It's a chilly rainy day, but I planned ahead last night and drunkenly mixed up some dough for whole wheat bread...

It's a chilly rainy day, but I planned ahead last night and drunkenly mixed up some dough for whole wheat bread. Another hour or so, and it'll be time to bake it.

I want to make soup of some kind to go with it — I have basic veggies (carrots, onions, garlic, bell pepper, tomatoes), every kind of grain and canned beans imaginable, and vegan "meat" crumbles. The obvious thing would be to make chili, but that sounds kind of boring.

Does anyone have a better idea?

minestrone?

That's not a bad idea, although I don't have zucchini or green beans. I have frozen peas, maybe I could substitute those for green beans?

no green beans does suck I guess but I don't see why peas wouldn't be an okay substitute

My concern is that peas tend to be much sweeter than green beans, which might throw off the balance of the soup.

quinoa bowl w onions and peppers and tomatoes. great with bread

Chili only boring when you come at it with that attitude
Make that chili baybuh
MAKE that chilly chili

YOU RIGHT, YOU RIGHT, FUCK IT, I'M MAKING CHILI. Gonna do a fake meat chili with black beans and corn. I might add some brown rice towards the end, we'll see.

ayyeee

>fake meat chili

Eewww! I know some 1840's cattle drovers whose skeletons are collectively turning over in their grave.

skip the corn, add sliced carrots. absolutely no rice goes in chili

I know rice isn't ~traditional~ but it adds some good texture. Debating using farro instead, or just skipping it altogether.

So far I've got onions, green bell peppers, a jalapeño, carrots, garlic all sautéd until soft. Added cumin and ancho chipotle powder, chopped tomatoes, corn, and veggie "meat" crumbles. Cooked that for a few minutes, then added veggie broth. Gonna let it cook while the oven preheats and my bread does its second rise (pic related)

Update, I tried scoring the dough for the first time and might have ruined it. FML. Putting it in the oven now.

i believe in u and ur bread

Thank you, user. 4 minutes until I pull it out of the oven to take the lid off and see how badly I've fucked it up.

Oh shit, I didn't fuck it up (from what I can tell.) I was worried I had deflated it too much by scoring too deeply, but here's what it looks like now. Removed the parchment paper, putting it back in without a lid for 10-15 min!

Put barley or something in it instead.

Might should have taken it out 2 minutes earlier, but I'm really pleased with how the loaf turned out. Gotta let it cool before I cut it, though.

Chili is cooking nicely, gonna skip the rice/farro because I'm hungry and I want to eat after the bread cools.

Turns out traditional long-rise bread tastes way better than quick-rise bread.

Unff. Dis shit look good right here. How's the chili coming??

Chili's delicious — added black beans towards the end. It's nice and spicy, and perfect with a spoonful of sour cream mixed in. It and the bread are perfect together.