Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Genji#English_translations
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pic related is mine

pseud af user

>Three copies of Art of the Deal

>Ulililia
I bet you haven't read more than 3 pages

I've read more books in my lifetime than you have in 2017.

>Ulysses is in the wrong order
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Way 2 rekt urself

>I've read more books in my lifetime
>than you have in 2017.

Congratulations, you just played yourself.

>being this smart

nah

1/2 give me recs

2/2 or validate my life idk

Kafka auf Deutsch

>tfw my shelf consists almost entirely of Penguin because they have the monopoly on English books in my country
'tis a bad feel indeed

I was mildly amused when I saw the first two copies, upon seeing the third I laughed out loud.

if thats a recommendation, ich habe die verwandlung auf deutsch gelesen (aber meine deutsch war - und ist - nicht sehr gut) und habe der process auf english gelesen.

du kannst sehen das nicht - aber das buch, der uber meinen deutschwortbuch (1st pic, bottom-left) ist die verwandlung.

also dw, penguin isnt that bad for the price. try amazon if you want. also sorry for my shitty german

Yeah, it's a recommendation; Kafka is an easy enough read, you don't need any specialized vocabulary. Also, how is Ada? I thoroughly enjoyed Lolita and Pale Fire. Is it as good?

I recommend buying some goddamn bookshelves

>yfw

1/2

2/2

haven't read all of them, if I'm being honest, but I hope to soon

in my view - it doesnt have the humour of pf or the beauty of lolita. id much more recommend pnin (quite short) if you havent read that.

These threads are hilarious because it's literally ONE shelf. None of you have a full bookcase? I have 2 whole bookshelves filled up, 3 if you count my girlfriend's books too.

dont be mean please

1/2

2/2

How come nobody stacks their books horizontally on their shelves? It saves space and makes the titles easier to read.

holy...... I want more

what an absolute meme shelf

Which ones have you actually read? Why are they not deserving of the praise that made then memes in the first place? Genuinely interested in your opinion, user. Maybe they are memes for a reason.

you should get a better translation of the bible. I'd recommend KJV. NRSV isnt bad if you get the oxford annotated bible.

I agree with this. I would also say everyone should have a kjv and a nrsv oxford.

>nobody getting this tongue in cheek joke

How is "the essential canon of classical music"? Just checked amazon and it looks interesting, but I want to know what you think.

>saves space
Depends on the proportions of the books.

this is my new shelf

very good because im a classical music pleb and i sort of wanted to know the quintessential works by the quintessential composers - it is pretty exhaustive. there are very few composers before 1970 or after 1600 who he missed and you'd know pretty well

Great, thanks very much. I'm in the same boat and have never really known where to start.

Does he specifically name works by the composers as suggested listening?

is "Mythology of the Secret Societies" any good? is it academic/historical/sociological--or is it more barnes and level noble, new-agey stuff?

also, pretty nice collection--what do you study? italian-related things?

great fiction collection. are you a lit student?

if you had to distill a single lesson from all that you've read, what would it be?

kys

sorry for shitty camera

Am I cheating if I post my fathers
it's bout 60 meters or more

Don't ask me how I know, but I get the feeling you're a fan of Joyce?

>The Fault in Our Stars

Oh.

Pnin is already in the mail. I've read a lot of praise for Ada on here, but never anything specific.

too bad, since pnin really sucks.

Don't you have a nuzlocke to be losing

>recommending a protestant bible

I have a kjv bible, this was given to me when i was confirmed at my catholic school

Can't be any worse than the last book I read.

Ok, you baited me, what is the last book you read?
You're an attention whore.

it's good. peters is great and incredibly well educated. i read his history of the world and checked out what else he had written. it's very sober. neither making fun of the masons, nor saying they control the world; just going through what their real history looked like. i just like italian things. not a student. trying to be a writer.

If that's true, the person who decided to hand out Protestant Bibles at a Catholic school needs to be fired immediately.

what's a good version of the catholic bible user

Not him but i think the didache is a good one

Just got her a new through the looking glass with an Elinor Abbot plate in it.

Sam and Dean visit the set of which horror film while hunting a vengeful spirit?

nice waifu fag

She couldn't remember but said that dean turned into a fangirl cause an actress there was in other stuuf he liked.

Some of you call yourself Veeky Forums but don't own any books. I don't understand this. Are you using only library cards for your books?

Is this enough?

Got enough of art of the deal?

Two small shelves

if we took away all the sff, then no

Is that Charls

Is that edition of the Three Kingdoms any good?

he might describe half a dozen works with descriptions/critique/context and then list a dozen other works (with the recordings he recommends as well !)
minor composers might receive only the latter.

>Pnin is already in the mail. I've read a lot of praise for Ada on here, but never anything specific.
ignore this rumble-twatted robert. hes just upset he cant connect with nabakovian humour.

t. east asiaboo

>NRSV
Gross

Why not just get the older and better RSV Oxford annotated? NRSV is a shit SJW bible

Nigga I can't see shit.

ha the illimunatus trilogy, what did you think about it?

one is missing

Do you have "Our Exagmination Round His Factification for Incamination of Work in Progress"? I can't see it. Would be PRETTY sad if you didn't.

wow very smart Veeky Forums posters congratulations

That's some big books you have there.

For you

What r ur thots on capital and why. What other educational books describing major scientific studies r out there?

Was actually about to make a separate thread for this; best translation for Genji?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Genji#English_translations

Waley for casual readers, Tyler for academic purists. I prefer Waley because I am not a purist and believe that the book should be read in what form it can best be enjoyed.

It is my Asian shelf, though I did sneak some Shakespeare onto it because it fit nicely.

Nice selection.
How is that edition of RoTK?

If I were buying now in 2017, I'd buy the new Yu Sumei translation. At the time I bought it, Sumei's didn't exist yet, so Roberts' served me well enough, but it's a rough read, owing partly to the content and partly to the translation.

What is the difference?

Sumei's translation is easier to read and more approachable. The prose is more massaged for English readers.

Is there anything wrong with the Roberts translation in particular?

Gaunt's Ghosts. I have it on my genre fiction TBR list. I suppose I should get to it.

Where did you pick up the Canterbury Classics bound editions? Amazon?

>The Nine
What made you buy this? Did you read it?

It's hard to read. I think that's something wrong with it.

for

What exactly is hard about it?

The language, phrases of speech, and sentence structure.

Years ago at a borders books

Honestly,that seems like the cheapest option.
And it's pretty.
And it's not like I can't read english.
At least I will train my brain a bit.
(And it's seems to be partitioned in a comfortable way)
Any comments on the build quality?