What book made you see the "Women can't write" meme for what it was?

What book made you see the "Women can't write" meme for what it was?

this

Not that I ever bought into that meme, but if anyone can read pic related and still believe a woman can't write then they're hopeless as a reader.

If women can write, how come they have absolutely no sense of humor? This applies to all three of the above writers, as well as Virginia Woolf.

This is not true of all female writers of course (I like Flannery O'Connor a bit, as well as Colette and Muriel Spark), but I think one of the reasons Veeky Forums-types come down so hard on them is that they were at the forefront of the hushed and deathly serious sort of prose you find in so many unreadable books today. Very style over substance, which is, dare I meme, symptomatic of the irreducible female principle. McCullers is like the Nirvana of literature: good enough on her own, but she spawned so many shitty imitators I wish she hadn't happened.

I don't enjoy too many women authors but Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen always comes to mind when this topic comes up.

The woman was a real badass, with compassion too.

I want a book that revels in women's modern blind privilege (specifically middle upper class) and ends with no remorse. Too many contemporary novels pander to a woman finding herself type ending, when the critical truth is many of us never find ourselves, or at least aren't comforted by what we do find. Where is this great book? Or should I be lead to believe in the precious feminine archetype of do no evil the publishing industry has unabashedly peddled to the world in hopes of riding the identity politics coattails?

notes from underground will tell you exactly what you to hear and is, ironically, a satire

>believing in memes

The hope only of empty men.

I've read it and aside from not being modern or written by a female or even have a female perspective, is nowhere near what I am looking for. It's the complete opposite. I want them to REVEL SHAMELESSLY with a critical eye. Notes is just a man projecting his insecurity. I need something closer to American psycho but more grounded.

Reading To the Lighthouse for the first time totally blew me away

Also I don't want to hear anything man. Im not looking for a fiction novel to reaffirm my world view. I want to read about this life. Call it a perverse voyeurism if you want, but definitely not a feedback loop of my own ideas. I'm convinced there's insight to this story that only a female could know, an angle that I am not seeing.

Jane Austen was very funny.

I was standing in the bookstore and held this in my hand. I had actually started heading towards the counter with it, but then I remember that it was written by a 23 yo woman. I know several women in their early 20's and I thought "what the fuck am I doing" and put it back.

I might read a female writer in a few years, but as of yet there are way too many essential white men.

>all people are terrible except for me because I'm a bitter, solipsistic asshole

Wtf??

read LM Montgomery

The difference is she was ugly. Psychologically ugly women are basically men.

Yeah, and sensitive asexual men are basically women. What is up with this board and its retarded gender concepts?

Sorry did i trigger you Darling? This place might not be for you.

>disguising reductionist stupidity as a question of political stance

try the redpill, cuck idiot

Dear god, Gilead was amazing.

Wait, I'm having trouble understanding your phrasing. Are you saying that "women can't write" is a meme and therefore a misconception, or that "meme" is undoubtedly accurate?

I assume he meant "the meme is undoubtedly accurate". Carson McCullers is fucking awful. Beyond awful. She is probably the worst author I've ever read. I posted

It could be argued yes. Don't be so binary jeez

The former, hombre.

I never mentioned politics, you aren't making any sense. I recommend Tumblr.

cursed child

That's not a fair example. It's like saying reading John Green proved to you that men couldn't write.

God, why can't /pol/ fucking leave already.

I assumed he meant that reading Cursed Child, written by a man, made him think that Rowling isn't so bad after all.

>for what it was

Self-evidently true?

This. The Waves was an eye opener, too.

atlas shrugged

and by seeing the meme for what it was i mean seeing the meme as a fact

When I was kid I would chuckle slightly while reading Harry Potter. So yeah, they can be funny sometimes.