Which scientific books (any field) have changed your way of seeing things or thinking?

Which scientific books (any field) have changed your way of seeing things or thinking?

Most of the stuff by Umberto Eco. No shit, his research, and what he does with it, is very good. Not exactly STEM, but related and impressive.

Also 'Biochemistry' by Stryer, and the 'Biochemical Pathways' posters by Boehringer (yes, the company).

And what blows my mind every time is identifying a star in the nightly sky and then looking up its wikipedia entries.

But writing a thesis on your own is what forms your mind and your ability of critical thinking the most.

The selfish Gene by Dawkins

"Essential readings in biosemiotics"
Favareau
Changed by worldview, after you get past the "philosophical rigor"

really nigga?
Dawkins is trash, he made some contributions sure, but he's a fool. Based on his research I won't read his books.

I know is latter works on religion (which I positively don't give a shit about) have rustled some jimmies but calling a man that made some of the biggest progress in evolutionary biology in the 20th century "trash" will only expose you as someone that doesn't know what they are talking about

his*

No I just think the gene center veiw of evolution is complete trash. The extended phenotype is imporant. So is Dawkins, undeniably. He still gets cited all the pooping time. I just don't agree with his views on evolution.

You're right though, I really should read his books. I just felt like flaming Dawkins.
Him being wrong is an important contribution in the quest for truth.

Well now you're making it interesting

that books is just obnoxious atheist propaganda.

"Why life is the way it is?" by Nick Lane covers the same ideas but better and without the pedantic tone.

Chemistry: The Central Science
University Physics with Modern Physics
Organic Chemistry
Thermal Physics
Elementary Solid State Physics
Classical Mechanics

The Bibble

So, becoming a freshman changed your world?

Later books are more of the same.

Introduction to Mathematical Statistics by Robert V. Hogg
How to Solve It by George Polya
The C Programming Language by K&R

Popsci presentation of Williams, Hamilton etc is "biggest progress in evolutionary biology?"

>Why life is the way it is
Physics and Maths textbooks.

Well yeah I worded it badly it's more the idea behind it that I wanted to qualify not the fact that Dawkins made it known.

I really don't care for the man, I know he is cleaving but I was honestly answering the question of OP, that book DID change my view on things. I must confess I never read another book from Dawkins so I must miss out on why he is so hatred

[spoiler]INVASION?[/spoiler]

Well, Dawkins is a professor emeritus in Public Understanding of Science. What did you expect?

Selfish Gene isn't atheist propaganda, it's just popsci presentation of evolution.

at least you didnt fail and drop out like me. keep going dude/dudette

Thoreau
Emerson

Pic related