Started reading Ulysses. So far I enjoy it but it's kinda weird. What's going on in there?

Started reading Ulysses. So far I enjoy it but it's kinda weird. What's going on in there?

What's going on here?

What are you even asking? What's your question? You don't even fucking tell us what chapter you're on.

No, no, I'm talking about the whole book. He writes about many so to seem not necessary things, so I'm kinda confused what does he actually want to say.

Lol

Nothing much

Prepare for Finnegans Wake

oh yeah...

is reading a young mans portrait important before reading ulysses? since there is the same character or something.

just do this

it'll take long time but it's worth it. And accept the fact that you might not understand everything you read

buy the notes faggot

not really but it helps inasmuch as you learn more about Stephen

ive been reading dubliners but its not so interesting, its ok, im not saying that its not, but its about a child so its kinda boring because of that.

>le_tricky_hook_maymay.jpg

what does he mean?

this is probably the greatest bait thread ive ever seen

That's awful chart. If there is anything that's a must for Ulysses it's Odysseus. A bit of general knowledge and Shakespeare helps also, but not as vital as Odysseus. Portrait is not needed, and Dubliners really are not needed.

The single most important helpers are Linati and Gilbert schemas. Short tables, written by Joyce himself for his friends. They clearly show the connections in Odysseus and chapters in Ulysses. They also show major themes and clues to the text used.

And then you have Ulyssess Annotated as single most comprehensive collection of various tidbits and important connections. I wouldn't get a thing from hospital scene without it. It is daunting, but just use it when interested in a thing or two, it opened a world to me that tend to miss stuff left and right.

On thing he is right though, is that you still won't understand everything. For example, nobody will ever know who is the man in machintosh.

you haven't actually read ulysses and it's painfully obvious. you might fool some other pseuds but thats about it.

Don't tell me you're hurt by me stating your little chart is dog shit...

>using ellipses like that.
It's not my chart, but it says "How do I into James Joyce" (misquoting). Not "How do I into Ulysses." The end point is Finnegan's Wake, and not Ulysses. I am not discrediting what you need to read Odysseus and a little bit of Shakespeare, but I wouldn't simply out Portrait and Dubliners for saying it's not related to Ulysses.

You uploaded it, so you hold value in it. And it contains bad advice. You really don't need to read his whole opus to get into one novel. Especially when the connections are vague and not vital to the plot.

you're both pseuds

everybody here is a pseud,

It's a joke, bloke.

u don't have to read the odyssey to enjoy ulysses

u don't need a reading guide

portrait is rly nice to have read before

ignore people who write paragraphs on how to read a book u should manage easily at 16

I only have so much time in my life to do things, why should i waste my time on this book? Not OP

Because it's fun.

Not even my chart

I thought Dubliners was unbearably boring, apparently The Dead is good but I never got near it.

Everything and nothing.

This hurts
Read Dubliners after reading Ovid's Metamorphoses and witness the best foil a book has ever had.

If this is your genuine view then you should probably read Ulysses at a later date after reading some less complex literature.

nah, I'll continue reading because I like it and it's interesting.

What this dude saidHow are there people this plebby on here