Found this in my apartment building's laundry room. Is it a good book to learn C with or is it outdated?

Found this in my apartment building's laundry room. Is it a good book to learn C with or is it outdated?
Currently I just know Java and Python.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL16462912149C15F6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Found this in my apartment building's laundry room.
give it back to it's owner you fucking thief

what's wrong with the people on this board? no sense of morality. go find yourself a bible before learning how to become more a computer autist

There's some bookshelves where people just put books they don't want anymore. I've seen some of the other books on those shelves for years, so I figure this one being lumped there was also no longer wanted and took it.

It's an okay book. I think it's over rated tho.

Bet you can't name something better. C documentation is awful, especially coming from Java which has amazing documentation

C: A Reference Manual
Expert C Programming

>Currently I just know Java

>C documentation is awful

Being hard to master is part of the fun. No one would waste time learning german if it was easy.

youd probably be better off just using a free website to learn

It's outdated, if you want to read it get a more updated version or read a better book. People always post it and idolise it (which ties into their affection towards C) but C as a language is shit and the book is pretty mediocre.

If you have any kind of programming knowledge then you should simply be reading references and documentation. You don't need books for this. If you push any other meme then you're a dumbfuck brainlet.

>Want to learn a programming language?
Read through the the main sections of it's documentation, then immediately work on projects whilst constantly referring to it's documentation and other resources as needed.

C and GMPLib is only real

all you need to learn C is the linux programmer's manual.

And something to explain pointers.

After that you've basically got all the tools you need to use the language.

okay and maybe a modern guide on working with auto-tools, and using other people's C libraries.

Have a link to that manual thing?

It's a great book to read for the historical value, but C has changed in various ways since the book was published and it's widely considered to be fairly outdated now.

Better options these days are:

Programming in C (Kochan)
C Programming: A Modern Approach (King)

I'd also recommend watching the CS50 (Harvard) videos on YouTube relating to the harder concepts (memory management, pointers, etc.) as the sperg that teaches the class explains it very well.

install linux, type man into a terminal, read.

some people also have man page websites up. if you don't want to install linux or cygwin or whatever to use man.

>t. first year bub

Its a great book for the basics of C, lots of hipsters here (and on /g/) don't like it because its so popular, but its one of the best C books there is.

It's actually a pretty good book. A lot of people will say it's hard or other shit but if you actually give it a try you'll see that it starts from basic principles and is actually pretty easy and fun to read.

It teaches an old version (C89) and barely touches on all the undefined behavior you need to be aware of when programming C (if it did the book would double in size).

thus the use of the word "basics"

It's a shit book to learn from, but it's GOAT for reference. Keep it.

It's a bit outdated, but essential. Hopefully you got the pictured version; the pre-ANSI versions didn't auto-destruct and are even more outdated.

>"This book on C is overrated"
>"Yeah well that one is deprecated!"
ITT: stupid faggots who dont understand C itself is deprecated by C++, and the documentation for C++ is very well laid out.

>inb4 your wrong, ect
Nah, im not.

>C itself is deprecated by C++
C and C++ are very different languages, with different strengths. Claiming one is a replacement for the other indicates that you really don't understand either of them.

t. High school student

C's only strength is being able to be compiled into tiny executables. If you have such size constraints pure assembly is almost always better than C.
So pretty much this

C: A Reference Manual (Harbison & Steele) and Modern C (Gustedt) beat it in that by far.

Dr. Archibald has some pretty decent videos that go over the important things.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL16462912149C15F6

then what the fuck do you read if you want to "learn programming?"

is the meme book still SICP?