Why do I need one of these? My chef's knife cuts crusty bagels much more cleanly and with less effort

Why do I need one of these? My chef's knife cuts crusty bagels much more cleanly and with less effort.

Because you use less pressure and don't squish the bread. The blade does the work.

Maybe because your knife is not sharp.

All my knives are sharp, but it also depends on the density of the bread noob.

Cutting tomatoes

People who cut tomatoes with serrated knives should be exterminated.

>being a bad chef

That's the point. Only a bad chef would have his main knife so dull that it couldn't properly slice tomatoes.

because most people don't know what sharp means, see "durrrr my knife is sharp but"

Agree with OP, chefs knife should be ok if youre not cutting bread regularly

Although if youre cutting hard bread serrated knifes can work wonders

I use a serrated to cut cake tops off and slice baked goods in general.

Do you bake, OP?

Yes I'm baked right now

I just started my first restaurant job where I feel comfortable bringing in my own knives, and I basically use my chef knife for everything other than fish, which I keep another knife out for.

Everyone else is struggling with the chef/owner's knives (including a nice Shun chef knife), but they're not maintained, and when we're slammed the chef picks up my 10 year old G2 and always comments on how nice it is.

I haven't sharpened it after a month there; all I do is steel it when I get there, and maybe a couple more times throughout the night if I have to catch up on a lot of prep.

Why the fuck don't seasoned pros know how simple it is to maintain an edge that can slice tomatoes, cut a little bread, and juliene 10 pounds of onions without bringing tears to the eyes?

On Veeky Forums I get made fun of for keeping a Global as my main knife, but in a restaurant where everyone supposedly has more experience to me they're all fucking around with 8" butter knives.

Shut up nerd

>mfw I have that exact knife
>sitting in a knife block
>brand new
>unused
>for 8 months.

To be fair, though, I've only used the chef's knife like 3 times. I usually stick to cheap knives because I am scared of killing myself on the good ones. Kind of a waste to get them, in hindsight.

>I usually stick to cheap knives because I am scared of killing myself on the good ones.

wut? I don't understand. Do you think it is better do kill yourself with a cheap knife? If you are concerned that your expensive knives are a lot sharper than your cheap knifes, a dull knife is what is dangerous. With a dull knife, you have to use much more pressure in order to cut something. With a sharp knife, you have much more control and are much less likely to cut yourself.

I should have explained. it's an irrational phobia. I have a fear of blades, including hedge trimmers, bolt cutters, pretty much anything that can easily cause injury that I'm not extremely familiar with (scissors, box cutters, cheap knives, etc)

Sounds like your a punk bitch.

literally just use them and the fear will gradually go away. Fear and phobic thoughts never killed anyone

Everyone has irrational fears. Everyone. It's human nature. A defense mechanism usually triggered by early life trauma. Heights, claustrophobia, dogs, guns, black people. Anyone that says they have none is lying. But if you need to feel tough, keep at it. We all believe you, I promise.

I fear clowns.

Oh, OK. What about things like a slap-chop or the food processor? What about trying to get extremely familiar with your good knives?

This. Clowns creep me the fuck out. I wouldn't say I'm scarred if them, but they make me uncomfortable.