or whatever.

Actually if he's totally cucked maybe he consciously keeps his job merely as a way to support her because she's a woman of color. In all likelihood they couldn't support their family if he quit his job, even if she kept her current one.

record yourself asking her some easy, grad level math questions. post it on the internet. she's a disgrace to black and female mathematicians everywhere who did actual, good work in math

Then why is she doing a phd in maths?

That's why people who don't know math should read a basic math book and not a Princeton PhD thesis about cutting edge research that is the culmination of years and years of a very talented person's work.

Also, implying her thesis wasn't gobbledy gook anyways

This is what will happen if you let in outsiders, they will challenge the norms because it isn't their norms. Reminds me of 50's Britain where wearing anything other than a grey suit was taboo until black immigrants showed up and didn't give a fuck with their brightly coloured African prints. I don't see why this is a bad thing. The core of it was publishable so it wasn't bullshit. If letting in minorities leads to less stuffy academic writing then I'm all for it.

>hey guys i don't rly know maths but i have studied french and im a black woman, can you admit me in your top-5 math department?

Her thesis is just a version of a paper she and her supervisor wrote in 'layman's terms'.

>Real Life, Single Lady of Arts in Oppression
grew human in own body
>gave birth to new human with own body
>created milk with own body to sustain new human
>survived pregnancy, labor, and infant care related misogyny

This is so incredibly cringeworthy

Oooh, you better believe that she has an answer ready if someone asks her why her husband does not quit his job. Probably along the lines that hubby got liberated when she did. Sort of a transitive property of liberation. You don't shit where you eat.

That is why she is very careful to address her comments to academia in general. She is not going to alienate 75% of her department.

The core of it was 12 pages worth of real mathematical content. I don't care so much about the style, I care about the fact that she added over 100 pages of padding to lengthen her thesis and obscure the fact that it should have been 12 pages long.

Most theses in math are three-four papers that you just mash into one thesis. It's not one 12 page paper

She can say "muh style" all she wants but the fact is her thesis didn't contain nearly as much original research as any respectable math thesis should.

How many pages is the average thesis? I'm sure I've seen Veeky Forums gush over "geniuses" who proved some new theorem on one page so idk why Veeky Forums is now saying short is bad.

This is so fucking crazy. Look at her response to Joshua's questions (in the comments). She brushes them off as being oppressive! She doesn't even answer them like a real math PhD graduate would. Holy fuck, Princeton, you fucked up. Never in my life have I encountered a minority who doesn't deserve their degree. This is the first time I've seen someone who actually passed grad school from PC bullshit.

mathbabe.org/2015/12/11/piper-harron-discusses-her-artistic-and-wonderful-math-ph-d-thesis/

>The black woman is oppressing the white male

the number of pages is irrelevant. to compete a fucking PhD thesis you need to publish at least 3 papers. she barely wrote one

>mfw this bait took more effort to defend her than she put in to defend her own knowledge

My thesis was 90 pages. About 100 is common. There's no real length requirement but the general impression is that if it's super short it better be groundbreaking.

John Nash (beautiful mind guy) had a 26 page thesis, but he was John fucking Nash. He wasn't a bum who got into Princeton with no background in math, hated math, didn't want to talk about math, and never wrote another paper after his thesis. Nash's thesis was groundbreaking, shockingly short (which was allowed because of how good it was), and even if you want to compare the length, it was over twice as long as Piper's paper.

This

John Nash was a retarded white male. she is a black woman that faces daily oppression and microaggressions from dickheads like you. white boys literally enslaved and genocided whole races and act offended when a black person joins their nerd club

how dare you assume my gender and race, I am a 12th generation trans racial native american, that means I'm far more oppressed than you are for being invisible to society. Hope you enjoy your cis gendered vagina you cisbastard

Ok well maybe Veeky Forums has a point but all of you don't have to turn this into a race or gender thing. There are black female mathematicians out there who write non-weird theseses (thesii??)