Hello Veeky Forums, so me and my friends are debating over the correct answer to this IQ test...

Hello Veeky Forums, so me and my friends are debating over the correct answer to this IQ test. There is the official answer to this, and then two valid answers. I will give the two possible answers at the end, but to not bias anyone, I will let you guys figure it out by yourselves first.

DO NOT READ THE ANSWERS IN THE COMMENTS BEFORE FIGURING IT OUT.

On the left you have the question and the available answers are available on the right, choose a number, and the logic behind it that made you chose it.

It's 3. Each color/part combination for each of the 3 different parts and colors is used exactly 3 times.

-1/12

Probably 3, but 7 crossed my mind too.

must be a black triangle: 3,5,7
must have all 3 colors: 3,7
vertical blue bar and horizontal yellow bar already occur in the right column: 3

And of course I mixed up vertical and horizontal
What's it called if you always mix up vert/horiz, left/right , and so on?

I like 7 better than 3, because that way only two colors will be used for the horizontal bars and only two colors will be used vertical bars in each row.

I believe it's called being a retard.

One way of remembering left and right is using your hands. Which hand do you write with? If you're right handed, right is on the side of the hand you write with, left is the other, the inverse is true for left handed people. Can't help you with horizontal and vertical, I have a weird method of remembering, which might not make much sense to others.

But that will leave more than 1 possible answer (even though only one is available from the list that matches it)

True, we would also have to add the restriction that the last element in each row needs to be three different colors in that case. I wonder which one is the official answer.

My logic for being 3 is seperated into three sections:

The triangle's colour is changing in a specific pattern: Black,yellow,blue...
The two first columns have two repeating colours the third doesn't
The last column horizontal and vertical stripes have the colours of the triangles in the previous columns. The horizontal stripe has the colour of the first triangle in the row, the vertical stripe has the colour of the second triangle in the row. This is the pattern that leaves only one possible answer for the question mark
That is a black triangle, with a yellow horizontal stripe and a blue vertical stripe.

Are you familiar with the word "horizon"? That's how you remember what horizontal is, vertical is the opposite

I think it's 5. The crossbar pattern is 1 of a color, 2 of another color, and 3 of the other in each row/column.

I'd guess 3
all colors appear x times

That's actually how I remember it, but it might not be intuitive for someone which doesn't have english as a first language

3 variables, in a 3 by 3 matrix = insufficient data

I have found 5 functions so far that meet the requirements and yield different answers. 3 of which have the same number of steps. The other 2 could be ignored on the grounds of finding the "least" complex pattern, but that is never stated so they also could be valid.

horizon is a word of greek origin used by the romans as well, meaning it's common to all romance languages. additionally it's also used in russian so i'm assuming that goes for slavic languages in general, so unless you're a speaker of some barbaric irrelevant language horizon/horizontal is very close to the words you'd use in your native language.

black triangle
I'm expecting it horizontal bar to be blue
so it has to be 7, then

My native language isn't english and i remember it like that. When i'm in "english mode" i "think" in english. Seems natural to me, though i think it reinforced some grammary errors that i often do.

So what's the official answer? Seems like it should be 3, based on the logic most people gave.

OP HERE

Official answer is 3. A lot of people were going for 7.

In your original post you said that there is an official answer, and two valid answers. What are the two valid answers? If you used one of those two, would it count as correct on the test?

where is the rest of the test?

Left to right triangle misses the black triangle.
Top to bottom, misses the blue vertical

3 based sorely on the patterns

OP HERE

There are two patterns that you can use, and depending on which one you use, both 3 and 7 are acceptable, although 3 is the correct one, you can also use 7, but the pattern that leads to it can also lead to other answers as well, therefore if we were to ask you what comes next without giving you possible solutions, you'd have multiple possible figures using the pattern that leads to #7, while only having one solution to the pattern that leads to #3. I explained the patterns for #3 and #7 above, just read the thread again.

3, another unordered test.

3. First, the triangle has to be black, and all 3 colors must be present in the triangle at the right-most end of the row. Second, the color of the cross on top of the triangle is determined as follows:

the horizontal part is the same color as the first triangle, the vertical part is the same color as the second triangle.

Has to be 7.

I should not have to say why the black triangle is necessary.

Every column has 2 vertical and 2 horizontal bars of the same color. Every row has this property as well. Among the ones with black triangles (3,5,7) the only one satisfying this property is 7.

>unless you're a speaker of some barbaric irrelevant language
Fuck u

This is from that Jordan B. Peterson lecture, isn't it OP?

By the way, I chose 7. I looked at only the patterns within the rows, not the columns.

It has to be a black triangle for obvious reasons, leaving 3 and 7.

I favored 7 since if you look at each row the topmost rectangle color is repeated twice in that row (row 1 has the yellow vertical triangle repeated twice, row 3 has the black vertical triangle repeated twice). So picking 7 would be a natural fit for the second row.

I believe JP said the official answer was 3 though.

The problem itselfs seems rather simple, is the official answer bullshit or something?

I'm not OP but I'm sure the answer is 3. Look at every single black triangle. One already has a black vertical bar, another one already has a yellow vertical bar. The only one that does is 3. Same with the other color triangles.

3 because each element (triangle, vert, horiz) would have 3 of each color in the entire matrix. I noticed the triangles first and started with 3/5/7, then I noticed that the bars worked the same way.
t.172 IQ from official Mensa test

no wait its 7

3 seems the go to

So I just goggled up the so-called "test", and it looks pretty shitty. All four "example" questions are this format, three different attributes that can go three different ways, and a 3x3 matrix where you basically do a sort of sudoku to find the missing one.

You guys are all brainlets. It's 7. I'm looking at this by viewing the sequence from left to right.

>Triangle
It's black because for the triangles the color only alternate

>Horizontal & Vertical line
1) Colours do not simply alternate because some colors appear twice on the same row.
2) Hypothesis: The colours appear in terms of "dominance". The more dominant color override the other color
3) Question 1: Which colors dominate each other?
4) Question 2: Are color dominance the same for horizontal and vertical lines?

>Vertical line color dominance
1) Yellow dominates Blue from row 1.
2) Black dominates Blue from row 3.
3) Question 3: Black and Yellow which one dominates?

>Horizontal line color dominance
1) Black dominates Yellow from row 1
2) Blue dominates Yellow from row 3.

>Question 2
1) Looking at row 1 Vertical yellow dominates vertical blue, meanwhile looking at row 3 horizontal blue dominates horizontal yellow.
2) Conclusion: The answer is No. Color dominance is NOT the same for horizontal and vertical lines

>Question 3
1) We know that for Vertical: Yellow>Blue, Black>Blue
2) We know that for Horizontal: Blue> Yellow, Black>Yellow
3) We know that Vertical and Horizontal color dominance is different, thus for Vertical: Yellow>Black

>Question 1
1) If we sum everything from our deductions:
Vertical: Yellow>Black>Blue
Horizontal: Blue>Black>Yellow

>Conclusion
1) Veeky Forums is filled with highschool brainlets that can't even use the scientific method properly
2) It's 7

>the colors appear in terms of dominance
And you lost me on that. The answer is 3.

m-mochi san

The only answer is 3.
Incidence of each color variant of each component occurs no more than 3 times on the left. This excludes 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, leaving only 3; which brings the total count of each color variant of each part to exactly 3. It is very simple.

this is a very common IQ question in the testing of intelligence, the answer is

>3

in spatial IQ tests, they try to go for the culturally fair route and most answers and the process of finding the answer is much simpler a lot of the times even on the higher end of difficulties

also if i were to try to estimate the difficulty level of this question in the form of IQ, it would be around at most

>120

That's what I was thinking. I concluded on 7, but I was also looking at 2,3, and 6.

Can you tell me what this iq test is from? Is it an online test? It seems pretty stupid to me that there are multiple correct answers.

>120

How did you decide that? The question seems pretty easy. I don't think you have to be a genius to get the correct solution.

this one is right

why blue and not yellow?

Each row has three different colors of triangle, thus 3, 5, or 7.

Each row has two same-colored horizontal, thus 1, 2, 6, 7.

Each row has two same-colored vertical, thus 1, 4, 5, 7, 8.

Third column are the only ones with three different colors in them, thus 3, 4, 6, 7.

7 is the only one that fits all patterns. There is no pattern that gives three and not seven.

you're not wrong, you dont have to be genius at all or even moderately gifted, so that is why i chose

>120

at maximum btw. also this question is harder than you think for people who would range in the average range of intelligence at around 95-115. the pattern that solves the problem in itself is easy to understand, but finding it out would be like tunnel vision for other people. you would find out how this feels when you try solving a problem that is above your usual capacity.

>picture's difficulty on its own would be at minimum 150 IQ and above. probably higher

Furthermore, each column must have 2 matching horizontal, two matching vertical, and no matching triangles, thus 7

though i feel like this question is more reasonable to show, it should be solvable by a lot here but would take a while to figure it out. i think this question would be in the range of

>135-145 IQ and above.

(logic being no orientation repeats)

do the diagonals next, brainlet

Elaborate. 3 breaks 3 patterns.

7 makes all 5 patterns complete.

3 follows 3 patterns and breaks 3 patterns whereas 7 follows 5 patterns and breaks 1 pattern.

7 is the more elegant solution.

7 is the brainlet """""solution"

the only pattern is that all colors appear 3 times in each position

3, each row has one picture where all the shaped are differently colored

A blue triangle and a yellow triangle of the mismatched are already accounted for on the upper and lower rows

Then you just apply that thinking to the other shapes

Wrong.

7 follows 5 patterns. As shown and explained by me earlier.

If you can show me 2 more patterns that 3 follows that 7 does not (in addition to diagonals), then I will concede that they are equally viable. If you can show me 3 more patterns that 3 follows that 7 does not then I will concede that 3 is the best.

Until then 7 is superior as it completes the most patterns. You can't arbitrarily pick one pattern and say "oh this one is the best because I say so", so we must go by quantity of patterns.

denial isn't gonna get u anywhere bud

Prove me wrong pal.

Explain why your solution is more elegant than mine. Explain why diagonals are more important than 3 other rules that all other symbols follow.

You cannot.

It's the colors. Nothing else.
3 times
each color
each position

7 breaks total incidence of color per shape, adding an extra yellow vertical line. It isn't a valid choice.

To state my case fully:

The vertical bar must be yellow or black, because each other column has only two colors of vertical bar.

The vertical bar must be yellow or black, because each other row has only two colors of vertical bar.

The horizontal bar must be blue or black, because each row only has two colors of horizontal bar.

The horizontal bar must be blue or black, because each column only has two colors of horizontal bar.

The triangle must be black, because each row has three different colors of triangle.

The triangle must be black, because each column has three different colors of triangle.

The triangle, horizontal bar and vertical bar must be different colors, as column three has only things with three different colors.

If you consider the diagonals from left to right 7 also fits a pattern of three different triangle colors each.

If you consider the diagonals from left to right 7 also fits a pattern of two different horizontal colors.

If you consider the diagonals from left to right 7 also fits a pattern of two different vertical colors

True. But it seems arbitrary to say that that pattern is more valid than all the ones I've listed that 3 breaks.

what's the answer?

I guess 3

it's 2.

it just rotates
black thing right->bottom->left
and if you place leftside one of the 2/3 piece circle to the right side the stripes point downward so 2.

if it rotates in the way that you're saying it does then four lines down in the full circle should be four lines to the side in the 2/3 circle.

four lines down in full circle is a mirror of four lines down in the 2/3 circle.

bottom piece four lines is the only four lines that doesn't look like a mirror, similar to bottom three lines.

Therefore one would expect the rotation to look like 3, not 2, no?

I gotta be honest I cheated a bit while doing it and used paint.
I took the left from the 2piece and rotated it here

Ok but like that's not how the other lines work.

Allow me to explain my picture since I have no paint experience and thus suck shit at using paint.

The reds circles all have four lines. If you rotate them, they do not look like each other.

The blues all have three lines. The one I circled at the bottom more closely follows the 4 line pattern than the one you show. If you rotate any 4 lines they don't look like each other, the same must be true of the three lines.

based on there already being 3 yellow triangles and 3 blue triangles you can already infer that it's a black triangle, but as for the color of the bars, there's 3 yellow verticle and 3 black verticle making blue the obvious choice since there's only 2 and as for the horizontal bar only 2 yellows. So 3 is the correct answer based on those observations.

I see
you are right

The vertical bar must be blue, this is the only vertical bar that is represented twice instead of thrice.

The horizontal bar must be yellow, this is the only horizontal bar that is represented twice instead of thrice.

The triangle must be black, this is the only triangle that is represented twice instead of thrice.

3 is the only answer that allows re-arranging of all the individual parts in a random order so as to present unique problem sets to individuals with only a single correct answer across all possible problem sets.

Basically, the patterns you describe are coincidental and wouldn't work with the problem rearranged randomly in the sort of testing environment that these kinds of tests represent. They're not even particularly self-consistent in that you've sometimes got two of the same thing and sometimes three. You've found meaning where there wasn't in overlooking the more obvious solution of completing the set.

Everything shows up 4 times with 5 except the bottom of the two right-most and the cross-section, which (with five), both show up twice.

what about the blank white?

I fully understand the premise you're coming from as to how 3 fits your pattern but I take issue with the "random reassignment" aspect, as position of shape can and often is integral to these types of tests.

Furthermore, obviousness is quite relative. The first pattern I noticed was row-by-row as part of an organized system propagated throughout the image. The other patterns soon came as I saw the image being governed by a series of mini patterns propagated by rows, columns, and diagonals, forming an elegant solution. While your solution works if you rearrange them, I find that their arrangement is integral to the pattern itself.

Which kind of lends itself to OPs statement that there are two valid answers. I believe mine presents a more elegant image that is validated by several patterns on multiple levels, whereas you view one pattern as concrete. These are arbitrary judgements. You cannot possibly back up your assertion from any objective standard as to why 3 colors is the best system, any more than I can back up with objective logic why adherence to a greater number of patterns is better than any one pattern.

You right. Got distracted while I was working on this so overlooked that. Will reformulate

Still 5. There must be one and only one pattern in the same position between a circle and the circles next to it. (take left most for example. It has only white in common with upper left, and only top left three line in common with bottom left's top left three line).

5 has top left in common with the circle to its left, and top right in common with circle to its right.

Note that it can have the same shape in a different position.

>tfw not cut out
can I make it as a barista?

makes sense

nice

You don't have patterns though.
>The vertical bar must be yellow or black, because each other column and row has only two colors of vertical bar.
isn't a pattern. It is a narrowing of choices. And it isn't even consistent with
>The triangle must be black, because each row and column has three different colors of triangle.

4 yellow vertical lines, 3 black vertical lines, 2 blue vertical lines
4 blue horizontal lines, 3 black horizontal lines, 2 yellow horizontal lines
3 black triangles, 3 yellow triangles, 3 blue triangles

That's not a pattern. That's a mess. OP says there's 2 answers to troll the same way people do with the stupid division problems that get posted.

arbitrary judgements that I don't agree with and you cannot provide any justification for except "no i don't like that pattern".

your 'pattern' is 432432333.
The correct answer's pattern is 333333333.

I think the test maker logic for 5 on this one is that for each step, a single piece rotates once clockwise, starting with the black on the left sector. As it rotates, it covers over whatever piece was in the adjacent sector. When it reaches the bottom sector, it stops there. The next rotation begins with the piece that is on the left sector. So in the beginning, black goes to right, covers radial stripes, reveals the white. Black goes to bottom, reveals radial stripes, covers horizontal stripes. Now since black is at the bottom, and white is on the right, black stays put, and white begins the rotation pattern, and so on.

no my pattern is

yours is

yours is fucked up. Your arbitrary judgement of which pattern is superior is no better than my arbitrary judgement.

THIS. 7 is the superior answer. Only brainlets will be so quick to answer 3.
>hURrrRr dUUruur bacaz there only TWee Calarz for da shapez
please eternally stop breathing if you think like this. no wonder Veeky Forums has been so shit.

7 is wrong. 3 is the answer.

It was from one of the video lectures from jordan peterson. I came here because the comment sections seemed to debate on whether the answer was 3 or 7. I wanted to see what you guys thought. The correct answer was said to be 3. You can find that answer through different ways, 1 of which is to look at the previous triangle colours in the row, the horizontal bar in the last one being the colour of the first triangle in the row and vertical one being the colour of the second triangle in the row. Another pattern would be to see the diagonals, you see that the cross rotates from top right to bottom left, with the colour on the vertical line becoming the previous colour on the horizontal, and the horizontal line becoming the next colour in the sequence, which is black, yellow, blue.

7 is inconsistent since it does not follow that pattern, and what ever pattern leads to #7 leads to other possible patterns as well, which would be wrong.

By that logic, you can have both a black triangle with blue Horizontal and yellow vertical as well as a black triangle with a blue horizontal and black vertical. This means you got more than 1 possible solution with your pattern, therefore it is wrong. Just because the second pattern is not present in the solutions, it doesn't mean that you can go with the one that is present. The pattern you use must have a unique answer, which your logic does not.

This chap has it. If 7 is the answer, you have more partial patterns than you would had you picked 3.

So whilst 7 in of itself may satisfy a greater number of patterns, it neither satisfies what seems to generally be considered the primary, or most overt, pattern, nor do you end up with a great consistency.

>It must have a black triangle since in each row and column every triangle color appears once.
>It must have either a black or blue horizontal bar since in each row and column there are only two different horizontal bar colors.
>It must have either a black or yellow vertical bar since in each row and column there are only two different vertical bar colors.
Only answer 7 fits.

OP here, is the answer 4?

No.

What is it?

Read the thread