Who rainy-day food here Veeky Forums?

Who rainy-day food here Veeky Forums?

Big ol rainstorm moving through the northeast today/tonight, and already very cloudy of course. This seemed like an appropriate meal.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast
inspiredtaste.net/25753/carrot-cake-recipe/
youtu.be/l9bAbAHV74w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So you eat shit when the weather doesn't fit your mood? Just curious.

Don't be dense. It's nice to have lasagna, mac n cheese, other comfort foods on a day of bad weather.

Funny you should mention that. I'm making a huge lasagna for the boys today and it's raining outside. But we gotta get this fence up, rain or shine!

Just going to buy lasagna right now for tomorrow. I can get a 1 kilo casserole for like 2.5 Euros.

the grease in that looks delicious

well done op. im north of the border and the rains coming in here too.. may hit up a French bistro with the girlfriend later

>comfort foods

it's terms like this that made the millennials into manchildren

Bruh that looks comfy AF. I love bad weather and eating comfy foods in the storm.

>trying this hard to be funny

Chicken soup, my friends. Chicken soup.

Gyoza is my go-to rainy day food.

I checked with my gf, and we both agree it's Beef Stew. However, she gave second place to Mac & Cheese with bacon.

We agreed that the beef stew would be cooked traditionally over 6 hours, but plated with pumpernickel toast strips for dipping. Although we could not agree on a garnish.

Does beef stew even warrant a fucking garnish?

what kind of pasta is that? is it pasta?

The weather in BK is garbage today, but last night my drunk ass actually thought ahead and mixed up some dough to make some bread. Gonna cook it in an hour or so, and am trying to decide what kind of soup to make. I have all the ingredients to make chili, but feeling kinda meh about it. Suggestions?

aye whattup BK
i've just been steaming veggies all day. what neighborhood are you in?

Not him but it looks like israeli pearl couscous. Hard to tell without knowing the size of the spoon though.

Windsor Terrace, you?

looks like pastina

Dumbo, jealous of your being so close to the park. Biked through it last night at midnight, it was great. That dough looks good

Living a block from the park is the best, not gonna lie. As a femanon, I tend to not go through the park past 11 or so, unless there's a concert going on. A few years ago there was a serial rapist in PS/WT, so it kinda soured me on last night excursions through the park.

The dough is pretty much doubled at this point — it's 2 cups all purpose flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 tsp yeast, a heaping 1 tsp salt, a few shakes of nutritional yeast, and 1 3/4 cup water. It's my first time making a traditional slow rise bread, so I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Jesus christ, that's horrifying.

Nice one, please post it when it's done, I love looking at bread! I'm going to trader joe's to get some ingredients for carrot cake. I think that's a good rainy day thing to do

What the fuck is nutritional yeast?

You should make chili. That's perfect grub for this kind of weather.

Will do! And carrot cake sounds like a good rainy day thing to cook.

It's a deactivated form of yeast (different from bread/brewer's yeast) that has a nutty, rich flavor.

Just sprinkle some chives on that shit. Everything looks good with chives

Yeah, fuck it, it's cool and rainy and I've got plenty of time. Chili it is.

acini di pepe

Update: time for the second rise. The dough is stickier than the times I've made "quick rise" bread, but hopefully it'll turn out well. It's resting while the dutch oven preheats. Post carrot cakes pics when you're making it — I've never made carrot cake before.

loooking handsome breeaad
still haven't gone to the store bc of the rain. but i think i just have to make myself go, i don't think it's going to stop

hi mr. ramsey, big fan ;)

If that dish looks good to you, that's fine, but I'm a trashy tex-mex slathered in cheese asshole and to me that looks fucking gross.

Either way if you enjoyed it, good for you OP

It's definitely gonna gonna stop raining any time soon, unfortunately.

what the fuck does this term even mean?
is it something you know is shit but you still eat compulsively because you're a depressed, pathetic fuck?

Imagine being this angry about a common term for food that you indulge in because makes you feel happy.

dude, why did you cook the clams with the shells still in there? seems like an inefficient way of utilizing the cheese imo. Now you're going to waste twice as much time scraping the cheese sauce off of the shells.

Do advise.

all good food makes me feel happy, I don't need to eat a casserole or mac'n'cheese to feel happiness
is it something like a guilty pleasure then?

it looks like shit, but i like gordon memesey anyways

stuffed PASTA shells you doofus

Don't worry about it. They're jealous Veeky Forumsfucks whose idea of food is steamed tasteless chicken breast, a couple of green veg, a steamed starch with no seasoning and a steroid smoothy for dessert.

Comfort food for me is always roast whole chicken with oyster bread dressing, mashed potatoes and a gravy made from the drippings with fresh baked bread because the entire house aroma makes you salivate and after you eat, you really feel comfortable.

But I'd take a homemade lasagne in a heartbeat, as well.

>anyone who is more healthy than me takes steroids
>vegetables are icky
really helping your case here, fatty

this is my first post ITT btw

suddenly many of the discussions in this thread make complete sense.

thanks for clarifying

I just think the term is stupid and conjures images of sad losers trying to console themselves by binging on food

You're not even human, are you?

I was worried I had scored it too deeply and deflated it (I've never scored my loaves before, this is only my third loaf), but after 30 minutes with the lid on, it's looking great. Just removed the lid and parchment paper, it's going back in for another 10-15 for the crust to develop.

I agree with this
Apparently not. Also I did not have a childhood because I wasn't force fed cheap junk food as a child, according to Veeky Forums

Comfort food isn't cheap junk food. It's food that's hearty or reminds you of a good time in your life. For me, comfort food is stuff like a roast chicken, or homemade Mongolian beef like my mom used to make, or bolognese, or simple minestrone.

OH DAMN
looks so tasty
good work out there
still haven't gone to the store!!!!

actually i'm leaving right now

Just pulled it out, gotta let it cool before I cut it. I might should have pulled it out a minute or two earlier, but it makes a nice hollow thunk when I tap the bottom. Godspeed at TJ!

Dude that looks incredible
Thanks will update soon

quads don't lie

>helping your case here, fatty

Not all of us associate "comfort food" and holidays with an uncle who snuck into your bedroom for a bedtime "story," Veeky Forumsfuck.

why do you think I'm from Veeky Forums?

are you under the erroneous impression that people there actually are fit? ten minutes lurking will disabuse you of this misapprehension

Wasted quads.
Veeky Forums has some of the most boring gets of any board.

T-minus 5 minutes until I spread this with Irish butter and shove it into my face along with chili.

>big ol
>northeast

Why

That bread reminds me of this rye bread my Oma makes me when we have soup. How was the chili user?

Fucking delicious. Served it with a hefty spoonful of sour cream, dipped the bread in it. Incredibly pleased with the meal, and I've got tons of leftovers!

>Watery tomato clusterfuck served in a filthy bowl

Why do flyovers eat this garbage?

No it isn't, it's nice to have those foods on every single day of the year. You're just using the bad weather as an excuse to be a fat tub of shit.

My eating habits don't change based on the weather at all, with the sole exception that my intake of chili increases during the winter.

you're shit.

YO that looks incredible. Well done!!!
Had the most unpleasant bike ride of the month in the rain, but got everything from trader joe's. The cakes are cooling right now and I got my cream cheese frosting in the fridge. If you could smell this picture I think you might be a little more impressed.
Excited to frost and get that Slice Pic.

Replying again because I am so impressed with that bread. Damn, it looks so good. Congratulations on that 3rd loaf!

Oh boy, he doesn't know what stuffed shells are. Poor guy.

Thanks, dude! I'm honestly surprised how much better the traditional slow-rise bread is than the quick-rise loaves I've made before. It's way more tender, the crust is crispier, etc etc.

Sorry for your soggy monsoon bike ride. The cakes look great, what's the recipe?

You sound like you spend way too much time on here

Nazi!

inspiredtaste.net/25753/carrot-cake-recipe/

Not as good as the website's photo, but I think that is because I did not wait for the frosting to cool enough or for the cake to cool enough, ha. Got impatient. It is really delicious, though- inviting people in my apt to come have a slice!

And, that sounds great! I will have to give slow-rise a shot. I've got a friend who is taking care of a sourdough starter right now, he likens it to having a little pet.

Looks really fucking good! I can understand the impatience, sometimes you just gotta go for it.

I also have a friend who babies their sourdough starter — I'm probably gonna ask for some soon.

All the comfy soups I can make.

Looks good, what is it?

Tortilla soup!

Followup question — I'm mildly allergic to cinnamon (it triggers migraines for me). Think I could swap out the cinnamon with nutmeg?

Thanks!!

Nice talking to you tonight, user! Glad your carrot cake turned out well!

Stew

beef, wine, veges, herbs, tomatoes, stock slow cooked until beef wants to fall apart

hnhhhnnnnnggggg

One of the dumbest posts I've seen this year.

Goulash from a local Hungarian place. I hope the old duck that makes it has a lot of years left in him.

This looks really good.

Not who you're talking to, but try allspice also. It tastes pretty good in things that call for cinnamon. Nutmeg would also work too if that's all you have.

I made some meatballs and gravy.

Why is your gravy red?

Paprika.

When rain pelts the windows and wind rattles the shutters it's time to make a piping hot creamy tomato soup with some grilled cheese. Then hot coco with those stupid little marshmellows and a jigger of bourbon to stiffen it up. Comfy, cozy, makes the weather go away.

wh.. why would you mutilate your grilled cheese like that?

How much?

It's just a stock picture I grabbed to illustrate a point. My own grilled cheese are prepared the traditional way. Occasionally I experiment with different cheeses but you always come home to cheddar. Diagonally cut in case you are in the dipping kind of mood. Maybe a dash of black pepper. Must be eaten piping hot at maximum temperature while still at optimal gooeyness. To prevent burns open your mouth really wide and pant while rolling it around you mouth is should sound like "Haaahhh haaahhh", put one hand in front of your mouth to hide your glutinous shame from your girlfriend so she doesn't think you are retarded. No one likes a tepid grilled cheese.

2 Tablespoons I think.

Post OC or don't bother next time.

Fuck you I won't do what you tell me.

and now you do what they told ya

Never tried alcohol in hot chocolate. Sounds interesting.

I suggest trying out a couple different things and see what works. Whiskeys and rums usually work best. Baileys and Kahlua also can perk it up but be ready for the extra sweetness. I suppose peppermint schnapps could work too. I like bourbon with it. Blanton's or Basil Haydens are my preferred choices.

I can't tell if I like you or I really hate you.

youtu.be/l9bAbAHV74w

Still cannot tell.