What can a slow cooker or pressure cooker do that a dutch oven can't?

what can a slow cooker or pressure cooker do that a dutch oven can't?

go in a dish washer

Dunno what you're using but my crock pot consists of a ceramic pot that sits in a warmer. The pot can easily be placed in a dishwasher

people put slow cookers in a dish washer? why not put the dutch oven in there?

My wife swears by these damn slow cookers. 50% of my dinners have that same mush consistency and texture. Usually the same flavor profile since it's always stuffed with that generic potato/onion/spice combination. I am so damn sick of it.

(the other 50% that isn't mush is when I cook)

Moderation, dammit.

ok user but maybe this isn't really that relevant to the discussion at hand.

Slow cookers are handy for being lazy and letting things cook when you are asleep or away for a bit

why can't dutch ovens do this?

Lower risk of fire accident

1. make boom-boom
2. make shroom-shroom
3. cook thangs

They're better for tough cuts of meat, not whole dishes. I only slow cook to have cooked meat on hand that gets used in other dishes

Pressure cookers will cook much faster.

Plug into an outlet

The last time I made pulled pork I put the rub on the pork shoulder then put it in the slower cooker in the fridge the night before. I woke up at 5am and took the pork out and set it to low for 12 hours before going back to bed and I had fall apart pork ready for dinner.

Put the dutch oven in the oven. No risk

quick post slow cooker recipes

burn uranus

I keep thinking about buying one, but every time I can't answer this question. what the fuck is it good for? unless you get one of those as seen on tv ones they can't get hot enough to sear meat in, so you have to bring a real pan anyway. cooking my dinner while I'm gone during the day isn't realistic either since getting everything prepped and in the cooker would mean waking up at 5am. I remember when I lived at home my mom had one and the recipe book for it was nothing but "meat + some kind of canned soup" crap. you might as well just eat frozen dinners if you're going to be that lazy.

I don't use my very often, but when I do it's because I'm tired of having to cook dinner when I get home. With the slow cooker I can throw my ingredients in there before I leave in the morning and have dinner ready when I get home. All I have to do is clean up.

And yeah, there's not a lot of variety when using a slow cooker. I'll make six quarts of lentil soup or something like that and eat off it for a week or more. Or freeze some of it.

I made pulled pork last night (cooked overnight). Soups are good, as are the tough cuts of meat (mentioned by an user up-thread). You don't have to use soups as your liquid...I cooked my pork butt last night in a half a can of beer. Or use wine. Or stock.

your mileage may vary

Boston bomb

Are you retarded?

>With the slow cooker I can throw my ingredients in there before I leave in the morning
how do you have the time? consider something like a simple soup:

chop onion: 2-4 minues
peel and chop carrots: 3-5 minutes
chop celery: 1-2 minutes
cut up meat: 5-8 minutes
brown the meat in a real pot: 8-15 minutes

that's as much as a half an hour of work to do early in the morning. there's no way I'm getting up that much earlier just to start cooking. if I want to have something ready when I get home I'll just make it on a day off and freeze it.

Not heat up the house

'no'

>how do you have the time?
By having a knife that's not dull as fuck.

Peel and chop an onion? 20 seconds.
Carrots? 30 seconds.
Celery? 20 seconds.
Meat? 1 minute, if that.
Yeah, browning them in the pot takes a little time, but that can happen while you are chopping the other veggies. Get the meat going first, then chop the veggies and clean up while the meat is cooking.

Getting up another 15 min earlier is no big deal at all.

Or just play with your phone toy less and use that time for cooking.

They're good for any method of cooking involving tenderising/softening ingredients in the sauce you're cooking in.

Generally speaking curries and stews. You can use cheap as fuck cuts of meat and they'll come out ultra tender.

Big advantages:

Single pot cooking where you can put ingredients in and forget about it.

No hotspots risking burnt food like you get on a stove and uses less power and has easier washing up compared to a oven baked casserole.

Big disadvantages:

Even on a high heat mode, you're looking at 3-4 hours compared to 90 minutes for an oven casserole. Low heat, which gives better results is looking at 6 hours.

Food will get softer the longer you cook it, until it eventually goes to mush or the meat disintegrates.

Not good for strong or delicate flavours. Flavours tend to fade a bit and you won't get much meat flavour (although good use of stock and leaving spices until late on helps)

How the fuck can you spend 4 mins on cutting onions?

Why does it take you 4 minutes to chop and onion?

Even if you dice it, from peel to plate that takes like 90 seconds.

I don't know it was just an estimation. I know that from the time I put the ingredients on the counter until everything is simmering in the pot it takes 40-60 minutes to get beef stew going the normal way. that includes peeling and chopping all the ingredients, browning the onions, searing the meat, deglazing the pan, etc. this is when I'm actually awake and not at 5am. I just don't see the advantage of getting up an hour early to start cooking something when I could just as easily do it on a day off.

Same. Slow cookers turn shoulder steak into brisket

How feasible is it to make ramen or pho that's worth a shit in a slow cooker? Any kind of soup that takes a long ass time to do properly.

A slow cooker uses less energy, and is safer when left unattended.

A pressure cooker can cook meals much faster. It's great if you want to make something using a cheaper cut of meat, that would usually require hours of cooking to tenderize. With the pressure cooker, you can get the same results in 30 minutes or less.

Apply kill to self

well i don't have to suppress a smile when people say "slow cooker" the way i do when somebody says "dutch oven"

You sound like a working class chump. I bet you thought it would be a great "investment", how you would wake up to a warm, healthy breakfast to start off your long day. Maybe, you even had a couple thoughts about all the other nifty little uses you could find for the thing, how it would help you cook healthier meals in general, shed a couple pounds off the old gut, boost your confidence around work and with the ladies. Yeah, maybe that slow cooker would start your life cooking again, wouldn't it? I can see your strained hands holding the box and reading through it carefully at the store. A little bit pricey, but you're the type of guy who thinks everything is more than you can spend, aren't you. And look what happened to you. Look what the slow cooker did to you. Fucked you over, and made you clean it like a useless bitch. You don't even fucking like oatmeal. Piece of shit, you've been repeating those three words your whole life, haven't you. Yeah, how was work after that piece of shit fucked you over? I bet it was on your mind the whole day, you probably didn't say shit to nobody. Can't be telling people about your mistakes. How your little fix yourself plan, failed you. Don't want people to start thinking you're the failure. You're the piece of shit, all along. You don't want that do you? You don't want to be the piece of shit everybody secretly whispers about, do you? Was your father a piece of shit like you? I bet he never had a slow cooker. He had a woman, a house, a damn good job. I bet it's slow cooking you the fuck alive, isn't it. Comparing yourself to him. How one day when all the steam runs our of your life, you'll discover how you're nothing more than burnt shit to be scrapped off and thrown in the trash.

Enjoy stew for the rest of your life

Your copypasta is stale.
...not that it was any good to begin with....

Plug into the wall

slow post more quick cooker recipes