Is Notes from Underground a suitable starting point for Dostoevsky?

Is Notes from Underground a suitable starting point for Dostoevsky?

Yeah, it's a shorter novel and you get a pretty good idea of his writing style and characters.

between it and the gambler which on is the best for starting onto dosto?

Notes is the superior novel, go with it.

He was going senile and broke when Gambler was written, i think...

Gambler is one of his worst. Not terrible, but it doesn't have a place in the canon for a reason. Notes is pretty good, start with that.

I mean I started with C&P and it doesn't take too long to get used to. Just keep track of all the nicknames

I started with Notes from Underground. About to read The Brothers Karamazov

I started with the double and plan to read notes from the underground next before starting criminal punishment

I'd say so. It's pretty fucking dense though

yeah sure

It was for me. I just finished it about two days ago and I'm on "Crime and Punishment" now. I'm not sure if I'm going to go straight to more Dostoyevsky after this or if I'll go read some Kafka or Joyce first.

>be poor fag
>only copy of notes in my library is scribbled completely down by some legit lunatic
I've read the idiot and c&p, but the babble was just too distracting for me to finish.

I didn't find it to be dense. I thought it was a nice brisk read once I really got going. I couldn't put it down and I liked the way the anonymous underground man engaged you as a reader. It really pulled me right in, even when I wanted to look away cringing and tell him to stop, "Stop! What are you doing, man? Get a hold of yourself!" I couldn't look away.

Dream of a ridiculous man is the essential starting point with Dosto.

This. Get a version with footnotes and the nicknames become pretty comfy, Rodya > Raskolnikov

what do you think about white night?

The first part is dense because the character is mostly just spouting his philosophy at you, part two is considerably easier.

it's cute.

Notes is fine as a starting point as long as long as it's not also you're stopping point. we have enough pseuds around here thinking Dostoyevsky is Veeky Forums incarnate because the Underground Man is "sooo me"

I started with Brothers Karamazov, and I somewhat regret starting with his best. I would probably start with his earliest works and read chronologically to see how he evolved as an author

The guy from The dream of a ridiculous man is more me than the underground man.

I started with the short story The Eternal Husband, and the unfinished novella Netochka Nezvanovna. I believe both are much more accessible for a newcomer.