Learning German

How should I go about learning German.
Can anyone recommend a complete study book or learning resource I can use?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G5IPArDxO40
deutschlandfunk.de/unsere-live-streams.2396.de.html
daserste.de/live/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=fc-DgRO1SrQ
doppeltext.com/en/bilingual-books/132/kafka-die-verwandlung/german-english#
eschoolsy.net/Downloads/ethraa/german/hammer_s_german_grammar_and_usage_-_5th_ed_-_indexable.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Not learning arabic instead

You might want to try /int/. There's probably some more people there that could help you.

Been learning for a year. I can't help ya because the materials I used are geared for Spanish speakers. The grammar is quite hard but it's a fun language, and there's a lot of great literature in it. Ich wünsche dir viel Glück!

>/int/
That board is nothing but autistic shitposting. You're better off getting help on fucking /pol/ than you are on /int/.

¿Que material es? Interesa.

Hast du schon deutsche Literatur gelesen?

Nicht so viel, Ich habe meist Kinderbuche gelesen lol. Aber ich habe Mann, Kafka, Goethe und Grass auf Englisch oder Spanisch gelesen. Ich studiere Philophie so natürlich habe ich auch viel übersetze deutsche bucher gestudiert.
Jeztz lese ich nochmal die kurze Geschichte von Kafka.

Mein Ziel ist Hölderlin zu lesen können, aber es geht langsamer als ich gedach hatte. Denoch kein Stress, Ich habe viel Spaß mit ihre Sprache.

Ich finde es großartig wenn Leute Deutsch lernen, weil oft (vorwiegend Amerikaner) behauptet wird, Deutsch ist eine unästhetische Sprache.

Yo he utilizado la gramática de Programm y la verdad es que la recomendaría para hispanohablantes. Super completo y lleno de ejemplos, además te va a servir para todos los niveles de alemán desde 0 a más avanzado. Yo tengo el libro físico pero seguro que puedes encotrar un pdf sin problemas. La página web de la Deutsche Welle tiene muchos contenidos interesantes para gente que aprende alemán, sobre todo audiovisuales. Además es 100% gratuita.

duolingo.com

Bitte

dw.com has a good series of courses aimed at refugees to get the basics down.

yourdailygerman

wiktionary

/int/

Naja, es klingt nicht so slecht für mich (besser als Englisch oder Dutch z.b) aber ich höre romänische oder slawische Sprache lieber als Deutsch.
Für mich das schönste (und kompliziertesten) Ding im Deutsche sprache ist Grammatik. Es ist ein super präsize Sprache, und agglutinierenden Sprachbau finde ich immer interessant. Darum hat Heidegger gestagt man kann nur Philosophie auf Deutsch oder Altgriechisch schreiben.

>learning german

Na dann mal viel Glück mein Freund...

Watch this video.

youtube.com/watch?v=G5IPArDxO40

hey thanks for this. Not that user, but this was nice info :)

We use Kaleidoskop for our intermediate class. Wie Geht's was the beginner text we used.

Don't bother with textbooks, none of them is really complete and once you are finished with one what will you do? You don't know what pieces of the languages you still need, and you don't know where to go from there. Going to other textbooks will result in both overlapping and missing pieces.

Rather, just study a grammar. One of the most revered in English is Hammer's German Grammar and Usage. While you are studying Hammer, memorize the 5000 most common words with Anki or Memrise (there are pre-made decks).

Once you have finished this (but you could start on the first day, and I actually recommend it), start reading easy german texts with some device that lets you translate any word just by clicking on it (since you are going to do this a lot at first) - it may be a Kindle, or a site like readlang.com

start with the Greeks

Como aprendes vocabulario fagoto?

I'll tell you what I did to get to A2 level.

Over the past six months I've worked through Beginner and intermediate grammar books, the one you posted, coupled that with duolingo, memrise and clovemaster. I also watched some German movies, listened to German music and did my best to read German news.

I spent at most half an hour a day, very little. I'm aiming for reaching B1 by June so I can take the goethe certificate. What I'm gonna do is review the grammar I learned and keep improving on vocabulary with the apps. I'm also reading the stories from a collection I've found "German graded readers". I noticed I understand around 60-70% of a B1 text, I recommend you find that and practice with it, it also has the audio for the stories. I'll also dedicate more time to learning, one hour a day is enough I believe.

Tengo dos amigas alemanas y hablo con ellas. Leer con un ereader ayuda mucho también. Además hay muchísimo buen cine en alemán. Básicamente aprendo por inmersión. Hay gente que usa anki y listas de palabras. Yo no tengo la paciencia necesaria pero seguro que si eres capaz de hacerlo un hábito aprendes rápido
Ahora bien no hay sustituto para hablar con un nativo IMO

April Wilson's book German Quickly is really good and pretty based in that lots of its exercises have you translating the bible, brothers Grimm, Kleist, and some Nietzsche.

Once you're done with that and have a grasp of grammar I suggest you read some non-stylistic authors like Durrenmatt or Hesse. If you are B level they should be no problem besides vocabulary. After them you can move on to Kafka and if you feel comfortable with him try some Goethe or Mann.

At least you're learning a language with quite a bit of learning material surrounding. It is so hard to find a book or learning material for Bosnian.

>Bosnian
Excuse me if I'm being dumb, but isn't that basically Serbo-croatian?

German is easy to learn , especially the reading. Spesking is BS and it pisses me of. I'm moving to the German border so I should improve but it's impossible to know the gender of everything.

>Hölderlin
es lohnt sich

Deutschlandfunk (a buch of 50 year old journalists making top tier info radio and playing jazz with no one listening. All on the government's dime of course)
deutschlandfunk.de/unsere-live-streams.2396.de.html

ARD (German state television)
daserste.de/live/index.html

if you wanna read literature start with the 20th century.

>6 months to get to A2 level

Isn't A2 equivalent to being able to fill out a form or something? What the hell is wrong with you? Change your learning strategy because you don't seem to be accomplishing anything.

You don't know what those levels mean or how to read a post on Veeky Forums.

Change your living strategy because you don't seem to be accomplishing anything.

Struck a nerve, did I?

You should be reading novels after six months of studying a language as easy as German. Your pace might be acceptable for Mandarin or Sanskrit, but for German you should feel embarrassed.

>How should I go about learning German
you don't
it's a stupid, useless language

if you already know english and spanish, learn french, mandarin or russian

Du musst deutsche Lieder hören, OP

youtube.com/watch?v=fc-DgRO1SrQ

>it's a stupid, useless language
nur wenn du ein Plebejer bist

If you want to want to improve your "reading skills", read books or newespaper,the newspaper I would choose FAZ[Frankfurt Allgemeine Zeitung], if you want an german imageboard go on Krautchan.net Viel Erfolg

You're stupid.

Ich hoffe Deutschland stirbt aus. Wir sind eh nur Untermenschen im Vergleich zu den göttlichen Flüchtlingen die meine Frau ficken. Wir müssen uns ihnen unterwerfen.

nice

Wie geht es, /pol/?

>non linguam Latinam discere

Try to learn German for a year, when you give up switch to French instead.

As a man who's visited Germany annually since 1989 this post made me sad

>Nicht so viel, Ich habe meist Kinderbuche gelesen lol. Aber ich habe Mann, Kafka, Goethe und Grass auf Englisch oder Spanisch gelesen. Ich studiere Philophie so natürlich habe ich auch viel übersetze deutsche bucher gestudiert.
>Jeztz lese ich nochmal die kurze Geschichte von Kafka.
>
>Mein Ziel ist Hölderlin zu lesen können, aber es geht langsamer als ich gedacht hatte. Dennoch kein Stress, Ich habe viel Spaß mit ihre Sprache.

Halbherzige Verbesserung von einem Deutschen. Wünsche dir weiterhin viel Erfolg beim lernen der Sprache. Ich bin froh das Deutsch meine Muttersprache ist. Englisch zu lernen war für mich einfach weil es ja so oder so die Sprache des Internets ist. Deutsch als Zweitsprache zu lernen stelle ich mir sehr schwer vor.

Nicht so viel, Ich habe meist Kinderbücher gelesen, lol. Aber ich habe Mann, Kafka, Goethe und Grass auf Englisch oder Spanisch gelesen. Ich studiere Philosophie also habe ich natürlich auch viel übersetze deutsche Bücher studiert.
Jetzt lese ich nochmal die Kurzgeschichte von Kafka.

Mein Ziel ist Hölderlin lesen zu können, aber es geht langsamer als ich gedacht hatte. Dennoch kein Stress, Ich habe viel Spaß mit ihre Sprache.

>Halbherzige Verbesserung von einem Deutschen.
Vielen Dank user, das hilft mir sehr.

This guy is on point. This is also how you learn pretty much any western language.

>Once you have finished this (but you could start on the first day, and I actually recommend it), start reading easy german texts with some device that lets you translate any word just by clicking on it (since you are going to do this a lot at first) - it may be a Kindle, or a site like readlang.com

I recommend Lingoes for this.

OP here, I am glad this thread developed some useful discourse. I appreciate all responses.

What native books might you all recommend to read in German. (Not baby learning shit, just a usual book)

Any German historybros in here?

When I'm still learning a language, I like reading academic prose because it's level and professional. I like history the most.

Could anyone recommend some good German historians to read? Of Rome, the Middle Ages, anything really.

There's this guy called Adolf Hitler who wrote a solid, level-headed academic account of the social problems facing Germany in the inter-war period, I recommend starting there.

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

Junge, hast du schonmal ein Komma gesehen?

golo mann
he's a bit dated but his prose is beautiful

also Ernst Nolte, he was an outsider in the scientific community for most of his time, but if you want something moderately /pol/, go for Nolte.

Du kack Ausländer lern ma richtig deutsch sonst rappelts im Karton

Francais > Deutsche

Je m'excuse, mais je doit t'opposer
Deutsch ist eine großartige Sprache

t. multilingo

Not a "serious" history, but if you are still learning it may be what you need to get you started:

Eine kurze Weltgeschichte für junge Leser by Ernst Gombrich

As the title says, it's for kids, but it has a lot of fans among adults too, and I've heard many people say that it is what rekindled their passion for history.

dumb frogposter

dois*

mein Tagebuch desu

FYI, there's a free bilingual version of The Metamorphosis (also available as an ebook)
doppeltext.com/en/bilingual-books/132/kafka-die-verwandlung/german-english#

eschoolsy.net/Downloads/ethraa/german/hammer_s_german_grammar_and_usage_-_5th_ed_-_indexable.pdf
Someone mentioned Hammer's grammar book, here's a link.

Last year I started learning german by myself, primarily by reading books. Right now I am reading "Der Name der Rose", a little bit above my current level t b h