How do i get myself interested in mechanical engineering? (my major)

How do i get myself interested in mechanical engineering? (my major)

i've never been much of a student despite being tested in middle school with an IQ in the 99%, the reason being i didn't grow up in a very disciplinary household, being allowed to play video games or lounge around wasting time. Now my interests lie in politics, history, literature, film, etc.

i'm in my early 20s now, and I'd like to actually commit to my major, not just pass however i can.

is there a way i can get myself into working problems, like statics or upper math? if i just keep practicing (i never do) will i eventually enjoy it?

pls help

Other urls found in this thread:

indeed.com/cmp/RecruitforKicks/jobs/Group-Head-Bat-Biologic-f2f9014d06f1d12d?q=200k mechanical engineer
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>i

Thread hidden.

user, pls

Mech student in France here, I have this problem every now and then an I would recommend just practicing your shit and you'll feel like you know how to do useful stuff and it'll help you like it more. That being said if you really have no interest in mechanics you should really think about your orientation pal.

I just wanna make 200k starting right out of school

Bump

Do a PhD in pure math. You'll get 150% of that starting.

switch majors, lol

With Mech E? you one hundred percent won't

I know Mech Es that doubled with Aerospace Engs out of princetone and they make considerably less than half of that

Here's you a sample.

>indeed.com/cmp/RecruitforKicks/jobs/Group-Head-Bat-Biologic-f2f9014d06f1d12d?q=200k mechanical engineer
Mechanical engineering at a Ph.D level plus 6 years, with pharmaceutical experience, for 200k starting.

Upward mobility is your friend, and at 200k, you're already reaching when it comes to salaried jobs in the first place. 300k is pretty much your hard cap if you're not going to be starting your own business and/or hiring your own workers.

>Tfw mechE student too
>tfw sitting the dynamics exam
>tfw you didn't group the angular velocities from the j and k axes

Everything else was fine but fuck me, that will haunt me forever

Start making things for yourself and not others using MechE?I mean who are you learning this for?yourself? future wife? kids? if it fun for you? You do draw an positive emotional response from doing these challenges and exploration of a subject?

>help I have picked a major I have no interest in because it pays well
>help me now so I can spend my life doing something I have no real interest in so I can afford a bmw 5 series instead of a nissan sentra
You young guys will never learn
Let me tell you something plain and simple right now, switch your god damn major.
The university part of an engineers career is the most interesting part. If you are not interested in the material now, you will want to kill yourself when you start actual engineering work.
You will want to kill yourself from staring at microsoft excel for 40 hours a week, but hey you can get the leather trim package in your bmw.
I would rather be totally broke, living in a shoddy apartment, and drive a beater doing what I actually have interest in than to have money doing something I do not care about. I know I would rather do this because I have done it and lived that life.
You young guys will never understand. They complain about how long it is for a PhD and how much school you have to sit through, the amount of time it takes to get a degree. And yet, you will instantly devote 30 fucking years to something you have no interest in, blows my mind.

>excel

Fuck it, it's better than MATLAB.

Honestly, how people get off bragging to a bunch of anonymous neets about how high their iq is on a kyrzstani sheep herding forum, is beyond me.

>tfw want to be an Mechanical engineer but can't because you're an 110 iq brainlet

>you're an 110 iq brainlet

kek is this banter? I'm pretty sure I have average intelligence and I do MechE. But I do study a lot more than my peers for the same grades.
What do you use Excel for? I'm just hoping to get a solid CAD job, I love doing that stuff.

You'll make $60k tops. Switch majors to business.

>t. recent ME grad

No, not really at all.

>I'm just hoping to get a solid CAD job
Very few engineering jobs involve CAD, and the ones that do have insane levels of competition. I hope you have a PE license, master's degree, and 20 years of experience designing windshield wipers (or whatever other super specific thing you're going to be designing).

I was talking about myself

Googled PE licence, it's similar to chartership here in the UK. And you need a masters for it too. I don't have the funds for a masters sadly and I would want a break from uni in general.

Way to crush my dreams mate kek. I don't really mind, I'll accept any engineering job just for experience.

>CAD job
You'll go into the market with draftsmen, who get paid a quarter of an engineer's starting salary.

Excel is often the tool of choice for keeping track of the data monitored at the inputs and outputs of different parts of the manufacturing line. They record a bunch of data at point a, point b, point c, and so on, every minute or so from the time the line starts running to the time the line shuts down, and part of an engineer's job is to analyze that data and specify actions that will optimize the production line. Lowering costs, lowering waste, lowering downtime, lowering defective product rate, lowering energy use, ensuring safety, raising product output, all that good stuff. That's just what you have to maintain consistently, while the CAD and experimentation work is something that comes with company projects that you'll perform concurrently with the Excel analytics. It's one of the best jobs you can get at the entry-level, especially if you'll also be supervising people to implement the changes you propose.

A person with more than 70 IQ would take the context of his text/image and realize the user was talking about himself.

Nobody gives a fuck about you spouting muh 99th percentile.

Maybe because I had a shit teacher for MATLAB but I didn't understand a thing even after speaking to him in person and reading lecture notes. It's seriously put me off coding in general. except Labview

nice trips

He said he couldn't hack being one because of his IQ. He's not actually retarded (I think) so he can do it if he wanted but like with most people he's too lazy to put the work in

Or do Industrial Engineering, the salary of a business major but you get respect as an engineer. (You wiill not be respected by other engineers, but who cares, you are their boss)

all majors are fucked. kiss ass to get ahead dummies

>You'll make $60k tops
shitter detected.

lol, you will more than likely be doing sales as an IE.

>$60k tops

Put that though here:
>www.jobsearchintelligence.com/etc/jobseekers/salary-calculator.php

I got a market value of $74k at the entry level.

Not really, IE alone has more CEOs than the rest of engineerings combined. Wal-mart and Burguer King ceos are industrial engineers for example. Even doing sales you can make a lot of money.

Why the fuck did you pick it in the first place you tard monkey?

>implying that doesn't exist to bait even more people into falling for the meme, further lowering salaries

>Starting salaries (The 10th percentile) for this occupation are $58160

Judging by how you felt the need to justify your intelligence, I'm guessing you have no idea what you want to do with your life. Take some other classes, who cares if you spend a couple extra years in school?

This does not even remotely match the current hiring landscape in my area, and I'm in a major aerospace hub in the US. There are approximately zero job openings for new graduates, and those openings that do exist are for temp. project work with no benefits or job security. They're marketing internships as being for recent graduates now.

I also saw a bunch of listings for hourly engineers with pay of $24 an hour. So $46k a year. Real fucking classy.

>They're marketing internships as being for recent graduates now.
Hook me up with some of these companies, fampai

Fuck, this is just pathetic.

STEM uprising when?