Ph.D student in the department randomly brings new REU student to meet me

>Ph.D student in the department randomly brings new REU student to meet me
>I'm browsing /an/ and dressed like a slob so she gets an amazing first impression of me
>oh wow she's a qt what a rare sight
>she has to do bioinformatics and I'm the only one who knows bioinformatics
>says that I can help her
>now nervous about helping her and trying to have sex but not being autistic sperg who browses Veeky Forums

D-do I have a chance, bros?

Other urls found in this thread:

sirc.org/publik/flirt.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why don't you just treat her like your peer and not try and fuck her? This is why women don't want to enter STEM....

don't fuck your students you enormous fucking creep

dont listen to these cucks, if anything you should be punishing her (subtly, no need to blow your beans early on this) for presumably being hired soley based on her sex and taking a place that rightfully belongs to a man

see if she has any qt friends and try to fuck them instead

she's not my student, I'm a masters student and I'm 24 she looks like she's 21 or 22 or something

is it really that creepy? I don't want to be, I just never encounter cute girls ever in this line of work. just uggo Chinese girls

Don't shit where you eat aka don't fuck people that you work with. That's assuming she would even be interested in you. Protip: she is not interested in you; see pic related.

>D-do I have a chance, bros?
lolno

I feel very similar to the other posters but because I can feel some sympathy for you I'll try to help you out and give the best advice I can.

Look, you have to look at this problem economically. She wants something for you and you want something from her. So this is what you shoul do: In your first session or class or whatever act nice (not too nice because you know what happens). You know, just calm, understanding. And try your best to be charming. Sexually charming I mean, so dress well, smell well, look well, etc. Then be very attentive if she gives you qt signs (signs that her vagina is open for you) like cute laughs and unnecesary physical contact. If she does then after the session invite her to some coffee and then be more flirtatious then.

If she does not give you qt signs then just finish the session (be professional, you don't want to leave a bad impression) and then some days later report to her that your classes or your research is getting pretty hard so you can't really spare the time to teach her anymore.

It is that easy...

HARD MODE:

This involves top psychological reading. If you are autistic do not try this.

Even if she does not show qt signs while you are teaching, you can predict that maybe she likes you and is trying to be professional by not being girly and shit. Therefore, even if she does not show signs you should still invite her to some coffee to see if then she becomes flirtatious.

ignroe this post

she wants your help not your weenus

if you want to sex someone, then find someone thats not in your workplace

>is it really that creepy? I don't want to be, I just never encounter cute girls ever in this line of work. just uggo Chinese girls
Yes. Normal people don't desperately hold out hope that the first cute girl they meet in their line of work will fall for them. Have you considered dating outside of the mathematics department? You know, like everyone else in the mathematics department does?

>she wants your help not your weenus
You don't know that. We are dealing with social economics here.
For all we know, that PhD student showed up with the girl because the girl liked OP and she asked the PhD student to help introduce her to him.

>if you want to sex someone, then find someone thats not in your workplace

There is nothing wrong with trying to get a girl that you like. Fuck you.

lmao

>For all we know, that PhD student showed up with the girl because the girl liked OP and she asked the PhD student to help introduce her to him
do you go around thinking life is some movie starring you?

>There is nothing wrong with trying to get a girl that you like. Fuck you.
There is something wrong if you work with her!

it's not?

no but really the only way I've ever had success with girls is when a friend introduced them to me (their roommate, friend from school)
so I think it's like a sign

I guess I'll just see how she takes to learning some linux and if she can stand my presence first

>do you go around thinking life is some movie starring you?

No but you have to keep all options open. I can assure that if indeed what I said is true then it is not the first time something like this has happened in the history of mankind. Some time ago there was a shy girl who asked a PhD student to introduce her to some other guy in the same department.

This shit happens from time to time and if you reject the odds then you reject life.

And even if that isn't the case, you don't know that. This is social economics after all. Social gambling, if you will. And in social gambling you something win big and sometimes you lose big. But if you want to play then you have to try and risk failing, and if you do not play then you will be literally forever alone.

Pick.

good luck
sure why not.

>if she can stand my presence first
>I really can't stand this total scrub but I need to work with him in order to advance my academic career so I'll do my best to be nice to him.
Kek, enjoy embarrassing yourself with your un-professionalism.

By the way, only having had success with girls that other people have introduced to you is not a good sign. It means that you have never actually successfully sought someone out, which says a lot about your self esteem, your standards, and the way you view yourself.

This level of projection

>do you go around thinking life is some movie starring you?

Kek I'm using this in the future.

These are cucks. Ignore them.
>Creepy
Half the time creepy is just a word girls use to repel unattractive cucks. A tall handsome Chad could steal their underwear and jerk off into it and they'd call him "cute" not creepy.
Go for it man, almost every important person in math and science found their woman at uni. Met at conferences etc.
This is a cuck. He'll be happy to hold a womans head stable while Chad nails her and then he goes on Veeky Forums and reddit and whines about /r9k/ or /pol/ virgins.

But there isn't, unless you have some authority over them or if you persist after getting shot down.

Ask her out, get her drunk, make out.

These are your first few objectives solider. Do not think too far. Step by step. Do the following and regroup.

>Linus Torvalds is married to Tove Torvalds (née Monni)—a six-time Finnish national karate champion—whom he first met in the autumn of 1993. Linus was running introductory computer laboratory exercises for students and instructed the course attendees to send him an e-mail as a test, to which Tove responded with an e-mail asking for a date
Oh my god now I definitively see why so few women are into open scource software!

it's pretty true

I guess 3/5 were people I met indirectly, and 2/5 were people I met myself. And I was pretty drunk for all of them

I am a cesspool of insecurity but I've been trying to fix it for years. Being in such an isolating work environment definitely doesn't help

What's this bullshit doing on/sci/?

>By the way, only having had success with girls that other people have introduced to you is not a good sign
What does this even mean? Most people meet girls through their social circle.
What's the alternative meeting some broad at weekly basket weaving lessons or LTR'ing some piece of fuckmeat from a bar?

This must be the most pathetic thread on Veeky Forums right now.

Don't get me wrong, there are people who can pull off fucking their peers without going through huge troubles at work and I know several postdocs who are married to former students.

But you are not one of them. You can try to act like describes, but you know well that you will fail at acting professional and not being obviously thirsty. Here is what you should do: Grow some balls, accept that you won't get into her pants, and just teach her whatever she needs and learn how to behave near qts without being a massive creep. And once you can act natural around them, you can try to woo the next one, even though dating at the working place is a recipe for disaster.

Here, someone wrote a guide for socially insecure people like you.
sirc.org/publik/flirt.html

You don't have to LTR some bar slut. It is possible to talk to people you don't know in other settings (granted some of them aren't always socially acceptable and you have to have some basic intuition for nuanced human interaction).

This is called grooming and it basically relies on you fucking with the other person's emotions so much that their reaction to you becomes warped. It is not just unprofessional but it is unethical and nowadays most women catch on pretty quick anyways (especially the smart ones).

>This is called grooming and it basically relies on you fucking with the other person's emotions so much that their reaction to you becomes warped

What? Literally what? On how many layers of feminism are you my man?

What I described is simply called doing a move. It is the literal first step if you want to start a relationship: Act nice, look nice, smell nice, feel nice.

If you think that acting nice is some kind of sick psychological trick to rape you then you are fucking crazy.

> It is not just unprofessional
What I described is very professional. I told him to just hang out with her and SEE if she sends any signals. If she does not send anything then proceed as usual. Very professional.

>unethical
>Looking for a partner is unethical
HOLY SHIT ON HOW MANY LAYERS OF FEMINISM ARE YOU?

>It is possible to talk to people you don't know in other settings (granted some of them aren't always socially acceptable and you have to have some basic intuition for nuanced human interaction).
Like what? Parties? Then we're back to being introduced by someone else. "Spare-time activities"? Then we're back to going to some waste of time bullshit. Classes or projects? Then we're back to being equally ""creepy"" and ""inappropriate"" as OP supposedly is. Out on the town? Then we're back to picking up sluts.
Normal every day activities like shopping or transportation (what others?)? Then we're again back to being ""creepy"" and intruding upon people's private zone.

Mention some examples please.

Thanks for link btw, I'll look through it some time. Hopefully it's autism tight.

>And try your best to be charming. Sexually charming
Normalizing inappropriate behavior during a study session.

>If she does not give you qt signs then just finish the session (be professional, you don't want to leave a bad impression) and then some days later report to her that your classes or your research is getting pretty hard so you can't really spare the time to teach her anymore.
Abusing your position of power.

Adding to that that in order to maintain this you have to build some rapport. Literally the only thing missing is you trying to make her feel like she can't talk to other people about your inappropriate ass without it backfiring.

>This involves top psychological reading. If you are autistic do not try this.
Literally admitting you have to be a manipulative creep to do this.

Dont help her. She will suck the necesarry info out of you, then shit on you, then shit on your field, then shit on your professor and make you somehow responsible for it, then graduate with top degree because muh opression while you will be forever hated.

Keep women out of STEM

refer to the link in

you will become her beta orbiter

Don't listen to the jealous virgins in this thread. Keep it casual, develop a friendly strictly professional relationship for a month or two, then ask her out for coffee. Most of my professors met their husbands/ wives in graduate school. There's nothing wrong with it if you keep it dignified.

>Normalizing inappropriate behavior during a study session.

Sexually charming just means look good, look sexy. Holy shit calm down.

>Abusing your position of power.
You mean his position of having some knowledge? Listen to me here. When you ask something of someone it is for them to decide if they give it to you, and on what terms they give it to you.

Some people say that they will only give you something if you pay them. No one has a problem with that.

Are you saying that because she asked, OP is now obligated to just serve her without choice? FUCK YOU.

>Literally admitting you have to be a manipulative creep to do this.

Psychological reading just means that you are good at predicting what people are thinking and/or will do.

What I then went on to say is that if he can read then he should take a gamble. He should gamble that she likes him. And as I said before, in gambling you sometimes win big and sometimes you lose big. There is nothing rapey about trying to get a girl.

>Most of my professors met their husbands/ wives in graduate school.
This is true. Just look at wiki bios. This also confirms it.

>t. never been in a long term relationship
It's called courting you dumb fuck. It's what real adults do, not some vapid Tinder sex date.

this

I want /r9k/ to leave

So you're saying there's still a chance

Since everyone here is clearly a chad who gets tons of women without being creepy or meeting them through acquaintances, please share your secrets with us autist scientists. As you might guess, human interaction isn't my best field

Yes, but your goal should be a relationship, not sex. Sex will come from the relationship naturally in the future.

>smell well
>look well
I speak english good

I is sorry me ESL

Just kidding faggot fuck you. Everyone fucks up adverbs and adjectives from time to time.

>implying PhD students in elite unis are not socially inept virgins

>he doesnt show off his functioning eyes and nose

hi sniffy foureyes

>Got rejected from every REU
I knew I shouldn't have been born white with a Y chromosome

I don't see OP obsessing over her too much, he's just wondering if he has a chance. He doesn't seem to have his heart set on her or anything

They're not. Elite Universities focus on networking more then anything. They are interested in getting the most prestigious most interesting most well connected most social people, not the most autistic overachievers. Those people will never really fit in anywhere.

That is only for undergrads. Ph.D mathematicians who spent undergrad elsewhere aren't going to be Rhodes Scholars. The career of research mathematician itself precludes becoming a great influencer.
For the well-connected elite, math is at most a hobby.

Different user. Agreed. As long as the it's completely okay if the girl doesn't respond the way OP wants her to (and OP isn't a twat about it), there's nothing wrong with OP opening up the possibility in the first place.

Not really. They're actually pretty well put-together.

>t. person who likes fucking grad students

>Different user. Agreed. As long as the it's completely okay if the girl doesn't respond the way OP wants her to (and OP isn't a twat about it), there's nothing wrong with OP opening up the possibility in the first place.
I agree about it being okay if OP is just being open to a relationship and not being a twat. It is worth noting however that that dude suggested that OP should only help her with her research if he believes she wants a relationship.

That would constitute twattish behavior. I think the approach is important though. If OP goes in there and treats the girl like a potential mate instead of a person who he legitimately needs t work with, he's not going to go anywhere.

It's going to be off-putting.

kek, nice lad
I don't

>This is why women don't want to enter STEM
Good one, i chuckelf

Try your best user. If you feel attracted to her, there's no reason to give it a go.

>Listen to me here. When you ask something of someone it is for them to decide if they give it to you, and on what terms they give it to you.
Come on man, If OP agreed to help her and then decides not to because she doesn't sex him is abusing his Power
Especially If she figured out his intentions

Why don't you try treating her like an equal rather than a possible fucktoy, firstly if you are interested in her you should really get to know her if your interests are incompatible then don't bother I guess it's up to you though if you just want a random fuck or an actual relationship.

also