"Don Quixote and Sancho get their asses beat LOL"

"Don Quixote and Sancho get their asses beat LOL"

200 pages in and it's starting to get pretty repetitive. Does it get better Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P-D0iXLZWO0&list=PLBD9EC777A7CD519D
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

superficial reader

The 2nd part is generally considered superior by critics (more profound, etc), but I personally thought the whole book incredible.

I gave up on this repetitive shit when I was at page 100 something. Not funny. I regret wasting my money on this Tom and Jerry tier crap.

Ebin thread

Superficial how? I'm reading the book slowly and carefully. I am analyzing Dong Quixote and Sancho's characters as I go along. I actually think the book's pretty good, solid 7/10 so far, but I don't think I can handle 700 pages of this. What am I missing?

You berate it then say it's Tom and Jerry tier. You seem conflicted. Maybe just dumb.
I don't mind you saying DQ is bad, but it's nothing but silly to say that of TaJ.

>Dong Quixote

That's a big cat.

I felt it could have been about 200 pages shorter.

4u

youtube.com/watch?v=P-D0iXLZWO0&list=PLBD9EC777A7CD519D

these get posted often and I think they are a good introduction to understand DQ

That's a nice girl.

I'm a little over 300 pages and loving it. The slapstick shit and absurdity is really funny, and the more serious subplots (like Cardenio, the man who was recklessly curious, etc.) are really good too.

Its also just an extremely light and entertaining read thus far. I'm hoping it gets more "profound" in part 2, which is what I hear, but its still very broadly enjoyable in part 1.

No lie, it takes a while to get better. The inset stories are what make it worthwhile, especially the one about the guy escaping moorish country.

OP here, thank you. That intro video helped a lot, I'm going to read the novel in a different way now.

Also, where can I learn of things like "perspectivism"? I know about concepts like that, concepts like "different perspectives = different realities", but I don't know the words for them or what philosophy has to say about them. I understood the point of the "basin/helmet" scene, but I couldn't really analyze it in-depth because I don't even have an entry-level knowledge of this stuff.

nice videos, thanks.

well that just convince me not read it. apparently its just a commentary of its times disguised in fantastic elements.

What did you think that it was going to be?

>4 two page papers
>midterm
>take home final

Is this a junior/senior level course?

Well stop fucking reading it as an adventure novel and pay attention to the metafictional elements.

Yes it does, the second part is, in my opinion, way better. I don't undestand how you don't enjoy the "mise en abyme". Then again, you are reading a Spanish masterpiece in English.

I read Don Quixote last year and it took me quite some time, but overall it was an enjoyable read. It did feel a bit long-winded at times, so I do understand where OP is coming from, especially if he's doing it for pleasure reading and not obligated to.

The second part is the inferior part, all the heavy lifting of the creation of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza and the cultivation of the core thematic elements happens in the first book. While the second part is far more well structured, it's really just Cervantes unloading on the fans of the first book and the false sequel. It essentially breaks that wonderful self contained creative seal of the first book in order to say "you've all been reading it wrong" for 500 pages.

La libertad, Sancho...

just read an in depth summary online, if youre hating it youre reading for bragging rights so...just cheat

Yeah this is right. There's not much in the second part that isn't an explication of something in the first part, or a dig at folk for misreading the first part etc. So it's great the whole way through, but the second part can just feel like a bit of a rerun at times. But then the story is awesome anyway so
I guess for first time readers it's good to try and look for where Cervantes is mocking the don and where he is satirising Spain, and how he moves between doing both at different times for different reasons. Also how the relationship between Sancho and the don changes, and what this does. Also if you wanna get more of a feel for its heavy literary credentials, google about why people consider it to be one of the first examples of postmodernism, so you can be aware of the metafictional elements and their implications when they come up

I bet she get's on all fours for it.