Spaghetti alla carbonara con pancetta affumicata e parmigiano reggiano

soon...

Any advice from italians?
No, I won't use cream, only yolk.

Other urls found in this thread:

cucina.fidelityhouse.eu/primi-piatti/spaghetti-alla-carbonara-con-pancetta-affumicata-e-parmigiano-reggiano-193072.html
youtube.com/watch?v=XjHkybaxqKY
youtube.com/watch?v=oMjSVOOO_SM
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLH7TPFmZk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

if it's past noon just give up now, you have to start cooking the sauce in the morning for it to be
properly ready by dinner

Wut? it takes like a few minutes at the most

cringe

The tomatoes are just for the appetizer.
The sauce mainly consists of butter fried air dried bacon, parmesan, yolk, and olive oil.

bump

Yes
Italian here

First, a question: why do you go through the hassle of spelling "spaghetti alla [...]" if it's not "con guanciale e pecorino romano"?

So, if you're familiar with the real carbonara already, keep in mind that parmigiano is much more aged than (most) pecorino romano... do not try to make a cream with it adding hot water, it would clump and make a mess. Just stir it in the pasta once everything else is mixed, like you would with most pasta dishes.

Other than that, your pancetta looks very low on fat. If you have lard or bacon, fell free to use it together with that pancetta.

go on, faggot
plus, your pancetta looks more like coppa

>First, a question: why do you go through the hassle of spelling "spaghetti alla [...]" if it's not "con guanciale e pecorino romano"?
I used this a a template:
cucina.fidelityhouse.eu/primi-piatti/spaghetti-alla-carbonara-con-pancetta-affumicata-e-parmigiano-reggiano-193072.html
I wanted to try this variant with reggiano, i guess it could be more spicy.
I never tried a carbonara with, i guess, real pancetta (I bought it from an italian shop).
I have no lard at hand, I could try to add more butter?
And thanks so far.
It is my first (pancetta)time, I had nothing to compare... (I bought it spontaneously, the bacon smiled at me.)

Thoughts on garlic? I like it, but I'm not sure will fit.

>i don´t find garlic to add anything positive in carbonara. it is a dish that really shines through its simplicity

also i have found that adding the cheese and then the eggs works better than simply beating them together. like this guy does
youtube.com/watch?v=XjHkybaxqKY

Antonio Carluccio would beg to differ, faggot.

The other guys is right, it looks like coppa. I have no idea what taste it will have after cooking.
Pancetta is from pork belly, coppa is a different thing and it's supposed to be eaten like most other cutlery.
"Pancetta coppata" also exists, and it's basically coppa made with pork belly, kind of an inbetween and I know some people use it for carbonara aswell.
After all, pancetta is closer to bacon than coppa, so know that probably "bacon pancetta" is more conventional that what you're making.

Garlic in carbonara is not traditional... it will trigger purists, but it can be good. Definitely not needed.

I don't know about butter. It will surely bring your carbonara one step further from tradition, but whatever.

if garlic in carbonara is nontraditional, then surely coppa is. and especially pork belly.

also, didn't carbonara originate in america by italian immigrants? like, why does any of this matter? to me, carbonara is more of a technique than a recipe.

also, i realize i half-read your post. but my point stands.

fuck him and fuck you

Does look like it.

Can I use smoked pork cheek for this meal? Its all we had.

I like this chef!
Hmm... I guess I need to confront my "Italian" about the difference between pancetta and coppa.
I don't really know if there is the traditional carbonara and what's haram. Sure, using cream or cooking the yolk/white is extremely haram.
I heard (the internet told me) it somehow originated after WWII in italy?

a cursory glance at wikipedia tells me it was mid-century before the dish was recognized.

still though, it's not some precious, ancient, cultural culinary cornerstone. it's noodles with egg and pasta water and bacon.

maybe the salt from the cheese pulls moisture from the eggs prematurely. i haven't really thought about this before, but i'm intrigued now.

>if you did not chop up all the coppa you could also take take some inspiration from this approach
>take some round slice and fry it to use as a topping

youtube.com/watch?v=oMjSVOOO_SM

Plan B;
Olive oil for the pacetta/coppa, butter later.
Well, I'll add butter just before I add the yolk.

i have found to get a better texture that way, i don´t think it is about the moisture, there should not be enough time to affect that change

it is probably more that you emulsify the cheese with the pasta water which probably takes longer and a bit more heat than the eggs need, so the noodles are already coated and creamy and then the egg really just adds the last texture and flavor

>if you did not chop up all the coppa you could also take take some inspiration from this approach
>take some round slice and fry it to use as a topping
I'm always prepared for some Plan C...

one last inspirational video
if you ignore the hipster levels of this it is absolutely sexy:

youtube.com/watch?v=4eLH7TPFmZk

This is a really nice half coocked egg sauce trick.
Not bad.
But the fucking cringy egg separation...

did you salt and sugar the tomatoes first?
it intensifies the flavor and gets excess moisture out

No, I haven't tried this yet.
I don't really like it sweet, I will add the salt and also some balsamico later at the table.
The tomatoes aren't really waterous though.

Your tears of impotent rage are delicious.

done

topped with extra coppa/pancetta
plus tomatoes with mozzarella

(bacon needed more fat indeed)

my advice is to also add some pecorino romano and cracked black pepper

t. of Italian descent