Does anyone know how freezing affects the woolly bear caterpillar's brain? I.e...

Does anyone know how freezing affects the woolly bear caterpillar's brain? I.e. what happens to its consciousness; does a new consciousness occur when it unfreezes? If consciousness is only the electrical processes which go on in the brain, and if brain activity ceases when the caterpillar is frozen, then wouldn't its consciousness start all over again? Would it still have its past memories? Or at least any awareness of its life before being frozen?

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, the woolly bear caterpillar literally freezes to death over the winter and reanimates once temperature rises again. It doesn't sustain damage to its cells to to an antifreeze it produces.

I'm asking this because I started to wonder if humans would come back with the same consciousness and memories if they were cryogenically frozen. I guess this is more of a philosophical question, but I believe the woolly bear caterpillar may yield some answers.

welcome to consciousness 101.

Don't worry, when you'll hit puberty in a couple of years you'll get over it and start thinking about other more mundane things.

P.S. tonight when you go to sleep you will die and tomorrow someone else with your memories will wake up. Another consciousness so to speak.

It's still the same animal and still has the same memories.

Do you even know how brains work? Memories have very little to do with consciousness, and much more with the brain.

are you implying fucking caterpillars have consciousness?

Of course they do.

are you high?
they belong to the category of living things which don't even need a brain (or head for that matter) to continue being alive for a week or so

>Memories have very little to do with consciousness, and much more with the brain.

what the fuck is that sentence supposed to mean.

That's like saying "files have very little to do with software and much more with hard disks".

people who compare biological brains to computers need to be fucking gassed

protip: you have 0 (read as: zero) arguments as to why my comparison is not valid.

files are abstract manifestations that emerge from a conceptual arrangement of bits. Just like memories are abstract manifestations that emerge from a conceptual arrangement of neurons.

software is an abstract manifestations that emerges from a conceptual order of instructions. Just like consciousness is an abstract manifestations that emerges from a conceptual interaction of neural networks.

The hard disk-brain analogy was solely based on them being a material objects that holds the organizational information leading to the immaterial manifestations.

tl;dr you got BTFO

depends what you mean my consciousness. Caterpillers don't have a brain like humans, they have ganglia (a bunch of nerve cells) at key points in their body.

Most if not all of what they do is intrinsic (doesn't need to be learnt) so they just react to the environment and don't learn and ajust their behaviour based on past experiences.

So after unfreezing the caterpiller should be exactly the same, but with humans, we learn things and damage to the brain causes memory loss and changes to personality.

If the brain could be safely frozen, causing no damage then it makes sence that there would be no change to the perons personality and memories, which could be considered the things that make up consiousness.

Some animals rely mostly on instincts. Same way you will always know how to breathe.

Prove it.

Is a ship still the same ship if I replace all the wood?
If it is how can it be if all the orginal wood has been replaced?
If it isn't when does it stop being the original ship, more than 50%, the first plank?

this shit right here is why we need a philosophy board, I can't stand you fucks

kys retard

nice comeback...... NOT!

>muh human exceptionalism

>so robotically autistic he thinks he's a computer
kek what are the chances you're still in highschool

I feel like sufficient materials technology would be able to solve the "Ship of Theseus" conundrum. After all, it really only "matters" with consciousness.

If you were to create an exact duplicate of a brain, did you create a new consciousness or a forking point for a single consciousness? It's a common question when people talk about getting cybernetic brain augmentations or whatever. If you wanted to replace your brain with a machine, how would you know it was still you afterward? The given solution seems to be "keep the person conscious through the entire conversion" but until it happens we don't know if that works either.

They do have a brain though.
It's the logical conclusion of panpsychism, the only reasonable answer to the hard problem.

Well OP seemed to be implying that memories are somehow stored in consciousness itself, and not in the brain. To stick with your analogy: just because you turn a computer off and then on again doesn't mean the entire hard disk is wiped.

What is the reasonable answer to the hard problem?

That all things with brains are conscious? How does that answer the hard problem?

>They do have a brain though.
a brain that isn't essential to their bodily functions
it processes sensory input and that's that

just because you turn a computer off and then on again doesn't mean the entire hard disk is wiped.

of course not. I was baiting OP.

Yeah nice job on being a fucking high school retard.

First off we're not talking about a ship(hint, you're speaking of a completely different philosophical concept)

The memories of the wbc remain because they haven't been wiped and all of the wcb cells are still present in it's body.

Now as to your questions, philosophy is retarded and I can answer your questions in whatever way I want and you have 0 arguments to disprove me whatever I say

>caterpillars
>conscious

I'm with him, you should kill yourself. That way a new consciousness will wake up in another universe. Seriously you've watched too much pop sci garbage.