I got a pure math degree. I have no employable skill sets

All of that,

>Analysis
>Algebra
>Geometry
>Logic
>Category theory

etc. is utterly useless.

I cannot get hired anywhere that requires skills. I have to work some min. wage job while I prepare for PhD studies then.

>Get a computer programming job

Yeah, a bootcamp grad is more employable than me. I don't know Node/React/Angular/CSS/HTML.

>Get a non-web dev job

Yeah, they assume you know what data structures are and quiz you on problems from a DS&A class

>Well study Data Structures

Yeah, that takes time and paying bills doesn't care if you """need time""" to study. Sure, it's trivial as a math major to study this, but it takes some reading to learn what linked list and so on are. They don't teach you anything practical in pure math.

WTF. I might as well got a degree in communications.

Welcome to the team. You fell for the pure meme. I got a MSc. in condensed matter physics and I'm working as a technician for local company that builds gastronomy kitchens.

Stop being a bitch, it literally takes at most a week to learn about data structures.

t. another pure math major

I got B. Math & B. Comp Sci.

I fell for the meme. I was hardcore into my pure studies. I made top grades in classes and it means for getting hired. 3 months in a bootcamp means more than 4-5 years of pure math studies. This is despite the fact bootcampers don't really understand programming/software engineering. They can use the latest frameworks and that's all that matters.

What do you recommend work wise user? I found I'm employable anywhere that basically doesn't require a degree. I'll start applying to places like that?

I was going to do a PhD in Math, but decided to switch to CS (I want to still use hardcore math in whatever I do) but I will be more employable at least once finished.

I don't know anything about it. What resource did you use? I picked up a few books and the math is trivial. I already gotten a good handle on Java & now learning Functional Programming on the side.

What are the biggest Data Structures I need to know about?

I am responsible for the data breach in the OPM hack (sometimes in Datastage the rows go into the error log file even if they don't pass to lookup stage to get written into the DB). Despite my impressive resume, I am a homeless bum because no one will give me a job that has anything to do with my unique skills and I am done begging for money.

Literally at that last job at Exide they were running tests on me to see if I could write a TSQL statement to select the first and last day of a month. These fucking brainlets do not even understand that there does exists a small subset of the population of that are not brainlets. The possibility just doesn't even register with them.

t. the world's most successful living physicist.

Well what did you expect, outside of academia that is ?

300k starting like I was promised by Veeky Forums

I dunno'. I was a young brianlet when I decided to become a math major. I was surrounded by professors that spoke of the purity of mathematics and I was trained that any other field is diluted.

Basically we were catered and cut off from the rest of the world. DESU even though I plan to switch fields for a PhD I still find pure math more interesting than any other academic field. It's just I have no support right now. No income. Kind of depressing looking for $7.25/hr jobs.

I'll have some manager that isn't educated as I am and will treat me as if I never went to college.

I was an applied math and chemistry major and I couldn't get a related job either. Now I'm doing a PhD that probably won't get me a rea[spoiler][/spoiler]l job, but at least I have my tiny student stipend.

engineering master race reporting in

Stay in academia and live in poverty, that's what I intend to do.

Yeah, I have to do some prep to get into a CS PhD program, but that is my intention.

>I'll have some manager that isn't educated as I am and will treat me as if I never went to college.
You're spending enough time at your desk pretending to work user.

True. I'm bouncing off to prep.

Fibonacci Heaps? tries? red-black trees?
Heck not for one week without prior knowledge

Kek. You studied for 4 years and not for a second did you think about your career prospects?

You are too retarded to be a math major lol. You should drop that idea of getting a PhD because people smart enough to get a PhD either graduated bachelors with the intellect of a masters student and immediately went on to their PhD, or studied other practical skills on the side and have a 6 figure job lined up on the side.

You are literally the lowest level of math major. Go teach some high school kids, brainlet.

>not becoming an actuary
Jesus.

Why did you morons think that anyone would hire someone to do what computers can for basically free? And the 20 companies that need complex math that can't be done by computers already have people.

Nah, not a brainlet. I decided to switch fields but didn't have enough time to get the CS pre-reqs for a PhD program in CS.

They care much less about what math courses you took, and more about whether you took a programming courses, data structures, operating systems etc.

I went back to school recently to take CS pre-reqs and made a 100 in a 400 level CS course.

Thus continuing the cycle of fucking the next generation. Stay top notch morons.

I'm genuinely planning to off myself. Things just didn't work out.

You are a brainlet because you should have thought about this before graduating. The fact that you made the rant in the OP is solid proof of your 2 digit IQ.

I am a math major too, and do you think that anything you said is some big secret for us? We know all that shit. And I personally think that when I graduate I could hope to immediately hop into graduate studies, but I am still to this day learning more programming and CS, something I started doing since I was like 15. And there are even really great classes inside math departments, like numerical analysis which I plan to take next semester.

There is literally no way to fail in life with a math degree, you just need to pick the right classes. Which you didn't. Tell me, for these past 4 years how have you been picking your classes and redacting your resume?

My classes were based off of interest. I took several courses related to theoretical computer science, but more on the math side less on th CS side.

I need to take more applied CS courses and enrolled at a university to take CS pre-reqs. Several professors told me what sort of CS classes I need and I started taking them. I aced all of my CS classes so far.

Over the summers I did internships but mostly in analytic kind of roles. I hated it. I don't wish to become a data scientist.

My aim is to get a programming internship over the summer and finishing CS courses to get into a PhD program.

As a pure math major I took classes that really don't relate to CS. The ones I took relate more to the mathy side. Even my research (in math) doesn't relate that much to what I want to do.

Pure math for the honey
Applied math for the money

Everyone knows that. Even Terence Tao learned Java in college. In his website he has a couple of programs. So always remember

Pure math for the honey
Applied math for the money

Good advice. I still study pure math on the side kek. It's true that if you do math, moving into CS is easy

Did you do any research or interships? I worked at google on a path optimization workshop over the summer and my speciality is as pure as snow.

I was in the same position as you after undergrad. I survived as a tutor for a couple of years, and in the meantime I took the first one of those actuary tests. I got the highest score on the test and still couldn't even get an internship as an actuary.

After 2 years of just tutoring and failing to get an actuary job, I started grad school.

Why did you hate those analysis internships? Seems like a comfy job where I'm standing but I don't really know shit about it.

god you are fucking pathetic and deserve to be unemployed

you didnt gain any knowledge outside your little degree bubble and expected to be handheld everything through your courses

go fuck yourself

how the fuck did you manage to never learn how to program during a math degree? i just finished my math bachelor's in 3 years and i know 7 programming languages.

This is why I'm supplementing myself with Stats courses and hoping that those classes will help me find something afterwards.

I read that you have better chances if you take the first two.

>minimum wage is $7.25 an hour on your state
wow it must suck to live in the 3rd world.

should have done engineering

Probably true I guess. As a math major the first one was easy. I just had to learn a little bit of probability theory which I hadn't studied before, but it was all easy.

I glanced at the material for the second test and it was about economics or some shit I had no interest in.

Why don't you look for research jobs? There are plenty of private companies that have R&D departments that employ mathematicians. Failing that, just become a math teacher/tutor. The jobs are there, you just have to know where to look.