Teaching a graduate course on persuasion in marketing/business/advertising this spring, looking for suggestions

teaching a graduate course on persuasion in marketing/business/advertising this spring, looking for suggestions.

has anyone here studied business/advertising? any good recommendations for more applied and commercial and commercial books? more theoretical and historical takes are also welcome, but this is a business course, so the more technical/"best practices" literature is what i'm aiming for.

pic related, the reading list i'm drawing selections from so far (minus all printed articles). would be happy to scan in and upload any of the shown books, btw.

your best bet would be posting to Veeky Forums

i actually didnt realize there was a board for that, thanks...

Start with the Greeks

Orwell's Essay on Politics and the English language is a must-read for things like this.

Did someone say persuasion?

I'd love to see some of your other bookshelves to get a list of what you've got OP.

unfortunately that is the only bookcase i have that offers business/advertising-related material. did you mean other books?--if so, what subject interests you? i teach a number of subjects, ranging from american history to political theory to jurisprudence to military strategy, etc., and i have a good sense of whats worth reading in a number of sub-disciplines, so if its a particular "list" you're looking for, let me know and i can recommend whatever, if you're interested

It all sounds so good. I could honestly go for all of those categories that you've listed and I love going through the collections of other people. What is your academic background by the way?

ok--i sorta have a lotta books (disclosure--have certainly not read them all, nor even close; i own mainly a reference library, where i will take an essay or chapter from many of my books for teaching purposes or to cite, etc.) so ima take a while posting

my academic background? i studied political science and mathematics undergrad, and now teach/study political science at the grad level. along with my graduate work, however, i've also worked in the business realm (stock trading) and political (currently do remote work for a political PR firm in DC). what about you?

here's the beginning of some random uncategorized theory/history/religion

Take your time. This will definitely be one of the threads I check for advice/sheer interest.

Le basic undergrad studying Political Science, Philosophy, and International Studies mainly. Preparing for Law School and eventually looking into PhD programs.

Looks good. Feel free to keep them coming and hopefully other people will gain some interest from this thread as well.

I also own a few shelves and definitely have books that I use for select passages.

are you definitely going to law school? what do you hope to study? and why the thrust to pair it with a PhD?
wanna post your set? i'm always looking to expand...

oh and i forgot to offer: especially if you're another academic, or just even academically inclined, i truly love teaching/sharing knowledge and would gladly scan in a chapter/essay/story/maybe even entire book if you spot something you don't have access to and want to read

i'm getting tired so that's all for tonight--if you'd like, i'll continue posting at some point tomorrow/through the weekend. again, would love to see your collection at some point, too

Preparing for the LSATs soon. Interested in a number of things including Constitutional Law, Human Rights, International Law and Organisations, and IP among other things.

The Law Degree will hopefully also be used to give me a bit of fallback/security in terms of jobs and the fact that my family is overbearing and insistent that I already have my life planned out by now.

Right now I'm suffering from a department head who only values quantitative research and the department doesn't even really have any acceptance towards theory. That being said, Philosophy has given me more room to approach the political and that department has professors that have been more supportive of my work.

I don't really have that much and most of it is just your standard fare. When I'm with my shelves I might snap some pictures if I think about it though for you.

I also have books laying around me on stacks and tables and everywhere so I could always just list whatever I'm currently looking at, especially in terms of my course load. I'm always looking for article suggestions or anything else. I honestly feel like I'm never properly read in terms of the literature more generally speaking. Looking at academia as at least a part of my future plus I have supportive professors that want me to start working on publishing in scholarly journals.

last question before i sleep: what topics within philosophy/political theory interest you the most? who are your greatest influences?

Hopefully I catch you before you head to sleep. Off the top of my head I'd have to say things like deterrence, aid, poverty, development, international organisations, justice, morality, ethics, environmentalism, rights, and various other topics that would come up if I was further pressed. Technology, cultural studies, East Asia, The Middle East, and various other topics that often are more interdisciplinary.

I'd say philosophers influence me insofar as I'm not yet committed to certain schools of thought or the works of specific authors. I'm more of the person who sees myself as in communication with every author I've read and often find myself writing in response to works I find either agreeable or bothersome.

In terms of authors that have currently influenced what subjects I think about and my own ways of thinking I'd have to briefly list a few: Hobbes, Nussbaum, Rawls, John Mearshimer, Waltz, Michael Sandel, and numerous others. I just recently picked up my philosophy minor even though it has always been an interest of mine.