Huh interesting

huh interesting

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/backlash-erupts-after-francer-changes-spelling-of-thousands-of-words-a6853551.html
lemonde.fr/education/article/2016/02/16/en-france-l-orthographe-sert-a-se-distinguer-socialement_4866346_1473685.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_description
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

1 is the actual definition, 2 is the plebeian definition

Yeah how dumb can they be, using a word to define itself lmao

Huh, interesting

>Veeky Forums the pedantic pseudo-intellectual Veeky Forums board, was literally blown the fuck out

Dictionaries are often treated as the final arbiter in arguments over a word’s meaning, but they are not always well suited for settling disputes. The lexicographer’s role is to explain how words are (or have been) actually used, not how some may feel that they should be used, and they say nothing about the intrinsic nature of the thing named by a word, much less the significance it may have for individuals. When discussing concepts like racism, therefore, it is prudent to recognize that quoting from a dictionary is unlikely to either mollify or persuade the person with whom one is arguing.

>in effect
>doesn't actually mean in effect

>descriptivism

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>doublespeak
Literally.

explain about intrinsic nature and give an example. By the way, the thread haven't discussed about its usefulness in arguing with the plebs. You can as much argue and persuade people using dictionary based words if you are talking with a right person. The "value" which you are claiming the meanings of words have is like saying Confucianism is great because bunch of braindead Asians prefer it.

>but they are not always well suited for settling disputes, especially disputes I'm losing.

this is what you meant

>butthurt millennial girls changing the meaning of a word because people were making fun of them

Veeky Forums throws tantrums over some stupid shit but this honestly takes the cake

But then again the faggots acting smug about the definition being changed to reflect slang are probably worse

delete this

You think contradicting definitions from descriptivist dictionaries are bad? The French Academy, a prescriptionist body deciding how words are spelled and what they mean (ideally regardless of popular usage) has been altering the French language to make it easier for "poor" "people" and "immigrants" to learn.

Source in English:
independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/backlash-erupts-after-francer-changes-spelling-of-thousands-of-words-a6853551.html
Bullshit reason why, in French:
lemonde.fr/education/article/2016/02/16/en-france-l-orthographe-sert-a-se-distinguer-socialement_4866346_1473685.html

The definition is not being "changed" you dumb cunt, they just added a secondary definition. It's not the dictionary's job to be an arbiter of meaning, they will record words the way they are used.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_description

>Anglo plebs actually believe this

Who runs the place? That is to say who was it that allowed these things to happen?

The example in definition 2 literally doesn't follow.

Also, using literally in that manner is ironic. Only pleb faggots confuse it for a literal new definition.

>native speakers can't be incorrect

kill yourself faggot

is there anything more autistic than people who get bothered about the word 'literally' being used in a non-literal way?
>REEEEEEEE IT'S TOO ILLOGICAL WORDS CAN'T BE USED IN DIFFERENT WAYS

Sometimes I wonder if all the French men with brains and a spinal column died at Dien Bien Phu and Verdun.

oh and , you know, shakespeare

Literally is a junk word anyway.

I challenge you to give me a sentence where the word is needed at all.

>comparing the degenerate consumerist whores raised on ebonics and television to Shakespeare
>allowing the barely literate to craft and guide linguistic customs
no

War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength
Literal is not

I don't get it though... Nobody uses it to mean "virtually": they use it as an intensifier.

Anyone who thinks that the meanings of words can't, don't, and shouldn't change is fucking retarded. It's not a barrier to communication so why the fuck do you care you autists.

>i'm so fucking autistic that i don't understand exaggeration

buncha proles couldnt stop misusing it so they caved