Go to farmer's market

>go to farmer's market
>everything is considerably more expensive than the grocery store
>where most things are grown locally anyway
What the fuck is the point of the farmer's market?

its like a church replacement for libcucks

Hippies get to sniff their own farts there, as if they don't already do that constantly.

my local famers market is way cheaper than the grocery store, especially for stuff like fresh herbs and berries

also at my local supermarket very little produce is locally grown and even if it is locally grown it still may not be fresh

You're cutting out the middleman and supporting the local farmers directly.

If I gave my farmer some middlemen, would he be cheaper

You could try haggling.

It actually depends which one you go to and when. The more popularized ones with lots of other stuff (live music, kettle corn, i.e. stuff that has nothing to do with produce) will cost more because they are sort of a mini-event. Other farmer's markets (or those on weekdays vs weekends) actually have much cheaper prices.

the purpose of a farmer's market is to take pictures that get likes on instagram.

Farmers markets are where the farmers finally get the chance to jew you.
The only selling point is the
>you're directly supporting me

You haggle with the gypsies dude.

>go to farmer's market
>they just imported their produce from some other place anyway

JUST

The farmer's market nearest me has really cheap produce. And a lot of great candies.

In my case, the are several things calling themselves "farmer's markets" in my area. Only one of them is an established storefront open daily that sources it's produce from local farmers. It's all very fresh and reasonably priced. Everything else is a once a week event meant to lure in yuppies from the surrounding suburbs to buy overpriced mediocre veg in a downtown area where they can feel cultured.

this

idk where you are going but my farmers market is significantly cheaper, better stocked and higher quality

maybe it's because I live in a rural area

its the only place where i can get my hands on homemade salsa

i got a few jars of peach salsa and it was great

>go to farmer's market
>everything is from walmart

The farmers market in a small town near me has a rule that vendors must grow their produce or meats within a 50 mile radius of the town. Their farms are inspected to ensure this is in fact the case before they are permitted to sell. Some items can be a bit higher, but others are cheaper particularly produce at peak season. I can get a dozen duck eggs for $3.00 and whole chickens raised humanely and trully cage free (I've visited the farm) for $2.00/lb. Quality of meats and produce is always far superior to the grocery.

If only there was somewhere else you could go to get "homemade" products...

Get a better market. A good one will be filled with yelling Asians/Mexicans and will have alleys that smell like Satan's balls.

Could just be your area. The produce at least should be a bit cheaper.

The farmer's market in my area has a bunch of things that the grocery stores don't have though. Raw local honey, fresh turmeric, better cooked foods, they get more seasonal items in, plus having a more personal relationship with the owner helps with some things that you don't really get a bigger grocery store.

It is the only place where you can find tomatoes that are worth eating.

I like getting to talk to the people that make the product they're selling. Most of you are probably too antisocial to enjoy meeting people but that's part of it for me. Also, there's often free samples and local brands I've never heard of before so it's a good way to discover new things. Farmer's markets are comfy when the weather's nice.

>Walk into a farmer's market
>They have bananas

It's just a talking point for upper middle class women

it allows small farmers making an actuall living out of their work, instead of working their ass of for nothing

>Go to farmer's market
>Get ~5lb. of local organic strawberries for $7 and a week's worth of fresh bread and pastries for $10

Sounds like you suck at shopping.

I think this varies based on the farmers market. I'm not sure how it is in cities, but where I live, you get amazing deals if you buy in bulk, especially if you get to know the farmers. Great if you're into canning or such.

Also, are you making the mistake of paying full price? Because they start with a price that's too high, because you're expected to haggle. That's half the fun.

It's cheaper retard

You probably don't even eat fresh produce so don't waste your time going.

>What the fuck is the point of the farmer's market?
If you're lucky you can find good shit like elk sausage and deer jerky and other such things you wouldn't typically find at a store.

My farmers market turned into a shitty physical manifestation of etsy though, with everybody selling new-age retarded shit.

Only non-stupid response so far.

My dad and brother are fucking great hagglers. I never could get good at it

Farmers are heavily subsidized by the government anyway for the produce they grow.

What they grow and sell has little distinction from that destined for supermarkets either.

Farmers markets are a meme. You go go to normal, every day markets for quality and value

my nearest farmer's market has really varied prices. some products are more expensive, some a lot cheaper

hah, reminds me of the gang hits the road episode of it's always sunny in philadelphia

>this user lives in a town so retarded they have to have a farmer's market regulatory council instead of just letting the farmers gather wherever they want and sell stuff

by the way I am naturally assuming you are retarded as well since you would suffer from whatever local anomaly causes such stupidity if you can understand the words I am saying to you even

>go to farmers market
>see 18 dollar 3lb chickens
turn 360 degrees and moonwalk away.

Are you retarded or just home schooled? Many of the complaints about them stem from uncontrolled access where scumbags buy produce from a grocery and sell it for a markup.

>farmer's market complaint division

>Walk outside my local "farmer's market" one early morning.
>Single van pulls up, stocks up 5 stalls.
>One guy signs for it.
>Live in UK,
>Half the shit is direct import from Spain.
That's the local "Farmer's market" in an average city in UK. To get a real farmer's market at actual farmer's market prices, I have to go to friggin' villages. Damn farmers need to learn some capitalism.

My town has a farmer's market regulations bullshit.
This is what results from it:
The places I've been to where farmer's markets were doing the best had the least amount of regulations

>a wholesaler drops off a truckload of produce to various vendors
>that's because the farmers market was regulated with physical inspection of the vendors' farms and a market manager was onsite to ensure only authorized vendors sold produce from their farms

Damn son, brain damage really does have serious consequences to rational thought, doesn't it?

heirloom veggies, fagt

Except, you know, at home.

Produce at farmers markets here in Colorado are generally 15 to 50 percent more expensive than regular grocery stores. It's crazy.

I usually just go to Sprouts/Henrys with about $20 and can get enough meat AND organic produce to last me a week.

I'm sorry you live near hipsters. I live in WV surrounded by rednecks. They want a sale, so they sell cheaper than wally world.
I get a dozen eggs, farm fresh for 50 cents, a lb of grass fed beef for 2 dollar, apples are a dollar a lb etc. The meat is on the hoof and alive though so you have to spend more.

holy shit thats gotta be the best way to rip hipsters off
Make some bullshit up about your organic farm, sell apples for 5 bucks a lb that you got for 2 etc.

if you can find one at a giant flea market, it may be cheap. the farmers market at the flea market by my house had super cheap stuff. after that, every flea market i have been to since has been over priced yuppie bullshit

>Going to farmer's market
>Not living on a actual farm

pfffft

>instead of getting subsidies from the US gov't to grow inedible corn for ethanol
>instead of getting subsidies from the US gov't to not grow anything at all
>instead of getting subsidies from the US gov't simply because your agEcon diploma mill didn't actually teach you how to run the business your paw-paw left you as an inheritance.

small-time farmers are the worst type of welfare queen.

That's because you're going to the hipster organic hippie farm market sponsored by the local group of rich people where everything is more expensive and you get to meet the farmers.
Maybe you should try going to the regular farm market.