Hiro said that we're allowed one meta thread per board, so here it goes:

Hiro said that we're allowed one meta thread per board, so here it goes:

Please stop replying to obvious low effort shitposts and bait. It actively makes this board worse.

I like fast food burgers 'go 'za WA LA

Holy fuck this

The entire reason Veeky Forums isn't great is because people reply to the really, really, REALLY bad shitposts EVERY fucking time.

The most low effort unfunny shitposts end up being active for a week or two, and any other threads are usually "lets talk about this thing that's food in a way that's not related to cooking at all" which is fine since this is a food board as well, but there's not a lot of serious discussion on cooking

A big point to make in my opinion, is the recent threads popping up just having a picture of an ingredient and the name of it in the title. Obiously started as someone shitposting and ended up being some of the best threads in the past months, because people actually discussed the ingredient and its uses.

Veeky Forums is good because it's based on an easily accessible hobby with a wide range of skill levels and a lot of depth. Threads where people legitimately ask for help, food pairings, how ingredients work, science behind cooking, etc, are all great. Actual discussion of food and not "lol dudes fast food!! dudes loll oh my god i got a ramen!!!!! noodles!! memes in my ramen lol!"

We're getting multiple threads a week that are very obviously people trying to be epic by making some hiLArioUS xD memefood because they saw dessert ramen or some shit.

I feel like Veeky Forums is/should be a pretty easy board to keep in objetively high quality. Most threads, shitty posts(read: not shitposts, just not great threads) are still food or cooking related for the most part. The problem is, like OP said, that the small fraction of shitposts there are get all the replies, because people are fucking retarded.

Ban regularly posted meme threads (what sauce for my steak, for me it's the x and most fast food threads honestly, x diet is a meme, etc) and Veeky Forums would be pretty fantastic.

Basically, too many people too stupid to not reply to the really low quality shitposts this board tends to have, and too few starting actual discussion.

Veeky Forums needs a sticky.

This too. I doubt we'll ever get an actual mod post this day in age but I'd love to write up a Veeky Forums wiki

if the community doesn't want to discuss cooking, this should just be made the Food board. then your weird autistic pedantic argument won't have legs

I literally said the fact cooking isn't discussed as much is fine. The problem is the 'community' bleeds over from the other boards swarmed with 14 year olds and manchildren so we get a bunch of retards replying to the lowest-quality shitposts possible all day.

>hurr anything I don't agree with or anything that takes critical thought is le autism
You are a problem.

Yeah there should be a fast food sticky. If you post fast food outside of it you get banned.

This board is surprisingly good

Nah

For me, it is this post. The most accurate in the thread.

Sorry, force of habit.

I come to Veeky Forums for the low effort shitposting though

Dumbasses like that don't deserve the reply. Ignore those retards.

Where do we start? I think knowing how to use the many things you find in a kitchen (sharpening knifes, using ovens and stoves properly, cleaning stuff correctly, pans and pots and all that comes with it) plus the mis en place is a running start, but where do we branch out from there?

>fantastic

Stopped reading right there.

That's not food-related though.

IP range ban Australia. Problem solved.

a /fastfood/ general might help curb this

its a shame because when the board is more or less concentrated on cooking, ck is almost easily the funniest most savage board on Veeky Forums, but when its all "lel memes!" it becomes boring as FUCK

Let's be honest with ourselves.

Half the board now is people saying over-the-top shit on purpose hoping it gets screen-capped and posted to the "le epic people getting mad at food Veeky Forums screen-cap" tumblr page.

r/Veeky Forums has infected /r9k/ and Veeky Forums. You can't escape.

A large cooking-centric guide with subpages on technique, ingredient usage, etc covering the basics up to covering how to assemble a basic tasting menu, with seperate sections on general kitchen practices like you listed, 'how do i fix this dish', understanding flavours and objective taste when it comes to food, etc, is how I envision it, but after writing it all out it just seems like a really obvious way to do up the wiki

maybe

literally this

It happens a lot, it's always really obvious, and it always gets a lot of replies. People need to stop fucking feeding posts like this. Opening the thread and posting "this is dumb" and not saging isn't helping.

I don't even cook honestly, I just come here for the dank memes baka desu senpai

not quite, the tards around here are enterprising enough that they immediately screencap their own halfassed shit for future regurgitation

This desu

If I want actual discussion then I go to reddit

It is but there's always room for improvement

the only thing improving it will do is make it worse

the McChicken meme isn't the problem though. It's a legitimately amusing Veeky Forums meme that gives the board some character and there's a way to implement it in high- quality threads with real discussion about cooking. Like the other user said, it's not the shot posting that's the problem. It's the low- quality bait threads

The Tumblr was never wanting for dumb shitposts, even before Veeky Forums found out about it.

>Not sure if I should reply

But then we lose Greg.

Damn, I'd forgotten all about Greg's kitchen. I'm surprised to see he's still going.

I feel really sorry for people who want this board to stop sucking. I see better food threads on fucking /pol/ and /int/.

At some point, this board turned into /b/ck/, with every other thread being reddit tier "humor" or /b/ tier comments about diarrhea.

I realized Veeky Forums was done for when it became clear that one should NEVER EVER browse the cooking and food board WHILE EATING.

Maybe if this board had about 25 autistic janitors it could go back to being about food and cooking. Right now it's about being a jerk, so that's fine with me, because I think a community gets to make its own rules.

who's gonna start off with a simple sticky?

If some mod would agree to actually sticky it I bet thered be plenty of volunteers

top puf

If we could organize this, I would definitely throw down. It's going to be a shitshow though because there is so much mythology in cooking plus the subjective aspect

to be fair its still obviously a cooking board. but all the fast food and trash food threads dilute it. like right now for example, there are plenty of good threads

lol you used to make these threads on /tv/, fuck off data miner. I hope someone spills hot coffee in your retinas, fuck you.

There was a Veeky Forums wiki, lost somewhere, empty and never used. Why don't you click "edit" on it instead of asking for a sticky to write itself up?

Moot said he'd stick a post if we could write it.
It's been years people ask for a sticky but nobody's arsed to write one.
Every sticky thread goes down to either we don't deserve a sticky, or it can't be complete by itself : it can only be a link or two to external resources. Like a fucking wiki and the booru.

>low effort shitposts and bait
That's all this board is, though.

Nope.

If they would just do a fast food sticky, this place would be 10x better instantly.

So having frequented this board for years this is something I really want to help contribute to. I am a bartender by trade so anything typed out on that shit I can handle but would take some time to make sure it is accessible to others.

As far as what I can quickly contribute I started so if any anons are willing to help provide help with general infographic advice (as it has worked for other boards) by all means any help is solid and I would be glad to bring it all together for the start of a decent sticky thread.

Even people who just post here to be shit stirrers should be in favor of a fast food sticky. Can you imagine?
All this shilling talk gone. They will be forced to shill to themselves.
And the people who ***enjoy*** posting fast food crap to piss others off would be forced to do so in an endless swamp of pure garbage.
I mean, c'mon. These people love bullshit, stress, and suffering so let's give it to 'em.
Fast food board or sticky would be win/win for everyone.

I would have to think that most people who actually like ck are about to head out to another place that isn't just 14 year olds.
I believe it can be traced back to when moot said he should have kept the site limited to a niche group. You get the traffic from the shit boards like /pol/ and /b/ and all of the sudden you have a bunch of clicks. Yeah, well done.

Veeky Forums should only be /a/, /int/, Veeky Forums, Veeky Forums, /ic/, Veeky Forums, /g/, /out/, Veeky Forums, and /x/

I think it would still be helpful to have an intro guide to newcomers that are interested in this kind of niche.

Fashion board is pretty fucking shitty. I object to your inclusion.

Do Americans really reply to this¿

I don't know what you mean about shitposting, friend. All I know is, the McChicken is the best fast food sandwich.

This is a serious problem all over the site. Having passion for anything that isn't video games is autism. There's little in depth discussion on anything anymore, just endless quips. Phoneposters are part of the problem.

I'd totally be willing to be a part of a Veeky Forums wiki/sticky revival. I'll start documenting things that people suggest here, such as recommended cookbooks, cooking blogs, television/online cooking series, even links to archived posts so that I could clean them up and add context to them to make them useful for newfags.

I adore this board and all it faults and I believe that with a few anons' effort we could maybe improve the general discourse of this place.

All of you can fuck off is my opinion

It's shitty but not detrimental to the site like /pol/ and /v/ have been during Trump campaign and GG.

This should be the sticky picture.

You haven't seen x lately cainpai
It's as bad as ck

What about /diy/?

Dude, the first 3 listings showed you're a complete fag, and yet you expect to be taken seriously. C'mon.

I think 4 chan basically relies on clicks now since hiroshimoot.
They would prefer 14 year olds clicking away and arguing, meme posting like crazy.

>anything I don't like is wrong
You can't downvote like you do in your echo chamber, lad. Deal with it.

Considering the fact that he put literal adware up yeah that shitbag fucking gook will never do more than the bare minimun to keep this site (which was once a labor of love) running to earn him a few yen

Your boyhole needs a sticky poz load.

Have a bump.

Seconded. A Veeky Forums sticky could solve alot of problems. I mostly just want to see more people cooking and cooking more interesting foods.

In /sp/ when they took all the wrestling bullshit away it was a good move. They need to do the same thing for Veeky Forums with fast food. Either make a fast food sticky or move it to its own board.

There are currently 11-12 fast food threads on ck. Just stick them in their own board.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Gordon Ramsay / Andrew zimmern/ Anthony bourdain threads go to /tv/ either

The answer is to split the board.
Veeky Forums for cooking and /fo/ for food general such as junk food.
All YouTube stuff should be on /tv/ to keep the kids happy.
i know the guys on the IRC have written a sticky so that should be linked on Veeky Forums. Cooking is pretty objective, the basic techniques remain the same.

I assume you meant subjective not objective. Anyway, this sounds like a good idea to me as long as it's clear.

The reason this sounds good to me is I come here for cooking and recipes and I couldn't care less about fast food and junk food or n general.

Of course the next thing all these 14 year old faggots will do is make 100 different how to cook steak threads so there should be a rule about duplicate threads.

If "meme" "kino" "redpill" etc. could be filtered that would be nice too

How would a Veeky Forums sticky even work? Would it be more of a "if you post a bullshit thread that isn't food/cooking related, or is a low effort bait post about food/etc, you will be banned" or more of a "this is how you cook" sticky?

Because a "this is how you cook sticky" would be ridiculously long, somewhat unusable because a lot of people only want to most extreme basics, or learn very differently to find just a straight text tutorial to be difficult to follow, or any other number of reasons.

After this post, calling anyone a "cuck" or referring to something as "meme" should result instant bans.

If mods/janitors don't take this advice, they are objectively supporting trolling.

You should probably further qualify the split to be Veeky Forums - cooking and foods used as ingredients and /rest/ - restaurants and their food. I like some of the threads where different ingredients are discussed.

A lot of stickies just cover common questions. If we could get rid of the dozens of weekly "I'm a poor college student, tell me what put in my ramen" or "help me meal plan on a budget" threads, it would be worth it

Yeah, it'd need some janitor back up. That said, if a warning in the sticky alone scared off even a tenth of the shitty bait threads that get rehashed every week it'd be a net positive.

Actual cooking advice is probably better suited to the wiki, but we could probably straw poll a short list of passable recipe sites and good youtube channels to head off "how do I boil potatoes" posts.

Nah, cooking is objective.
All practical skills are objective.

I'm not involved with the sticky just a random user, but how I see it work on some boards/forums is you post thread rules and maybe some examples of what is OK and what is not OK. They didn't have to do this on /sp/ when they split off wrestling because it was very clear cut.

I don't think anyone is talking about making a sticky that is some sort of "cooking knowledge repository" (at least I hope not).

You seem to not like Veeky Forums memes but you used the word "objectively" so into the trash you go

I think a further clarification would be "junk food threads". We want the restaurant threads out but also the threads that are like "what is the best chocolate and why is it Hershey's."

OK I see what you mean. I was reading it as "taste" is objective because of your lack of a semicolon.

>how do I spruce up ramen
>ketchup on steak
>I have five cents to last me for 3 years worth of food what can I make with this
>al/r9k/y
>Jack/Joey/Reviewbrah/etc

Should be instant bans

You can put this in the rules of the sticky but the problem would be enforcing it. It might be easier to just report and delete duplicate threads and ban repeat offenders.

For example: some 14 year old faggot makes a thread asking how long to cook a steak. Then some other retard makes a thread about ketchup on steak.

Those would both be steak threads so one would be removed

I legitimately like catsup on my steak though, sorry you can't ignore actual trolls, daddy Mook should do it for you right?

>problem would be enforcing
This isn't a municipality, it's a website, it shouldn't be an issue at all

>You seem to not like Veeky Forums memes but you used the word "objectively" so into the trash you go
You know I'm right. The board gets flooded with "lol u fell for meme cuck faggot" and it's shit. If they would ban people for that shit, it would stop.

If you don't like memes and like strict rules I suggest you return to Reddit

Memes are fine, retarded bait and shitposting are not.

You are being contrary and not adding anything to the discussion. You would need a full-time mod to do what you are asking. I offered a better solution that wouldn't take such a resource toll.

I do know your're right about the "cuck" thing. The thing is you are such a Veeky Forums fanboy that you don't understand that "objectively" has invaded your lexicon. In other words, I agree with you but you better take a look at yourself and follow some of your own advice.

You're part of the problem, user.
Shame on you.

This retarded bait has been part of this boards culture longer than you have been here

Why not? Do you even know what site you're on?

Fine, I recant objectively since you find it so distracting.

Bullshit. When I first came here that wasn't tolerated. Mods would see something and know it's bait, and ban that fucker outright whether it was specifically against the rules or not.

Not the person you are responding to but you're just too young or new to know what Veeky Forums used to be like outside of /b/.

No

Replying to bait is WHY it's good

>deploying "Reddit" as if were some atomic bomb pejorative
No one cares

Suck my dick I've been here since 2006

>been here since 2006
11 years and you still don't understand?
Retard.

>I take my Veeky Forums very seriously
Itty bitty baby
Itty bitty boat

You're a cuck, you meme.

>Frankie. Can I call you that?
>We're good friends, you and me. An inseparable duo
>Batman and Robin. Starsky and Hutch. You and Me, Frankie
>Now, you wouldn't be trying to fuck your lifelong partner, would you Frankie?
>What ya got there? Some shitty sandwich from a chain restaurant. They choke out the smaller mom and pop businesses just trying to scrape by on an earnest living.
>Day after day you can smell freshly baked bread and sizzling hot, tender meat dripping from the oven. All just down the street; waiting for a customer to stroll in and try the best "engineer" this side of Jersey
>And what do you go and do, Frankie? You stroll into a God damned Subway because Happy Gilmore told you it was the ideal lunch choice
>You're fucking over the natural order of things around here, Frankie
>You don't give your old buddy a call in over a week
>You screw some kind old lady out of a day's pay
>AND YET YOU STILL DON'T HAVE THE BOSS' MONEY
>YOU GOT ENOUGH SENSE TO KNOW HE DON'T FUCK AROUND, BUT YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TO PIECE TOGETHER THAT YOU'RE BURNING THROUGH HIS FUCKING CASH, BUYING SOME SHIT EXCUSE FOR A MEAL AT SOME JACKOFF'S OVERPRICED, RAT INFESTED SHITHOLE
>WHAT'S IT GONNA TAKE TO GET THIS THROUGH YOUR BRAIN, FRANKIE? A BULLET? YOU'D BE THE LUCKIEST SON OF A BITCH IN THE WORLD IF THE BOSS LET YOU OFF THAT EASY. I HEAR HE'S TAKEN TO DROPPING GOONS LIKE YOU OFF IN THE RIVER, WEARING A NEW PAIR OF -
>...
>What the fuck?
>Is that...
>...
>Is that Mediterranean oregano I smell?

>Been here 11 years
>Thinks trolling was at some point not allowed