Just like all of you I want to be a someone who changes our understanding of the world...

Just like all of you I want to be a someone who changes our understanding of the world. I want my name to be mentioned alongside Newton, Einstein, Hawking, etc., but I know that they all had something that I don't have. Going into uni next year to study theoretical physics, but I know I'll never make any real difference. Always "gifted" and way smarter than normie fags, but now beginning to realize that I'm shit compared to the greats. Anyone else feel this way?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GXFSK0ogeg4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The fact that there are smarter people than you in the world is not a tragedy.

Don't feel bad. The greats are like 1 in 300 million. It's like winning the lottery except what you get it a lifetime of dedication and hard-work to see the fruits of your effort finally flower; in exchange you get like a small paragraph in the average history books; or a few books and documentaries about you when you're dead. On the plus side you get to die knowing you helped make humanity and the human race better in some way.

Most of us just get to enjoy life, make our contributions, and die in nameless obscurity however.

Stop being so full of yourself, contribute to your field for humans, and then be happy.

Don't let me shit on your dreams by any means though. People make it to the Olympics every year and greatness if appreciated in every field. If you want to be one of the "Greats" then just work hard, study, and master your craft with hard work and dedication.

A little prayer and faith that your hard work will lead to opportunities for greatness will go a long way as well.

I know what you mean man, i too just want to make some miricale contribution to science, not necessarily for recognition but just to progress humanity onto the next step of understanding, if that makes sense.

Not full of myself, just want to do something with my life

Another thing you have to keep in mind is that "greatness" is a craps shoot as well; for every genius in the history books there was someone out in a field somewhere shoveling shit, growing food, and milking cows simply because of the circumstances of fortune didn't give him the same opportunities these other men had.

youtube.com/watch?v=GXFSK0ogeg4

Then stop wanting and start doing.

Okay mister Marx

>Always "gifted" and way smarter than normie fags, but now beginning to realize that I'm shit compared to the greats. Anyone else feel this way?
Literally everyone on Veeky Forums.

God, I remember when I felt like that. I was so distraught that I'd never be as great a mathematician as Gauss or Leibniz or some other fucker. Here I am proving it by making a shitty post on Veeky Forums, years later. But I don't feel empty or unfulfilled, really.

It's not at all about glory. It would be selfish for you to not make a contribution because you probably won't get famous.

>Just like all of you I want to be a someone who changes our understanding of the world
I don't, I just want to learn about the world around me. The pursuit of discovery should never be for the purpose of fame and legacy.

>Don't let me shit on your dreams by any means though. People make it to the Olympics every year and greatness if appreciated in every field. If you want to be one of the "Greats" then just work hard, study, and master your craft with hard work and dedication.
>A little prayer and faith that your hard work will lead to opportunities for greatness will make absolutely no difference, because every god ever fabricated is of course fictitious.

FTFY.

>I want my name to be mentioned alongside
Never gonna make it. None of the great scientists set out with the goal to become great - knowledge and understanding was their ambition, passion and curiosity was their motivation. Just stop deluding yourself and do something else before you find yourself a middle aged postdoc hating every waking minute of your life. There are many spheres of life you can become great in that don't require the insane amount of sacrifices that come with academic career.

It's more about wanting to advance the species. Just learning for myself isn't really going to allow me to do that. Maybe in an infinitesimally small way. The trouble is not being to tell if your actions are improving the world or not, because for example, the mountain of garbage I'm contributing to simply by sustaining myself could be completely offsetting whatever good my existence may have done. If only I could be sure. I guess I'll just have to "believe in myself"

>I want my name to be mentioned alongside Newton, Einstein, Hawking...

becomes:

>It's more about wanting to advance the species.

Mummy's boy detected.

I have no obligation to progress the state of humanity, I only have a desire to learn about the world in which I exist. In my endeavor for knowledge every concept I grasp is a personal success and a step in the right direction. Unless you happen to stumble upon the answer to one of science's fundamental unanswered questions you will only encounter failure in the long term. Considering the minds who preceded you and the best to come, the odds aren't in your favor.

Is being the most intelligent in a field the same as being the fastest runner in
the world? Abnormally Perfect genetics plus hard work your whole life?
I think I'm way more creative than most people, and I rp that I'm Isaac Newton
or one of the greats making the final logical steps to get to the theory's that
their known for.
Is there really no hope unless your someone like Gauss without even trying...

Oh boy another "waaaaah I'm not physics jesus" thread
Sure am glad to see another of these